Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: American Vampire, #34

"American Vampire" #34 is the conclusion to the first half of Scott Snyder and Rafael Albuquerque's decades-spanning adventures featuring Skinner Sweet and Pearl Jones.

Full review here.

It says "Returning in 2013!" so that means next month, right?

RIGHT!

...right?

:(

Oh me oh my! That was a wonderful issue. I felt more like the story that ends a hiatus than begins one, so now we are left with a buncha questions. What exactly did Book see? Who is the person in her basement? (I have an odd feeling that the person is Cal. I hope it is. I always liked him.) Who exactly IS this Grey Trader? What is going on with Pearl? SNYDEEEEEEEEERRRRRRR!

Thanks so much you two! I try to avoid forums, but I wanted to drop in here to say that while not next month :), we'll be back in the fall of 2013. We're already working on the follow up story to the hiatus - so internally we're barely taking a break! And the Grey Trader is going to play a major role in the series 2nd half as a force that's been acting beneath the surface of the series, literally and figuratively, for a long time. Again, Rafa, Mark, Dave M. and I can't thank you enough for all the support on AV. Thsi is our baby, and we'll be back really soon w/out best stuff - promise. S

Equal parts brilliant and frustrating, this issue. Like the end of a season of a great TV show, you just want the next bit now but there's a long wait ahead instead. I loved/hated it :P
    Currently enjoying: Batman, Detective Comics, American Vampire, Saga, The Wake, Letter 44, The Manhattan Projects, Atomic Robo, East of West, Ghosted, FBP...

Quote Originally Posted by ssnyder1835 View Post
    Thanks so much you two! I try to avoid forums, but I wanted to drop in here to say that while not next month :), we'll be back in the fall of 2013. We're already working on the follow up story to the hiatus - so internally we're barely taking a break! And the Grey Trader is going to play a major role in the series 2nd half as a force that's been acting beneath the surface of the series, literally and figuratively, for a long time. Again, Rafa, Mark, Dave M. and I can't thank you enough for all the support on AV. Thsi is our baby, and we'll be back really soon w/out best stuff - promise. S
    Keep up the amazing work! Can't wait! And the fall? Okay, I MIGHT survive until then. That's only....9 months...D:

Quote Originally Posted by SediarSago View Post
    Who is the person in her basement? (I have an odd feeling that the person is Cal. I hope it is. I always liked him.)
    You know Cal is an active agent of the VMS and has been in the book a lot lately!

Anyways, pretty sure it's Felicia's father, Jim Book

Scott! American Vampire is amazing. But why must you play love games with me by making me wait 9 months? ;(

Quote Originally Posted by FHIZ View Post
    You know Cal is an active agent of the VMS and has been in the book a lot lately!

Anyways, pretty sure it's Felicia's father, Jim Book
    Ahh I didn't mean Cal. I meant Cash. I always had a theory that he somehow survives the explosion. Maybe got some blood in his eye. IDK, it's probably not true, a little far fetched. But it would make sense now that I think of it that it is Jim. Was it ever confirmed that an American Vampire dies when they have their brains blown out? Obviously beheading, but Hattie survived a gold star to the mouth, I bet Jim can survive a bullet to the brain. But I bet it's made him a bit crazy.

I follow this in HC, but I'm still bummed about the hiatus. It is, I'm sure, for the best, but I've gotten really into this series. I'm stunned that WB hasn't taken a chance on adapting this for HBO yet.

is always watching....

American Vampire's been the best Vertigo title for a while and I'm sorry to see it go on hiatus. The creative team's been hitting it out of the park consistantly and the book feels like [much like with Gaiman's The Sandman] it's reaching a point where a lot of the threads Snyder's been spinning are starting to come together. The fact that this issue hints at so much and introduces a new [or has he been there since the start?] villain makes the months-long break even worse. Hurry back, American Vampire, you will be missed :'(

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Moon View Post
    I follow this in HC, but I'm still bummed about the hiatus. It is, I'm sure, for the best, but I've gotten really into this series. I'm stunned that WB hasn't taken a chance on adapting this for HBO yet.
    That's not WB's decision to make.

Do we know that for sure? I assume you mean it's Snyder's, but I think a lot of Vertigo contracts have it to where WB automatically auctions rights to the material in other media.

I know Vertigo contracts are a bit more... let's say "restrictive" than say Image, but I'm pretty sure they don't sign away the rights to allow WB to do whatever they want with it, because then it's the exact opposite of of "creator owned." A good example of this was early on in the New 52, someone half jokingly asked Jeff Lemire with the Vertigo integration into the DCU, if we'd see Gus from Sweet Tooth show up, and he flat out said something along the lines of "No, I own that"

You're taking a big jump from media rights. From my understanding, they still have the rights to the characters, but the rights to other media, such as movies, television, is automatically auctioned by WB for a standard auctioning fee when they sign the contract. I may be misremembering, but I believe this was detailed by Brain Wood as being so when he left DC, and this issue came up for him when, I believe, AMC was looking to adapt DMZ but WB shut out the deal. I want to say maybe Chris Roberson mentioned something along these line, too, in passing about iZombie when he left DC.