Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I'm not "ashamed" about anything related to my reading comics. Yeah, there's critically regarded series I'm not up on. So what? I can't read everything.

Cei-U!
    Now, if you'd asked if there are some editorial staffs that oughtta be ashamed...
    It's hardly a secret that something is badly wrong with me. - Dan B. in the Underworld
    I am ... a condescending prick sometimes. But I usually mean to be. - Paradox
    I'm not infallible. I just act like it. - Me

Quote Originally Posted by Cei-U! View Post
    Now, if you'd asked if there are some editorial staffs that oughtta be ashamed...
    Oh, please do! It's been at least two months since I went on a tirade about Denny O'Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Cei-U! View Post
    I'm not "ashamed" about anything related to my reading comics. Yeah, there's critically regarded series I'm not up on. So what? I can't read everything.

Cei-U!
    That's my take as well, there are certainly some well regarded stories that I'd like to read someday but nothing I'm ashamed of.

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    If Universal Studios didn't produce it, I won't watch it.
    I feel the same way about Random House. Doubleday has nothing on them.

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MDG View Post
    That's different--since the old Hollywood days, studios don't have an identifiable style or "philosophy." Comic publishers push for unity in their product and universes, to the point that they create sub-brands (e.g., Vertigo).

(Not that I agree in only reading Marvels, but if he said DC--or Fantagraphics--I'd take a bullet.)
    To the point that -- in the case of Marvel & DC, at least -- "we will overcharge gullible fans obscenely for shamefully poor product more often than not while tromping on the work of the past as if it never existed" can be characterized as "push(ing) for unity in their product & universes," I concede that you certainly have a point.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

There are certainly a lot of comics I want to read, but shame is rather a strong term...
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

I think there may be more comics I am ashamed of having read than those I am ashamed of not having read (eyes Liefeld's X-Force run with cheeks flush with embarrassment).

There is stuff I would still like to check out-most of it indy affairs or classics (more of Chris Ware's Acme Novelty Library and Building Stories, Jeff Smith's Bone, more Barks and Rosa Ducks, a lot of the classic EC output, Toth's Zorro, Milton Caniff's Terry and the Pirates and Steve Canyon, more of DC's war, horror and western books form the Silver and Bronze age, Wood's Thunder Agents, etc.) but I have read a pretty wide breadth of what is considered the canon of "modern" classics so I don't feel behind the curve so to speak in that area.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Veteran Member

As others have said, "ashamed" is probably not the right word, but here are a few things I haven't yet read (or read enough of) that I think any well-educated comics reader should be familiar with:

Winsor McKay's Little Nemo in Slumberland

early 20th century "woodcut novels" , e.g. those in the Graphic Witness collection

Hugo Pratt's Corto Maltese

Druillet's Lone Sloane

Byron Talbot's Luther Arkwright

Bilal's Les Phalanges de l'Ordre noir and Partie de chasse

anything and everything by Moebius

and a ton of other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by berk View Post
    Winsor McKay's Little Nemo in Slumberland
    Hugo Pratt's Corto Maltese
    anything and everything by Moebius

Add all of those to my list, and I'm ashamed to admit I'm not comic cultured enough to even know what those other items on your list were.

Veteran Member

Luther Arkwright was listed by several people in the recent 12 Days of Christmas threads as one of the top limited series. I don't know much about the woodcut stuff other than what I've read about things like the Graphic Witness book I linked to. The two Bilal books I mentioned are available in English as The Black Order Brigade and The Hunting Party. At least some of Druillet's Lone Sloane albums seem to have been translated as well, though I never seem to see any around.

I'm hoping to get to at least some of these over the next year or two. Most of them aren't hard to find and some I even already own. Haven't had any luck tracking down a cheap edition of Little Nemo, though.

akira
    all-star superman
    mppre swamp thaaang

Quote Originally Posted by berk View Post
    Haven't had any luck tracking down a cheap edition of Little Nemo, though.

I bought a complete oversized collection from Borders a few years back for $25. Apparently, it's out of print and selling for $165 on Amazon now.

I was lucky enough to get the Nemo books when Checker released them in two huge volumes. I love them.

I also managed to get Black Order Brigade as a nice Humanoids hardcover for $5. I think it's my favorite war comic ever.
    All-Star Western, Casanova, Criminal, Daredevil, Dark Horse Presents, Funnies, Hellboy/BPRD, King City, Orc Stain, Snarked, Unwritten, Usagi Yojimbo

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by shaxper View Post
    I bought a complete oversized collection from Borders a few years back for $25. Apparently, it's out of print and selling for $165 on Amazon now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron King View Post
    I was lucky enough to get the Nemo books when Checker released them in two huge volumes. I love them.

I also managed to get Black Order Brigade as a nice Humanoids hardcover for $5. I think it's my favorite war comic ever.
    I know: much as I chide myself for buying books and comics faster than I can read them, there are so many times when I've conscientiously refrained, only to find a few years later that it's now priced out of my range. Should've pulled the trigger!

I can't think of anything widely regarded as a comics classic that I haven't at least sampled enough of to determine that it's not for me, except maybe Master of Kung Fu, which I consider undersampled (I read a few of the earliest installments, but only one or two of the highly-regarded Doug Moench run), and Don McGregor's Black Panther stories (I think I bought and read at least one issue of that off the stands, but I'm confident enough in my consistently negative reaction to McGregor's work to be unashamed in leaving that one to be loved by those who better appreciate his scripting).
    "We're Santa's elves, and we're here to tell you about ourselves!"--Summer and Eve