View Poll Results: Are Roger Stern and JM Dematteis the best Spider-Man writers since Stan Lee?

Voters
52. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes, they are.

25 48.08%
  • Nah, someone else was better than one or both of them.

27 51.92%
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

To me, the TWO BEST Spider-Writers were MARV WOLFMAN and J.M.DeMATTEIS!

Don't get me wrong. I liked RogerStern's Spidey--but ONLY half of it! I remembered him from SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN so when I saw that he had taken over Amazing SM, my heart sank! And for the first few issues (Vulture to Black Cat depowered) my fears were realized. Then he did that wonderful Juggernaut story, only to follow up with a string of mediocre plots: an O.K. Mr.Hyde story then an abominable sequence that seemed to go on forever, as The Tarantula was transformed into--a GIANT TARANTULA! Then here we go with The Vulture again, one of my least favorite Spidey villains. But before all seemed lost Stern just went on a tear where it seemed he could do no wrong.

Sure the Hobgoblin mystery was the first "Who is The Green Goblin" saga, warmed over, but I didn't care--I bought every issue that had him on the cover! So, I think Roger ended his run on a high note but after a VERY slow start!

By contrast, Marv's tenure began with Three just O.K. villains (The Rocket Racer, The Big Wheel and The White Dragon, who's not bad at all, upon reflection) but their weak status as baddies was barely noticeable because the STORIES were so much fun! Spidey's razor sharp "quip" machine was back! Peter Parker had also returned (under Len Wein, Parker was often M.I.A) and Marv's expertise at folding in sub-plots and counter sub-plots (a skill honed on THE TOMB OF DRACULA) was in top form! When Stern's tenure ended, it bothered me but I was willing to give Tom DeFalco a chance. When Wolfman left, I was FURIOUS, ESPECIALLY since I had just re-newed my subscription! The silver linings for this "dark cloud" were Marv's next two projects: BATMAN and a little comic called THE NEW TEEN TITANS! (Oh, and I almost forgot, a brief but exciting tenure on Action Comics!)

As for DeMatteis, well, I've already praised his work numerous times on the Spidey boards so I'll let those suffice...
    Last edited by LEADER DESSLOK; 01-03-2013 at 02:36 PM.
    FAV Comics: Lil' ABNER, DICK TRACY, BATMAN, UNCLE SCROOGE, KAMUI, TOMB OF DRACULA, THE MIGHTY THOR by LEE\KIRBY, WONDER WOMAN by PEREZ\KAREN BERGER, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 1-206 and EC COMICS!

I'll probably change my ranking of post-Stan Lee writers every month or fortnight, but the often underrated Gerry Conway would probably always occupy the #1 or #2 spot. The other members of the top seven include (in alphabetical order) Brian Michael Bendis (for Ultimate Spider-Man), Peter A. David (get well soon!), Tom DeFalco (partly for Spider-Girl), J. Marc DeMatteis, Roger Stern, and J. Michael Straczynski, and so depending on the phase of the Moon any one of them can be in my top two alongside Gerry Conway.

(I feel I have to mention Bendis and DeFalco as the questions "who is the best Ultimate Spider-Man writer" and "who is the best Spider-Girl writer" are unlikely to come up for a very obvious reason - there effectively are no others).
    Last edited by Menshevik; 01-03-2013 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Menshevik View Post
    I'll probably change my ranking of post-Stan Lee writers every month or fortnight, but the often underrated Gerry Conway would probably always occupy the #1 or #2 spot. The other members of the top seven include (in alphabetical order) Brian Michael Bendis (for Ultimate Spider-Man), Peter A. David (get well soon!), Tom DeFalco (partly for Spider-Girl), J. Marc DeMatteis, Roger Stern, and J. Michael Straczynski, and so depending on the phase of the Moon any one of them can be in my top two alongside Gerry Conway.

(I feel I have to mention Bendis and DeFalco as the questions "who is the best Ultimate Spider-Man writer" and "who is the best Spider-Girl writer" are unlikely to come up for a very obvious reason - there effectively are no others).
    I'd concur with your list and how often it changes.
    Founder and member of the Spidey 500 Club: Class of 2013.

Come join the club!

I like both writers, but they are not the best since Stan Lee.

I think a top ten list would need both of them in it, plus Conway, JMS, Jenkins, Slott, Busiek and DeFalco

I'd say Bendis is probably an easy second

Quote Originally Posted by LEADER DESSLOK View Post
    To me, the TWO BEST Spider-Writers were MARV WOLFMAN and J.M.DeMATTEIS!

Don't get me wrong. I liked RogerStern's Spidey--but ONLY half of it! I remembered him from SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN so when I saw that he had taken over Amazing SM, my heart sank! And for the first few issues (Vulture to Black Cat depowered) my fears were realized. Then he did that wonderful Juggernaut story, only to follow up with a string of mediocre plots: an O.K. Mr.Hyde story then an abominable sequence that seemed to go on forever, as The Tarantula was transformed into--a GIANT TARANTULA! Then here we go with The Vulture again, one of my least favorite Spidey villains. But before all seemed lost Stern just went on a tear where it seemed he could do no wrong.

Sure the Hobgoblin mystery was the first "Who is The Green Goblin" saga, warmed over, but I didn't care--I bought every issue that had him on the cover! So, I think Roger ended his run on a high note but after a VERY slow start!

By contrast, Marv's tenure began with Three just O.K. villains (The Rocket Racer, The Big Wheel and The White Dragon, who's not bad at all, upon reflection) but their weak status as baddies was barely noticeable because the STORIES were so much fun! Spidey's razor sharp "quip" machine was back! Peter Parker had also returned (under Len Wein, Parker was often M.I.A) and Marv's expertise at folding in sub-plots and counter sub-plots (a skill honed on THE TOMB OF DRACULA) was in top form! When Stern's tenure ended, it bothered me but I was willing to give Tom DeFalco a chance. When Wolfman left, I was FURIOUS, ESPECIALLY since I had just re-newed my subscription! The silver linings for this "dark cloud" were Marv's next two projects: BATMAN and a little comic called THE NEW TEEN TITANS! (Oh, and I almost forgot, a brief but exciting tenure on Action Comics!)

As for DeMatteis, well, I've already praised his work numerous times on the Spidey boards so I'll let those suffice...
    Wolfman too! You sold me on him.

I can't think of a bad writer on SM

Just Sayin'

I don't think Dematteis was all that good, certainly not the second (or third best) after Stan Lee. He did a lot of mediocre stuff. I can't really think of one really good story from him except for Kraven's Hunt. I really liked Roy Thomas's short run. The 6 armed Spider-Man and the creation of Morbius was instant classics (plus it was the first Spider-Man story I ever read, they were reprints at my library). Also Gerry Conway would be up there too, in fact I'd put both of these guys above Stern and Dematteis.
    Support titles that need supporting. Quit buying, reading and complaining about comics you don't enjoy.

I'd probably put DeMatteis 3rd or 4th. I can't think of anything bad he wrote, and #400, Lost Years and his Spectacular run are among the best Spider-Man stories ever. His second, post clone saga run, is unbelievable too and a real return to the title's 'classic' feel.

I seem to remember some pretty darned good stories from Marv Wolfman, too. Yes, Conway was good, and Bill Mantlo had some good stories in Spectacular Spiderman. I really don't associate DeMatteis with Spiderman that much. Peter David had some great stories as well, though he didn't stay too long with Spidey (loved his Spiderman:2099).

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Brown View Post
    I don't think Dematteis was all that good, certainly not the second (or third best) after Stan Lee. He did a lot of mediocre stuff. I can't really think of one really good story from him except for Kraven's Hunt. I really liked Roy Thomas's short run. The 6 armed Spider-Man and the creation of Morbius was instant classics (plus it was the first Spider-Man story I ever read, they were reprints at my library). Also Gerry Conway would be up there too, in fact I'd put both of these guys above Stern and Dematteis.
    Great point about Thomas' run. I'd forgotten that, thanks!

Junior Member Invisible Martian Archer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Smith View Post
    Slott is already better than Dematteis. I coudn't even name Dematteis stories off the top of my head. Meanwhile, NO ONE DIES and BIG TIME and the time travel 2-parter, and SPIDER-ISLAND, and yes DYING WISH will all go down as classics
    100% wrong since 1978.

DeMatteis is the MAN on Spidey! His Spectacular run was epic and he was matched beautifully by Sal Buscema's art. Slott MAY have written a spidey tale or two but nothing close to Kraven's Last Hunt. Slott's Spidey run will be remember for Spock and nothing else.
    Squad Level - 1600+
    Signature Hero - Dark Surfer
    Repeated question - When are we getting new SHSO card game content?

100% alive since 1978 Ben Smith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Slott is a blast to read and is not only fun but he references continuity better than anyone and writes big epics very well; on the other hand, he doesn't hit the emotional beast the way JMD did.
    I disagree. No One Dies, "I'm going to save them all" from Spider-Island, Silver Sable dying, ASM 700. All much better to me than JMD's false melodrama.
    "I'm sending him a bouquet of cans."

SW

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I think it's problematic to count JMD's later work against him.
    Why? If you're the "best" writer, then that suggests the sum of your work should hold up against all the others. For all the great things Dematties did (Kraven's Last Hunt) he had a metric ton of mediocrity in his time with the character too. that only suggests to me that if you write the book long enough, you're bound to write a few gems here or there. (Kraven's Last Hunt wasn't even created as a Spider-Man story, it was a Batman story)

Meanwhile, Bendis on Ultimate Spider-Man has been consistently excellent. Slott has, at best, written classics, and at worst written "just good" stories.

SW

Quote Originally Posted by Invisible Martian Archer View Post
    DeMatteis is the MAN on Spidey! His Spectacular run was epic and he was matched beautifully by Sal Buscema's art.
    Sal Buscema? that explains everything really...

SW

Sal Buscema? that explains everything really...
    Sal Buscema was infinite times better than that guy who used to draw buttonholes for eyes.

I disagree. No One Dies, "I'm going to save them all" from Spider-Island, Silver Sable dying, ASM 700. All much better to me than JMD's false melodrama.
    All though i enjoyed Slott's material all the way with only a certain 700 marked exception, i wouldn't dare to compare his work with Dematteis's masterworks.
    It's perfectly fine if you do not like JMD but you can't avoid some facts