View Poll Results: Are Roger Stern and JM Dematteis the best Spider-Man writers since Stan Lee?

Voters
52. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes, they are.

    25 48.08%
  • Nah, someone else was better than one or both of them.

    27 51.92%
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 199
  1. #91
    Exudes Awesomeness oldschool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    10,568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I think Slott missed the boat in ASM 700 when spoilers:
    Pete was so chill about handing over his life to Ock. Traditionally, Pete is not a "Zen" kind of guy. If you violate his personal space, he tends to get mega-pissed, and he will not suffer people threatening his family. That felt really off.
    end of spoilers

    On the flipside, JMD & Crew made Pete uncharacteristically jerkish during the Clone Saga...
    Yeah, I know what you mean about #700----there were a number of things that could have been approached differently. However, I reread #698-700 again in one sitting a few days ago and I think Peter came across as initially determined to reverse the process but, by the final pages of #700, when it dawned upon him that his "Hail Mary" had failed, he reacted exactly as Peter should----concerned only for MJ and Aunt May and not for himself just as Peter should be written. In fact, his final words---cut off mid-sentence---were powerful and hit the emotional beat just perfectly.
    "What oldschool said"
    The Shadow, 2008

  2. #92
    Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    13,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled Mutie View Post
    Huh, what? When did I say that? Do I have a personal Doc Ock controlling my actions involuntarily and whom I am unaware of?
    My bad--that was Lars C!

    I don't think we're too far apart here, though...I do think Spidey wisecracks to relieve tension, but only up to a point. After that the kid gloves are off.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

  3. #93
    Post Editing OCD Confuzzled Mutie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thompson View Post
    Excuse me? To paraphrase Hawkeye from The Avengers movie, you and I have very different memories of those moments.



    That first panel from the #121 page is kinda goofy. As is Spidey's panic in the entire Kraven page. Infact, it is the juxtaposition of Peter trying to make serious moments extremely light against the tragedies which actually strike despite his efforts, which makes the effect and power of these scenes something else altogether.
    Last edited by Confuzzled Mutie; 01-03-2013 at 07:07 AM.

  4. #94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled Mutie View Post
    That first panel from the #121 page is kinda goofy. As is Spidey's panic in the entire Kraven page.
    You have a very different definition of "goofy" than I have, apparently.
    Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.

  5. #95
    Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    13,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Yeah, I know what you mean about #700----there were a number of things that could have been approached differently. However, I reread #698-700 again in one sitting a few days ago and I think Peter came across as initially determined to reverse the process but, by the final pages of #700, when it dawned upon him that his "Hail Mary" had failed, he reacted exactly as Peter should----concerned only for MJ and Aunt May and not for himself just as Peter should be written. In fact, his final words---cut off mid-sentence---were powerful and hit the emotional beat just perfectly.
    Well, the writer is responsible for creating an impossible situation. But I disagree that Pete would be okay with his solution, or remotely confident that it would work out as he intended. It was a deus ex machina that only makes sense from a comic readers' perspective, but certainly not the characters. This is a guy who was willing to wipe out two-thirds of humanity to make a point, and suddenly he's going to be a hero because he's got some warm, fuzzy memories? It's like the Hallmark Channel version.

    Felt the same way about Peter's whole "I can't be Spider-Man if I kill" bit. Spider-Man isn't a mantle; he doesn't kill because Peter doesn't. But if Peter decided to cross that line, he'd take Spider-Man over it with him. He didn't create the role to represent the greater good, and he's been called a murderer for years. So it's not like the public would lose all faith in humanity if Spider-Man did what everyone assumes he's been doing since Jonah took up the press against him.
    Last edited by David Walton; 01-03-2013 at 07:09 AM.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

  6. #96
    Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    13,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thompson View Post
    You have a very different definition of "goofy" than I have, apparently.
    Yeah, nothing especially goofy about the moment when Peter realizes things just got real.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

  7. #97
    Senior Member Lars C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    My bad--that was Lars C!

    I don't think we're too far apart here, though...I do think Spidey wisecracks to relieve tension, but only up to a point. After that the kid gloves are off.
    But I also gave some examples of fun stories by DeMatteis. It was someone else who said he lacked on the fun bit.

  8. #98
    Post Editing OCD Confuzzled Mutie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thompson View Post
    You have a very different definition of "goofy" than I have, apparently.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Yeah, nothing especially goofy about the moment when Peter realizes things just got real.
    I am actually talking about Peter's goofball commentary juxtaposed against the harsh reality of the situation in question, before he realized shit just got real-



    It makes the tragedies that more poignant when you consider that he held out hope up until the very last second.

  9. #99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled Mutie View Post
    I am actually talking about Peter's goofball commentary juxtaposed against the harsh reality of the situation in question, before he realized shit just got real-



    It makes the tragedies that more poignant when you consider that he held out hope up until the very last second.
    Still not sure how you see that as being "goofy", but okay.
    Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.

  10. #100
    Post Editing OCD Confuzzled Mutie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thompson View Post
    Still not sure how you see that as being "goofy", but okay.
    See those words in Spidey's speech balloons?

  11. #101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled Mutie View Post
    See those words in Spidey's speech balloons?
    Yeah, those don't strike me as being "goofy". No need to get insulting, mate. You still have yet to actually say what you think makes what he's saying "goofy".
    Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.

  12. #102
    Post Editing OCD Confuzzled Mutie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thompson View Post
    Yeah, those don't strike me as being "goofy". No need to get insulting, mate. You still have yet to actually say what you think makes what he's saying "goofy".
    ...Are you for real, dude?

  13. #103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled Mutie View Post
    ...Are you for real, dude?
    Yeah. What is you find "goofy" about that dialogue?
    Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.

  14. #104
    Post Editing OCD Confuzzled Mutie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thompson View Post
    Yeah. What is you find "goofy" about that dialogue?
    The fact that he starts congratulating himself in non-stop hyperbolic manner when he thinks he has saved Gwen from certain death. In the Last Hunt scene, he refers to Kraven as "Kravey" and applies a tinge of gallows humor. In both cases, he is trying to make light of apparent dire situations.

  15. #105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled Mutie View Post
    The fact that he starts congratulating himself in non-stop hyperbolic manner when he thinks he has saved Gwen from certain death. In the Last Hunt scene, he refers to Kraven as "Kravey" and applies a tinge of gallows humor. In both cases, he is trying to make light of apparent dire situations.
    I'd agree with both those things, though I'd call neither of them "goofy". A "goofy" statement would have been something like him saying "I wonder what Aunt May's cooking for dinner?" during those moments.

    As I said, I just think we have different definitions for the word "goofy". What you call "goofy" in the first, I'd call "relieved", and what you'd call "goofy" in the second I'd call "panicked".
    Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •