Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    *choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Ashamed not to have read?

Brother Power the Geek #3, of course.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Sandman
    Maus
    The Death of Captain Marvel
    Alan Moore's Swampthing
    Fables

I even own some, but they're still as of yet, unread.

I'm sometimes ashamed that I'm not more into non-superhero comics. As I hit the 50- or 40-years ago Classic Comics threads and scan Mike's newsstand, I see tons of comics, only a few of which are superheroes! Yet those are the ones I own or want to own, over and over. The sole exceptions seem to be Tarzan and Barks/Rosa ducks. It seems virtually closed-minded of me... pedestrian, even.

There, I've admitted it.
    Last edited by Polar Bear; 01-03-2013 at 11:01 AM.
    Anyway, it is cool for you to acquire acrimony of crumbling time on blast this website.
    --best spam ever

Quote Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
    It seems virtually closed-minded of me... pedestrian, even.

There, I've admitted it.
    Hell, you're a bear. The fact that you read anything, & for that matter can type, is awfully impressive.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Hundreds I suppose, but I'm not sure "ashamed" is the right word. There's comics I'd like to read and comics I probably should read, but I'm not ashamed if I don't. Time, cost and availability is a big factor.

Preference is so subjective that I really don't believe there is a must read list.

Watchmen
    Conan comics(love the movies)
    New 52 (besides Blackhawks)
    New Avengers*Unity* Shadowman* RAI* TRANSFORMERS* MILES MORALES

As others have said, "ashamed" is probably off-target as a verb. "Chagrined," maybe.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    As others have said, "ashamed" is probably off-target as a verb. "Chagrined," maybe.
    I've done a lot of things I'm ashamed of not reading certain comics isn't one if them. Plus there really isn't a must read list. If I don't read Cerebus am I not a good comic fan? I highly doubt there is anyone who's read everything or at least everything everything that's popular. Maybe ScottShaw.
    Last edited by mrc1214; 01-03-2013 at 02:47 PM.

Double post

Double post
    Last edited by mrc1214; 01-03-2013 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    Hell, you're a bear. The fact that you read anything, & for that matter can type, is awfully impressive.

(ten characters)
    Anyway, it is cool for you to acquire acrimony of crumbling time on blast this website.
    --best spam ever

No shame, but I really do need to get around to some of the pre-Vertigo stuff. Swamp Thing, Doom Patrol, Animal Man...
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

Possibly my WIZARD Daredevil 1/2, only 17 pages and it really looks like a comic until you look inside and wonder WTF???? I got it in my teens, and after leafing through a spare copy, I never bothered to take mine out the WIZARD bag. Been in there since 1999.

1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

Quote Originally Posted by Cei-U! View Post
    I'm not "ashamed" about anything related to my reading comics. Yeah, there's critically regarded series I'm not up on. So what? I can't read everything.
    Amen. Too many good reads, not enough time...
    "If you live among wolves you have to act like a wolf."

I would use the term 'excited' rather than ashamed. When I told my LCS owner that I had just acquired the Moore run of Swamp Thing, he said, 'Oh, I envy you being able to enjoy those for the first time!' This was a neat way to think about things.

Things I am excited to obtain and read: Planetary, Sandman, 100 Bullets, Transmetropolitan, Hellblazer, ... many, many, more.

I bought the two Maus hardcovers for a song in a local show last year and haven't gotten around to reading it. I guess the subject matter is keeping me away.
    Life is what you make it.