Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    I agree with what you are saying here. Apparently Diana does fly in other comics, at least we have now seen her as a streak of light in Justice League versus the hovering aspect that we have seen in her book.

I would love that she uses her powers consistently. But I am afraid that Azz is going to be doing some of that 'temporary' tinkering as you put it. If she doesn't go into 'god-mode' against foes like Orion, that just makes her plain stupid. The swords out of her cuffs is just stupid (at least to me).

I don't want to see her lose to Orion and then later take off the cuffs and saying something like 'round two' and win. I want to know what the consequences are when she takes off the cuffs for a long period of time. If, in issue one, she was sleeping without the cuffs, how come it was easy enough for her to restrain herself when Zola came in. Doesn't sound to me like too much of a bad side effect.

Please Azz, explain her powers to us a little more than you have, or is VAGUE what you are shooting for!
    Apparently this isn't like the Berzerker Rage where she loses control over her faculties.

Am I the only person who doesn't at all care about power levels? She's as strong as the story needs her to be, no more, no less. I don't chart a shows how many hundreds of tons she can bench press, how fast she is, how high she can jump or how flexible she is. Especially since it'll just be contradicted somewhere down the line. I just enjoy her feats of strength as they happen.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomFalls View Post
    Am I the only person who doesn't at all care about power levels? She's as strong as the story needs her to be, no more, no less. I don't chart a shows how many hundreds of tons she can bench press, how fast she is, how high she can jump or how flexible she is. Especially since it'll just be contradicted somewhere down the line. I just enjoy her feats of strength as they happen.
    I don't think any of the posters were specifically asking about exact strength levels. That is just a common argument or trope that posters make when they feel it is devolving into specifics.

But, the as strong as the story needs to be is also a big cop out, especially for the writer. Let's see, we will give her a villain that is the ultimate bad-ass, have her/him toss our hero around like confetti, but when the arc nears the end, have the hero become as strong or stronger so they can win. They were just holding back.

Or, when she/he is shown to be able to toss mountains, she comes up against a group of ninjas and either has trouble/loses to them, because she was as strong as the story needed.

Nope, I would rather have consistency with powers over vagueness of being as strong as the story needs.

BANNED

Nope, I would rather have consistency with powers over vagueness of being as strong as the story needs.
    But isn't the overcoming of seemingly impossible odds one of the appeals of superhero comics?

Sure but maybe its just the engineer in me I like a nice mostly defined range.
    Black History Month & 29 Days in February

U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RandomFalls View Post
    With most other heroes in both DC and Marvel, you know where they sit. Is she Spider-Man strong? The Thing Strong? Thor?

Or if you want to go DC is she Starfire stong? Cyborg? Donna Troy? Captain Atom? Captain Marvel?

Does she struggle to life a battletank or a battleship?
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    With most other heroes in both DC and Marvel, you know where they sit. Is she Spider-Man strong? The Thing Strong? Thor?

Or if you want to go DC is she Starfire stong? Cyborg? Donna Troy? Captain Atom? Captain Marvel?

Does she struggle to life a battletank or a battleship?
    Think thats pretty easy to say when it comes to Wonder Woman: At the top.

Moderate Moderator Javier Velasco's Avatar

I have always felt that since Diana's mythological powers are based in magic (rather than science) exact measurements are not needed.

Look at Hercules.

In one story, he is struggling while wrestling with the Nemean Lion.
    In the next, he is holding up the Heavens for Atlas.
    In one story he is struggling with the Erymantheian Boar.
    I the next, he is wrestling Death to a standstill for the life of Alcestis.

Her strength should be applicable to the task on hand. Unlike Superman who is a science based hero, making his strength subject to the laws of physics.

I don't let grudges go so easily. Have stayed off his title since, but I do get Justice League.
    If you're skipping Action for JL, your grudge is only hurting yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Javier Velasco View Post
    I have always felt that since Diana's mythological powers are based in magic (rather than science) exact measurements are not needed.

Look at Hercules.

In one story, he is struggling while wrestling with the Nemean Lion.
    In the next, he is holding up the Heavens for Atlas.
    In one story he is struggling with the Erymantheian Boar.
    I the next, he is wrestling Death to a standstill for the life of Alcestis.

Her strength should be applicable to the task on hand. Unlike Superman who is a science based hero, making his strength subject to the laws of physics.
    Comic physics may as well be magic...
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post

Comic physics may as well be magic...
    Exactly. If we want to limit Superman to real life physics, then he wouldn't be able to fly, or perform any of his other super feats.

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    Don't care if Action is great, the fact that the writers/editors pissed me off so much during the kryptonian arc just made me bitter and as a result I will not buy the Superman comics. I guess it is my way to boycott the title with my wallet.

I did the same thing when the spider clone saga played out. I used to buy all the Spiderman titles, but I stopped cold turkey after that fiasco. Sometimes, you can only take so much.
    Last edited by wagthedog; 01-09-2013 at 05:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    But isn't the overcoming of seemingly impossible odds one of the appeals of superhero comics?
    When she took on Apollo, how was she overcoming seemingly impossible odds? She took off her cuffs, Apollo got dusted, fight over.

Doesn't sound like she had to use her smarts to win the fight. She had it all along, all she had to do was take off the cuffs.

BANNED

When she took on Apollo, how was she overcoming seemingly impossible odds?
    Because we readers didn't know she could do that.

Azz has kept her powers vague. She is as strong as he wants her to be, and when she needs more, he comes up with the god-mode contrivance.

Maybe later on, Hephaestus can have a invisible plane come out of her bracelets.
    Hahaha... sadly, probably.

Don't care if Action is great, the fact that the writers/editors pissed me off so much during the kryptonian arc just made me bitter and as a result I will not buy the Superman comics. I guess it is my way to boycott the title with my wallet.
    Except you're boycotting it years later when it has a completely different creative team that have nothing to do with the several years old story you're boycotting...just sayin'...
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...