Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default CBR Forums Top 50 Comics of 2012 (Deadline 01/11/13)

Welcome to the CBR Forums Top 50 Comics of 2012 list.

We are polling the posters of the CBR Forums to see what comics they enjoyed in 2012.

To participate in this list, you need to have an active account on the CBR Forums. You will send a Private Message to me (Please use the subject: CBR Forums Top Comics of 2012) with a list of your top 10 comics of 2012. In order to send a PM, your account will have to have at least 5 posts. You have until 01/11/13 11:59 PM PST to send in your selections.

You will rank your choices from 1 to 10 with 1 being the top of the list. You have up to 10 selections. You can choose less than 10 if you want. But you must rank them. Ties and no rankings will not be counted. I'll then assign scores based on the rankings and total up the scores of every poster who sends in a list.

You can choose any comic that was originally published in 2012 be it series, graphic novel, newspaper, webcomic, one shot, zine, or trade (the trade must have been originally released in 2012, reprints/reissues of previous trades/gns will not be counted. The trade must be the first time the material has been collected in a trade format).

For monthly or continuing series, it must have at least 1 issue released in 2012. Please choose the series as a whole and not individual issues. For series that have been restarted in 2012 (Marvel Now or others), please make it clear which Volume of the series you are choosing. Example: Batgirl Vol 3 (the Bryan Q. Miller Steph Batgirl) and Batgirl Vol 4 (the Gail Simone 52 Babs Batgirl).

An example of how your list should be formatted. The more info you give the easier it will be to count.

1. Habibi (Pantheon)
    2. Cross Game (Viz Media)
    3. Wonder Woman Vol. 4 (DC)
    4. Octopuspie (octopuspie.com)
    5. Ghost Projekt Vol. 1 (Oni)
    6. Daredevil Vol. 3 (Marvel)
    7. Infinite Kung Fu (Top Shelf)
    8. Cul de Sac (Universal Press Syndicate)
    9. 20th Century Boys (Viz Media)
    10. Orcs: Forged for War (First Second)

If you want, you can add a short sentence or two as to why you enjoy the comic. I may use them as part of the list when it is posted.

The list will be posted after the deadline.

Feel free to ask questions if you have them.
    Last edited by Brandon Hanvey; 01-03-2013 at 03:52 PM.

I asked it in my PM, but since it's allowed here:

Why only a Top 50, Brandon, and not a Top 100 like the CBR staff list? That way people will learn about more titles they hadn't heard of, just like in your list. :)

(I understand you'll have more lists to compile than a few dozen like in your case, but if it were possible to make them a Top 100...?)

Quote Originally Posted by passer-by View Post
    I asked it in my PM, but since it's allowed here:

Why only a Top 50, Brandon, and not a Top 100 like the CBR staff list? That way people will learn about more titles they hadn't heard of, just like in your list. :)

(I understand you'll have more lists to compile than a few dozen like in your case, but if it were possible to make them a Top 100...?)

Partially because it is less work and partially because after about 50 the points it gets to a spot where there are many ties and a single vote can get listed.
    Last edited by Brandon Hanvey; 01-02-2013 at 01:11 PM.

Makes sense, thanks for clarifying.

After the first day, we have about a dozen lists contributed with 75 different picks.

Would the Fear Agent Library Edition vol. 1 be counted? The book reprints 3 previous released tpb's but has lots of extra's, new size etc... and as such would be a 2012 new release imo.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinNL View Post
    Would the Fear Agent Library Edition vol. 1 be counted? The book reprints 3 previous released tpb's but has lots of extra's, new size etc... and as such would be a 2012 new release imo.
    Under the rules that would not be counted since the main story is a re-release.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Hanvey View Post
    Under the rules that would not be counted since the main story is a re-release.
    Damn! Posted my list before I read the rest of this thread.

But that should perhaps be made clearer in the general rules. "the trade must have been originally released in 2012, reprints/reissues of previous trades/gns will not be counted" to me sounds as if Fear Agent Library can be included since it's a trade released in 2012 and is not a reprint or reissue but a completely new edition of the material.

Btw, shouldn't that rule exclude Building Stories as well? Afaik most of the material was previously released in e.g. the Acme Novelty books.

I added a part to the trade rule where it states that the book must be the first time the material has been collected.

The main reason for the real is to keep people from picking old favorites that are always in trade or released in new formats. While they are great, we would like to spotlight new material that came out during the year.

As for Building Stories and works like IDW's artist Artist Editions, I feel the amount of new material and/or new format/presentation is enough to considered them eligible while a HCs or Omnibuses of a earlier released trade are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Hanvey View Post
    As for Building Stories and works like IDW's artist Artist Editions, I feel the amount of "new" and new format/presentation is enough to considered them eligible while a HCs or Omnibuses of a earlier released trade are not.
    Aargghh! Just posted my revised list leaving those two out!

If it's no trouble, could you insert them at the end? (9. Building Stories 10. Daredevil AE) I only posted eight suggestions anyway since I mainly read trades. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    Aargghh! Just posted my revised list leaving those two out!

If it's no trouble, could you insert them at the end? (9. Building Stories 10. Daredevil AE) I only posted eight suggestions anyway since I mainly read trades. Thanks!
    Heh. Just PMed you back about that. I'll add them

To be clear, a 2011 miniseries first collected in 2012 is eligible.
    formerly coke & comics

Sleepwalker is Sandman done right. ~Tadhg

With about 5 days left, we've almost reached the point where a single top vote for a book will not get it on the list.

We've received well over 2 dozen contributors with over 140 different selections.