Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jmresp View Post
    Ben wasn't that popular (in the like category) after the big reveal of the Clone Saga. So Marvel basically did away with him as a way to make Peter turn out to be the true Spider-Man by making Ben disintegrate like all the clones did in the storyline. I enjoyed Ben as the Scarlet Spider, not as much as Spider-Man. I can't remember what issue it was, but there was a great scene when Aunt May was dying and talking to Peter and Ben was outside balling his eyes out because he couldn't go to her himself. There are ways to bring Ben back, but you have to have the right writer with the desire to bring him back like a Geoff Johns. Ben has gotten more popular over time especially since OMD because you literally had had a single Spider-Man that could have been taken in any direction without messing with Peter's. Just chalk it up for now as a opportunity lost. Now with Kaine being reformed it is unlikely to see Ben anytime soon. Also the best villian for Ben was Kaine.
    There are lots of people who want Ben back, many at Cons had ask previous and current writer of Spider-man; when they going to bring Ben. It was not a miss opportunity, Marvel just didnt went down a obvious road.
    ...Iiii? ...Kotae wa kiitenai!

I suspect that if Ben Reilly didn't die at the end of the clone saga, he would have been killed off at a later point.

He was someone whose death would affect Peter, and there was the perception that he was redundant with Peter Parker as Spider-Man.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

Again, I'd have to disagree. Aside from the lost years, and the early issues when Ben had returned to New York, I never saw him as being particularly cynical. He had a rough life, but overcame his circumstances. To quote Ben, "life is in the living."
    Last edited by Wiggie_Stardust; 01-05-2013 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thompson View Post
    You mean more than the differences they already had?
    Yeah. Because Ben and Peter ARE very different in a lot of ways, but part of Ben's thing at the time was that he was a cooler, single Peter Parker, whereas at that point Peter not only had the ever-controversial marriage, he had been through all of this weird stuff around then and had this baggage. With Kaine being Scarlet Spider, I'm just saying they'd need to come up with a unique premise besides Ben just being another Spider-Man that is kinda Peter but not. Then again, there are 99696967857 books about Wolverine, so having another Spider-Man might work.

I always thought it'd be cool if Ben returned as a villain, under someone's control, to fight Kaine. It'd be a fun reversal. Eventually, Kaine would save him and maybe the book could feature Ben as a supporting character. Scarlet Spiders, maybe?

Don't get me wrong, though. If Ben Reilly ever comes back, I am there, no question.
    Last edited by refrax5; 01-05-2013 at 10:42 AM.

Screw the rules I have $$ Seto Kaiba's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Don't pee in the (Dead)pool View Post
    He also had advantages that Peter didn't. One prime example being his fight with Venom; Ben had no history with Venom and was able to out-think and out-fight him.
    Peter was terrified of Venom, accepted a truce and let him leave New York to keep administering his form of 'Justice'.
    Ben, however, took none of Venom's crap, broke the truce and shut him down. He had no fear of Venom whatsoever.
    Also, the Stingers and Impact Webbing were great additions to Spider-Man's arsenal and should have remained.
    Well there's also the fact that Ben's Spider-Sense worked on Venom. I wouldn't say that Peter was AFRAID of Venom. Maybe tired of having to look over his shoulder constantly and such. Then again, Venom was pretty much in his prime back then.

But yeah, Ben was far from "just like Peter Parker". And he and Kaine were certainly not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Seto Kaiba View Post
    Well there's also the fact that Ben's Spider-Sense worked on Venom. I wouldn't say that Peter was AFRAID of Venom. Maybe tired of having to look over his shoulder constantly and such. Then again, Venom was pretty much in his prime back then.
    Peter admitted on several occasions that he was afraid of Venom. However, the way that ASM #375 played out did make it seem as though both characters were tired of the rigmarole of their dynamic; so you may have a point, there.

But yeah, Ben was far from "just like Peter Parker". And he and Kaine were certainly not the same.
    Agreed on the differences between Ben and Kaine. Clone mutation, 'Mark Of Kaine' powers and premonitions of the future notwithstanding, Kaine's continued pursuit of - and murderous intent towards - Ben was a biggie.
    R.I.P. Don't pee in the (Dead)pool, November 2007 - January 2013

Quote Originally Posted by ZetaOmega0 View Post
    There are lots of people who want Ben back, many at Cons had ask previous and current writer of Spider-man; when they going to bring Ben. It was not a miss opportunity, Marvel just didnt went down a obvious road.
    Not debating that people want Ben back. I want him back too. There was a missed opportunity using the character to build up for a Scarlet Spider series.

I'd also like to mention something that hasn't been brought up yet and that is the relationship between Ben and Peter.
    They considered themselves to be brothers, family. When Ben died, it bothered me. I understand why the choice was made to kill him off, though.
    However, what bothered me more is that - since the end of "Revelations" - Ben's death has hardly been referenced or mentioned. Peter's brother died and was pretty much forgotten instantly.
    That doesn't really sit well, in my opinion.
    R.I.P. Don't pee in the (Dead)pool, November 2007 - January 2013

He's better off dead.
    Ben was only interesting if he was the true Peter. I wished Marvel had the courage to go against fans' fears that their collection of Pollard, Romita Jr, Frenz, McFarlane and Bagley issues featured an impostor. But erasing 20 years of history was huge as Marvel eventually found out in 2008.

Nevertheless that's still my preferred solution to getting rid of the marriage.

Ben had to die so that he could degenerate. Otherwise the fans would have to take Osborn's word for it that Peter was the original, and the story would lack finality.

I honestly don't know what the point of bringing him back would be. He's too similar to Peter, and while there are differences between the two, there aren't enough to justify giving him his own series. I'm much happier with Kaine (a very different character) as Scarlet Spider and Ben in the grave. I wouldn't mind seeing some more Lost Years stories though, especially if DeMatteis is involved.

As much as I like Ben, I also think he should stay dead at this point in time. It's Kaine's turn now. I could be down for a Spider-Men style mini though. Kaine could team with the Ben from the newer six issue Clone Saga mini, (who lived in the end, unlike 616 Ben) via interdimentional travel.

Quote Originally Posted by jmresp View Post
    Not debating that people want Ben back. I want him back too. There was a missed opportunity using the character to build up for a Scarlet Spider series.
    I dont want Ben back as the Scarlet Spider, it feels a step back for his character development.
    ...Iiii? ...Kotae wa kiitenai!

Quote Originally Posted by Leocomix View Post
    He's better off dead.
    Ben was only interesting if he was the true Peter. I wished Marvel had the courage to go against fans' fears that their collection of Pollard, Romita Jr, Frenz, McFarlane and Bagley issues featured an impostor. But erasing 20 years of history was huge as Marvel eventually found out in 2008.

Nevertheless that's still my preferred solution to getting rid of the marriage.
    I agree about the marriage part and while I respect your opinion on the matter, I know that a lot of Reilly fans---myself included---actually liked Ben before he was the "one, true Spider-Man." I kinda preferred him as a guy who knew that wasn't his life and had to struggle with the fact that his good qualities weren't even really his own and that he might not be technically human, but who still soldiered on. I liked Ben as that guy who had sort of been to dark places even Peter never had and was a bit tougher and more weathered. I thought biker Ben/Scarlet Spider was when he was at his most unique and interesting.

That said, I really do love Kaine as Scarlet Spider and I don't want to lose that character or have him go back to being a villain to have Ben back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    He was someone whose death would affect Peter, and there was the perception that he was redundant with Peter Parker as Spider-Man.
    What a sad statement about people, if true.
    Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thompson View Post
    What a sad statement about people, if true.
    But what a pertinent one about fictional characters!