View Poll Results: Ultimate Comics Spiderman #19

Voters
59. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Great, Can't wait for the next issue

38 64.41%
  • Good, I like where this story is going

20 33.90%
  • Meh, not bad but not good

1 1.69%
  • Bad, I didn't like this story

0 0%
  • Awful, wish I didn't read it

0 0%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Anyone notice that Jonah says that it took almost a year after Peter's death for him to start sleeping well again? Miles started as Spider-Man only a few weeks after Peter's death, so does this mean Miles has been Spider-Man for almost a year already?
    Wouldn't that be funny, when supposedly Peter was only Spider-Man for about a year or so? Oh Bendis.

Edit: Perhaps they are trying to age Miles a bit more rapidly in order to minimize the weirdness of us reading him making out with whatever future love interest he gets.

Anyone notice that Jonah says that it took almost a year after Peter's death for him to start sleeping well again? Miles started as Spider-Man only a few weeks after Peter's death, so does this mean Miles has been Spider-Man for almost a year already?
    Ooo good catch. I didn't even notice that!
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Yeah, I caught that. I'm just taking that as Jonah being wrong.
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

Not too long ago, everything Bendis wrote was a miss with me. Now he is writing two of my absolute favorite books (All New X-Men and UCSM) and I'm excited to see what he does next. Funny how things can turn.

When this book started slow, I defended it as a deliberate artistic choice. Now I'm happy that theory is holding water. I care about Miles and his supporting cast and the seeds that are sown this issue are more exciting because of it. At this point, Miles and Kitty Pryde might be the only real characters in the Ultimate Universe.

I absolutely love Sara Pichelli's art. She has natural gift for body language, character design and storytelling. The face she drew on Miles potential love interest... That is a "Face it tiger, you hit the jackpot!" moment. No words, just this adorable character monopolizing more and more of the background until she takes center stage.

I remember reading that Sara discovered that comics existed around the time she started getting professional work, and it is obvious she respects the craft. Her growth is obvious with every issue she does. (Was she purely a digital artist before UCSM? I swear she had an inker before.) The inking on this issue felt a little off in places (notably in the office scene) and there were a few storytelling hick ups. Still, I only mention those because I naturally compare Pichelli to artists like Stuart Immonen. Pros who have been in the business 20 years.

I pray Bendis, Pichelli, and Marquez stay on this book for run that will rival Ultimate Peter Parker's....
    Last edited by Jarocho; 01-03-2013 at 08:45 AM.

I wonder who the new Venom is and if he was the one who gave info on the house.
    Black History Month & 29 Days in February

Quote Originally Posted by Plawsky View Post
    Yeah, I caught that. I'm just taking that as Jonah being wrong.
    He is a character prone to hyperbole so I assumed this was yet another such instance.

Something I forgot to mention in my "mini-review."

By far the funniest moment in the issue is the web fluid's "chemical formula." I don't know if it was an easter egg or just filler. but Ganke announces they must become "genius chemists" before dinner and presents ninth grade algebra gibberish, not anything near a chemical formula. To this Miles looks thoughtfully, as to say, "Yeah... We can do this..."
    Last edited by Jarocho; 01-03-2013 at 12:56 PM.

I noticed that too, I just wrote it off to as "Bendis time." It's how I refer to his clearly incorrect timelines.
    1) Find a bad guy
    2) Be Wolverine
    Bring Back Ultimate Wolverine...again!

Quote Originally Posted by sage6paths View Post
    Lol all the evidence points to Uncle Aaron. He killed Brant to make sure Miles identity is unknown. He blows up Oz corp. He tries to hurt Miles Father. Whatever the case. This venom has some sort of connection to Miles family.

Also the venom might have been in the box.

Good call. But would that mean the Ultimate Symbiote is able to resurrect the dead?

Quote Originally Posted by Free-Man View Post
    Good call. But would that mean the Ultimate Symbiote is able to resurrect the dead?
    Gwen Stacey did it, although it would certainly be laughing in the face of "dead means dead."
    1) Find a bad guy
    2) Be Wolverine
    Bring Back Ultimate Wolverine...again!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Gwen Stacey did it, although it would certainly be laughing in the face of "dead means dead."
    With some help from Doc Ock.

This issue was pretty good. It definitely had Bendis's style of extreme long-form storytelling, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Pichelli killed the art on it. My only complaint was that I thought her J.J.J. looked a little weird. If Venom is anyone other than Eddie Brock, or someone who has no ties to him at the very least, I'm going to be a little disappointed. I want that whole Beetle/Venom/Latveria plot thread to develop already!

Story: 8/10
    Art: 9/10
    Aquaman Aquaman and the Others Batman Batman and Robin Justice League Wonder Woman Star Trek Brilliant Black Science Manifest Destiny Morning Glories Saga Shutter The Wake

I love Venom's new look. I'm kinda hoping it is Aaron. I was hoping he'd get a chance to turn good like 616 Prowler

Wow. Does no one else think Venom's mouth on the last page looks, um... take away the teeth and tongue, and... Yikes.

On Vacation

Quote Originally Posted by Kreniigh View Post
    Wow. Does no one else think Venom's mouth on the last page looks, um... take away the teeth and tongue, and... Yikes.
    A throat? Oh wait I see it. Great. Not even one chapter in. Lol ruined. Also who said that was his/her mouth?
    Last edited by sage6paths; 01-03-2013 at 02:53 PM.