Angry Red She Hulk #61 *Spoilers*

She Rulk SMASH!!!

Its yet another fantastic issue from a writer I've come to truly enjoy, Jeff parker.

The in media res storyline and dynamic pacing this book has had for the last few issues is brought to a well timed halt. Most of the book is spent finally filling us in on a few answers as to how Betty became a part of this plight of hers.

This issue could not have been placed in a more appropriate time. The questions of how RSH came into this could easily been told at the start, but that would have been an inferior way to tell the tale.

Instead its been a fun action filled ride where we see the effect before the cause. Its an entertaining way of getting people to keep reading, but of course that can't last forever, at some point things needed to take a seat and exposit the whys and hows. After 3 issues of Betty fighting super soldiers and the Avengers and hulking out (more than usual as a cover shows) its only fair that now be the time to do so.

Being hulked out might have been the best thing to happen to the Ross family, especially Betty who we see finds quite the bit of liberation, purpose and ability from doing so. Seeing her talk to Machine man about how she got into fighting Fortean really reveals the strength it gives her, which might be masking how she's been hurt by a life of disappointment, frailty, and being bound to the role of supportive wife or good daughter.

Speaking of our second star, aaron has been a handy little plot device and really almost makes a case for calling this "Red She Hulk and Machine Man" for how prominently displayed he's been. I find his character trajectory and attitude towards Betty very intriguing, even if his personality might not be the funny character I've heard he was in Nextwave.

The only complaint I have is that the ending is a bit abrupt though I'm more inclined to believe that this has more to do with my own disappointment that another issue is over.

If you haven't read this series for whatever reason, you're missing out. If you are, than keep it up because this issue keeps up the quality. And if you're trade waiting well you're in for a treat cause this will work great in that format.
    Steve Rogers: You ready to follow Captain America into the jaws of death?
    James Barnes: Hell, no! The little guy from Brooklyn who was too dumb not to run away from a fight. I'm following him."

Agreed it was a great read, I look forward to where its going next.

BANNED

Carlo Paygulan is Great but him being mixed with Alves is still bringing the book down for me, the flashback with RSH chopping up the man eating plant with her sword and the scene where RSH regresses in to betty and she talks to the android are great, but the entirety of the opening battle with her fully Hulked out Looked Horrible.

Also while i appreatiate getting a explanation for where her sword is, She still Better get it Back SOON

Aaron was great. She-Hulk was average.

Is this the first time we see any clue as to the origin of her Big #$*# Sword? When did she first start using it? In Defenders? Also, did the Terranometer appear in Hickman's SHIELD? Not a fan of the sword.

The 'in media res' either for that matter. Despite that, this story was alright but not exciting as it was mostly exposition. The beginning fight didn't really have any impact for me. If she was out of control as all the characters claimed it was hard to rationalize how no Echeclon was killed here. Aaron couldn't be everywhere. She knows she killed someone when she was wild but IN control. What issue did Betty kill that Echelon guy?? She is no brainiac savant to subconsciously avoid direct smashing damage when she goes berserker in this issue.
    http://www.newsarama.com/php/multime...w.php?gid=4698

Wearing the plainclothes that grow on her is a smart decision in an MU where such tech material is possible. ONLY for that reason. Reed has it with the FF whitesuits. Black Panther seems to have it now. Didn't Osborn use it in his street suit when he was Iron Patriot?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bookem Danno View Post
    Is this the first time we see any clue as to the origin of her Big #$*# Sword? When did she first start using it? In Defenders? Also, did the Terranometer appear in Hickman's SHIELD? Not a fan of the sword.
    she got the Sword in Fear Itself, when ironman made weapons with asgardian tech for the avengers to counter the Serpents Worthy, at the end of the book the weapons where all destroyed atcept for her sword, which she refused to give up

Quote Originally Posted by Movieartman View Post
    she got the Sword in Fear Itself, when ironman made weapons with asgardian tech for the avengers to counter the Serpents Worthy, at the end of the book the weapons where all destroyed atcept for her sword, which she refused to give up
    Oh yeah! I forgot bout that. It is still hard to believe that Odin and Stark both let her slide by with it. That makes teh terranometer reacting to it kind of odd in hindsight...

Quote Originally Posted by Bookem Danno View Post
    Oh yeah! I forgot bout that. It is still hard to believe that Odin and Stark both let her slide by with it. That makes teh terranometer reacting to it kind of odd in hindsight...
    Well, it is a ancient machine and the sword was made of the ancient Urd or whatever metal making it sense the weapon was of similar mystic origin and for some reason it thought, like a really old cell phone trying to get on the modern network, this is nice but we could do better. I too hope she gets it back, she seems much more jovial with it then without.

I'm enjoying the title which means it'll be cancelled by May most likely. I found the extra bit on the sword interesting but as noted since it's of Asgardian tech that throws it's interaction with terranometer into question now. It shouldn't have reacted at all, let alone take it. I must've missed it in the art but where is this device that "regrows" her clothes? Is it part of her black/silver suit?
    "Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient Beings" - Optimus Prime
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1

This was awesome. I'm really loving this series.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I'm enjoying the title which means it'll be cancelled by May most likely. I found the extra bit on the sword interesting but as noted since it's of Asgardian tech that throws it's interaction with terranometer into question now. It shouldn't have reacted at all, let alone take it. I must've missed it in the art but where is this device that "regrows" her clothes? Is it part of her black/silver suit?
    I'm guessing it is some form of unstable molecules, Scarlet Spider's suit does the same thing, maybe Reed started to design clothes to supplement the cost of running the Future Foundation..

Quote Originally Posted by Wellman View Post
    Well, it is a ancient machine and the sword was made of the ancient Urd or whatever metal making it sense the weapon was of similar mystic origin and for some reason it thought, like a really old cell phone trying to get on the modern network, this is nice but we could do better. I too hope she gets it back, she seems much more jovial with it then without.
    I hope she gets it back too because Betty can sure chop up a mean salad!

Quote Originally Posted by Wellman View Post
    I'm guessing it is some form of unstable molecules, Scarlet Spider's suit does the same thing, maybe Reed started to design clothes to supplement the cost of running the Future Foundation..
    Reed should team up with Janet van Dyne for a new designer line of super hero costumes. I wish we had more background stories about how Jen and Betty got their new outfits to prevent wardrobe malfunctions when they transform.

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

I think this book finally got going last issue because this one was just as good. It wasn't a typical post-action "explanatory" issue, very meaty with our first strong interaction between the two leads. It's funny how it seemed like Parker honestly just ran out of pages at the end but regardless I'd be wanting more.

Speaking of a stride being hit, the art collab this time around was near flawless.

the entirety of the opening battle with her fully Hulked out Looked Horrible.
    That was the point...
    Last edited by B. Kuwanger; 01-05-2013 at 09:13 AM.

Agree with all the positive comments about this title as it really seems to have hit its stride now, good art and interesting storyline.

I'm not a fan of Betty's Hulked-out look, I don't think that it compliments her. Betty has already gone toe-to-toe with the Hulk and other's from the Marvel Universe. Other than that, I love Jeff Parker, he's amazing and Betty and Machine Man are an awesome characters.

The arts good...
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”