Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Looking for a new comic to read

I don't come to the Image threads a lot, but I want to read a new Image comic or just comic from any other publisher. I'm just coming to the Image forum because Image has some quality books that I really like.
    I dislike Marvel, but I loved Cosmic Marvel. I read most DC books. And I read Valiant. Then I read only my favorite Image books.
    These are some of my favorite books of the kinds of tones I am looking for: Invincible, Astounding Wolf-man, The Walking Dead, Chew, Morning Glories, Sweet Tooth, Savage Dragon, Saga, We3, etc.
    Overall, I am looking for something good to read. And I would much rather read something that already has a lot of issues out. Or just a lot of reading material.
    Can you recommend me anything? THANKS!

Storm Dogs - only 2 issues out, but check it out, it's worth it.

As described by its writer David Hine - a sci fi noir. Or as someone on CBR said - Firefly meets CSI. The art is by Doug Braithwaite.

Elephantmen - 44 issues out from the main series, not counting the odd mini/one-shot.

The Island of Dr Moreau meets Blacksad in a Blade Runner setting.

http://www.hipflask.com/issues/index.html

The trades are at the top, click on each to go to its page with the individual issues it contains, with excerpts.
    Last edited by passer-by; 01-02-2013 at 10:10 PM.

I'm a big fan of Image, but looking at the stuff you read and that you want something with a few issues behind it the first recommendation that jumps to mind is The Goon published by Dark Horse. It's really great! Just read issues 39 and 40 if you can pick them up locally or order them here. There are currently 43 issues with #44 coming out next week.

You thought about getting into Top Cow stuff?
    Ron Marz had a fantastic 70 issue run on Witchblade. Hesters Darkness was great and David Hines done great things since taking over. Artifacts is a good gateway in and Cyberforce just relaunched (first 5 issues are free). Plus Aphrodite IX is launching on FCBD.

Quote Originally Posted by groovemachine View Post
    I'm a big fan of Image, but looking at the stuff you read and that you want something with a few issues behind it the first recommendation that jumps to mind is The Goon published by Dark Horse. It's really great! Just read issues 39 and 40 if you can pick them up locally or order them here. There are currently 43 issues with #44 coming out next week.
    I'll check out Goon. Thanks!
    I think I've tried one issue before, but I hated the art. I can try it again from the start though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    You thought about getting into Top Cow stuff?
    Ron Marz had a fantastic 70 issue run on Witchblade. Hesters Darkness was great and David Hines done great things since taking over. Artifacts is a good gateway in and Cyberforce just relaunched (first 5 issues are free). Plus Aphrodite IX is launching on FCBD.
    My only problem with these books is that there are half-naked women running around all of the time. I don't usually mind that, but every page looks like a pin up.

Thats kinda one of the things Ron Marz tackled in Witchblade. He turned it from a TnA focused superhero book into more of a supernatural police drama. Characters became more developed and he made the mythology of he TPU more interwoven. I always point at Marz run as the antithesis to the cliche 90's bad girl stuff. Especially when Stejpan Sejic comes onboard for art duties. Id give it a chance if fear of the cheescake factor is the only thing keeping you from checking it out.

TnA hasnt really been showcased in the recent Darkness runs. Especially Hines current run which is more of a horror book.

A fan of Invvincible should like Dynamo 5... its 5 trades and its finished.

Since you mention Marvel cosmic, you might be interested in hard scifi; for a truly great comic I recommend Prophet. It made top 10 in quite a few best of year lists and deservedly so.
    KingConan|Hellboy|BlackScience|EastOfWest|Fatale|L azarus|Prophet|Saga|Umbral|Velvet|Harbinger|Rai|Unity|XO
    ASW|Batman|GL+C|JL+U|RL|SwampThing|WonderWoman
    _ N U Avengers|Cap|DD|MK|Thor

Yeah id also rec Prophet. Quite possibly my favorite book out now. Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Quest Mar-Vell View Post
    A fan of Invvincible should like Dynamo 5... its 5 trades and its finished.
    This is what I was just coming in here to suggest.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (WIP):
    http://invincibleuniversewiki.wikispaces.com/home

Since you're a Adventure Time fan, you should read the Adventure Time comic. It's pretty damn good.

Manhattan Projects
    "That's the thing about the Phoenix. There always has to be destruction... Before rebirth. " - Scott Summers

Quote Originally Posted by capuga View Post
    This is what I was just coming in here to suggest.
    A third vote for Dynamo 5. If you like cryptids or different stoies, try Proof.
    Pull List Saga, Invincible, Walking Dead, Chew, Peter Panzerfaust, Superior Spidey, Animal Man, Aquaman, Harbinger, X-O Manowar

government's watching you matt levin's Avatar
    western Massachusetts, USA; rural, river valley

I'd sure support "The Goon", one of those I've come late to the party for, but I'm a big supporter, now. Also, grab up the five volumes and new, last issues, of "Locke and Key" by Joe Hill, a family drama with deep and disturbing supernatural elements-- while with Goon, you might just come in anywhere, I suggest reading Locke and Key from the start. "Elephant Men" is good solid, character-driven SF. Also, everything I've listed in my signature, below, is there 'cause it's given me a LOT of great reading pleasure: browse and buy and support those titles, please! (I thinks y'gonna like'm!) And, of course, for the best in high adventure, political satire, incredible drawing and outright prolonged silliness: Cerebus. Admittedly by the last two volumes it goes wildly astray into aggravating social rants, it nonetheless remains highly- to mostly-entertaining all the way through.
    Walking Man Comics

Age/Bronze-A.S.Westrn-AstroCity-Amelia-CourtneyC.-Brody'sGhost-DD-Dial H-Fables-Fatale-Fell-Goon-Groo-Hellboy-Mudman-NextWave-Rocketeer-StarDrop-Thief-Usagi-Wolff/Byrd-Unwritten

I have to say I wasn't too impressed with Dynamo 5 for some reason. I give it an 'A' for effort, but something about the delivery was lacking. There's a ton of new Image comics that I have yet to get around to, but am soooo far behind still in my reading. Ones I can recommend that have plenty of issues to read are:

100 Bullets
    American Vampire
    Atomic Robo
    Locke & Key
    Mice Templar
    Powers
    Rachel Rising
    Scalped
    Sixth Gun
    Y: The Last Man
    Last edited by 4saken1; 01-06-2013 at 02:46 PM.