Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What were you're favorite covers of 2012

Even if you didn't buy them, what were your favorites and why, and please use visuals when possible.

Cover dates of 2012

I've always loved the Vision. He doesn't get enough attention IMO. When I started reading comics in the mid 70's, he was the Main Man up in the upper left hand corner box. I thought he looked so cool and that whole artificial human / synthezoid thing was neat too.

cover by Brandon Peterson

Chris Samnee nails it with this great retro-style Spidey cover.

Adam Hughes retro
    Last edited by hondobrode; 01-02-2013 at 02:18 PM.
    I am what I am and that's all what I am

You sure this belongs in the Classic Comics forum?

Personally, I only read a handful of current comics titles in 2012, and I dropped them all by the fall, with the exception of Usagi Yojimbo (which is on hiatus anyway).

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

This one was cover-dated Feb 2012, so it would've actually come out around, I guess, Nov 2011, but still --

Buffy the Vampire Slayer can usually be counted on for one neat homage cover every year or so. (I posted Season 8's Sgt. Fury tribute awhile back.)
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by shaxper View Post
    You sure this belongs in the Classic Comics forum?

Personally, I only read a handful of current comics titles in 2012, and I dropped them all by the fall, with the exception of Usagi Yojimbo (which is on hiatus anyway).
    My comics purchases have been up, significantly, with the inception of the DCnU, but unfortunately I've been so busy I'm far behind on my reading.

Nonetheless, I thought it would be interesting to see what the Classics posters thought were the best covers of 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by hondobrode View Post
    Nonetheless, I thought it would be interesting to see what the Classics posters thought were the best covers of 2012.
    Ah, gotcha.

Then I guess I'd make my vote for Usagi Yojimbo #143.

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    This one was cover-dated Feb 2012, so it would've actually come out around, I guess, Nov 2011, but still --

Buffy the Vampire Slayer can usually be counted on for one neat homage cover every year or so. (I posted Season 8's Sgt. Fury tribute awhile back.)
    Cover dates are the best way to figure if it qualifies IMO, otherwise it's too difficult.

Matt Groening

Comic Shop Guy

'Nuff Said
    Last edited by hondobrode; 01-02-2013 at 02:23 PM.

Aside from what's been posted in this thread so far, I haven't seen any 2012 covers (well, I did on my visit to my former LCS last November, but I wasn't paying any attention). Sorry!

Cei-U!
    I summon the ignorance!
    It's hardly a secret that something is badly wrong with me. - Dan B. in the Underworld
    I am ... a condescending prick sometimes. But I usually mean to be. - Paradox
    I'm not infallible. I just act like it. - Me

I don't buy variants, so I didn't get this, but I actually considered it-it was just too cute.

Skottie Young's A-Babies variant for Avengers #1:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sep120530.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	106639

larger verison here:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/wp-conte..._youngbaby.jpg

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Not really a variant guy either, everything else being equal, but yesterday I snagged an all-variant lot of the first 4 Before Watchmen: Minutemen issues on eBay for a cool 68 cents more than I would've paid Lone Star for codeword-discounted non-variant-cover copies, so what the heck. This was a few minutes after I got the 4 Silk Spectres for something like half-price from another seller.

Not a big fan of the whole Before Watchmen concept (for that matter, of course, I'm also not the world's biggest fan of Watchmen itself), but Amanda Conner drew Silk Spectre & Darywn Cooke did Minutemen, & that's that.

When I get home, I'm going to cower in fear under the bed lest Alan Moore show up & threaten to flagellate me with his beard. (There are people in this thread who'd probably get off on that -- the intitials Cei-U! come to mind -- but when it comes to kinks, I stick with the Davies brothers, pretty much.)
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    I don't buy variants, so I didn't get this, but I actually considered it-it was just too cute.

Skottie Young's A-Babies variant for Avengers #1:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sep120530.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	106639

larger verison here:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/wp-conte..._youngbaby.jpg

-M

Anything by Skotti Young is great. He and Shanower's Oz books are pure gold.

Anyway, the Silk Spectres I'm getting aren't variants, I don't think, which means most (or all) of these won't be included, but I really like the '60s retro vibe of these --

-- Reptisaurus!

-- Reptisaurus!

Thought this was fantastic

That's a wonderful cover but when did the Moloids turn into Tolkein goblins?

Cei-U!
    Hopelessly out of touch!
    It's hardly a secret that something is badly wrong with me. - Dan B. in the Underworld
    I am ... a condescending prick sometimes. But I usually mean to be. - Paradox
    I'm not infallible. I just act like it. - Me

I really like Aja's covers on Hawkeye:

At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!