Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Default New Avengers #1 *Spoilers*

I thought it was a rather strong issue, but a little vague in regards to the threat and villain. That said I think it was quite clear it's a complex story about death of heroes and maybe even the Earth itself. The stakes are strong in my view. Check out my review with some pictures from the book here if you're interested.

Onto Spoilers!

spoilers:

The book opens with a flashback to the beginning of the Illuminati. Panther doesn't agree with the idea of a secret group that can't trust friends or family.

Cut To:
    Now. Mr. Fantastic talks about how everything dies.

Cut To:
    26 hours earlier. Wakanda
    Some Wakanda subjects have found an obelisk with a hologram representation of the planets floating around it. Black Panther shows up and explains exactly where these planets are...light years away. A rhino pops out of a portal and they dodge it. Panther goes into the portal and ends up on some red skied version of Earth. He see's figures floating down from a giant planet that fills the sky and is closer than the moon.

There's a special ops team with a woman who calls herself Black Swan. She speaks High Sumerian. There's also a man with her. She has her ops team kill 2 of Panther's men. She tells Panther she's named Black Swan and she came here to kill a world. There's a battle, she kills the man that was with her. She calls some tool she holds "the wheel" and seemingly blows up the planet in the sky before Panther can stop her.

Cut To:
    The next day. Captain America, Dr. Strange, Mr. Fantastic, Tony Stark, Namor and Black Bolt have flown in to speak to Panther.
    end of spoilers

What did you guys think?
    Last edited by nosocialize100; 01-02-2013 at 04:15 PM.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

I've always liked Black Panther as a character so I'm glad to see him as the focal point of this issue. At times I think they try too hard to shove the "he's not just a good fighter in a suit with claws, he's really smart like Batman and one of the smartest guys in the Marvel Universe" logic in our faces a bit too much -- but it came across well here because of the nature of the villains and Wakanda having such a prestigious space program.

You were not lying -- that scene and quote in the seventh picture down in your review are bad-ass.

The whole "we are aliens and have come here to kill a world" premise is insipid -- but something tells me Hickman will deliver with some intriguing twists and new plot elements along the way. Probably my favorite Marvel NOW book at the moment.

On Vacation

I don't know about you guys but I am sick and tired of Hickman using non-sensical words that will probably never be told. Really why make such a sopisticated use of a word when your only going to use it once.
    Golden Paradox
    Lost Tribe
    Artificial man
    The Prize
    The wall
    makers
    the stars
    Black swan
    incursion
    The great destroyer
    "The wheel it is relentless" -what the hell is this supposed to mean?
    The story wasn't that great either. But the art looked great.

BANNED

Much better than Avengers 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Indeed it is.
    The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame

Quote Originally Posted by nosocialize100 View Post
    I thought it was a rather strong issue, but a little vague in regards to the threat and villain. That said I think it was quite clear it's a complex story about death of heroes and maybe even the Earth itself. The stakes are strong in my view. Check out my review with some pictures from the book here if you're interested.

Onto Spoilers!
    <snip>

Two distinctions / corrections.

They aren't Wakandan soldiers or Panther's men, they are young people competing, for lack of a better term, an intellectual position / grant.

All those characters, the Illuminati, were asked to Wakanda by T'challa.

Thought it was pretty good. Also,

spoilers:
    kudos to those that predicted that the guy with Black Swan was an alternate universe Manifold. Wonder what other alternate universe characters we'll see
    end of spoilers

Also, was anyone else wondering why the Wakandans were speaking English instead of their own language?
    Last edited by MB99; 01-02-2013 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sage6paths View Post
    I don't know about you guys but I am sick and tired of Hickman using non-sensical words that will probably never be told. Really why make such a sopisticated use of a word when your only going to use it once.
    Golden Paradox
    Lost Tribe
    Artificial man
    The Prize
    The wall
    makers
    the stars
    Black swan
    incursion
    The great destroyer
    Having read the book Black Swan I'm excited to see it used for a villains name...although I totally agree with your point. It adds weight to a thing without having to write well.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    <snip>

Two distinctions / corrections.

They aren't Wakandan soldiers or Panther's men, they are young people competing, for lack of a better term, an intellectual position / grant.

All those characters, the Illuminati, were asked to Wakanda by T'challa.
    Thanks I edited the spoilers.

Golden Paradox
    Lost Tribe
    Artificial man
    The Prize
    The wall
    makers
    the stars
    Black swan
    incursion
    The great destroyer
    O_o

I'm really not sure why you consider any of these words nonsense or think that they won't be used again. I mean, the stars??? And Black Swan is a name, sort of like Black Panther. Incursion indicates Lady A was probably correct and it has something to do with Taleb's theories.

Quote Originally Posted by MB99 View Post
    Thought it was pretty good. Also,

spoilers:
    kudos to those that predicted that the guy with Black Swan was an alternate universe Manifold. Wonder what other alternate universe characters we'll see
    end of spoilers

Also, was anyone else wondering why the Wakandans were speaking English instead of their own language?
    I'd guess probably an oversight, i.e. 'translated from,' except, IIRC, English was the language T'challa spoke to Black Swan?

Golden Paradox
    Lost Tribe
    Artificial man
    The Prize
    The wall
    makers
    the stars
    Black swan
    incursion
    The great destroyer
    Well, I haven't read the entire issue, but going off of just comics and sci-fi in general, none of those terms are really that surprising to find in a story like this. From what I gather, you're not supposed to know exactly what all those terms mean, but that they won't be used only once, and that they're full meaning will become known over time.

I really enjoyed it....being a Black Panther fan helped too

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    I'd guess probably an oversight, i.e. 'translated from,' except, IIRC, English was the language T'challa spoke to Black Swan?
    Correct, this is the part that threw me. In the beginning I assumed, as you said, it was simply translated for the sake of the reader, but when Black Swan identified the language they were speaking she said it was English. Probably just an oversight, or maybe the youth of wakanda (especially ones training to be explorers) just make it a habit to learn English.

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    I'd say its about the same

Just one character instead of 3+ laying the groundwork