Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Every issue that remotely has anything to do with the pairing will turn out like this as long as people keep replying to misslane.

Must have been nostalgic for Lex to see Superman in that outfit....only this time Lex is the one being held prisoner

My attempt at recycling a slip of the hand second post ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Oh gosh no. Man, this issues way to good for this thread to be reduced to another "problem with the relationship" thread (we have so many already). The moment that is being harped on was less than a page long! To much talk about just that moment and the effect on the relationship(not the topic) could actually risk derailing the thread.

With the amount of content in this issue one word shouldn't get this much attention at all.

Anyway, I really thought it was cool how Superman tricked Lex into building his own prison.
    Damn, agreed. It's like we have a broken record. It will become increasingly louder and more bitter no doubt because Lobdell has said he will not ignore the new status quo.

I think one of the worst things of last continuity was that Superman took a dive in the smarts departments. He really was imo a kinda dim at times and he couldn't see that he had a brain. In the new 52, we have smarts back. Lobdell shows wit and shrewdness. Appealing to Lex's own inflated sense of self worth is spot on.

Remember this original solicit for Superman #13?

It’s a deathrap for Superman as he matches wits with his greatest enemy for the final time as The Man of Steel loses it!
    Plus: The death of…?!
    I'm rather wondering if the original plan here was to show the fight that led to the scars and imprisonment first, before the H'el arc began, but it was shelved for whatever reason and they chose to go the route of it already having happened and get to explaining it later. If that was the case, does the "death of?" portion of the solicit suggest that Lex killed someone to enrage Superman so much?

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Remember this original solicit for Superman #13?

I'm rather wondering if the original plan here was to show the fight that led to the scars and imprisonment first, before the H'el arc began, but it was shelved for whatever reason and they chose to go the route of it already having happened and get to explaining it later. If that was the case, does the "death of?" portion of the solicit suggest that Lex killed someone to enrage Superman so much?
    Be nice to see imo Supes being taken near the edge but of course probably pulling back. The alien rage. Losing the plot in the face of something evil can humanize a character imo...instead of the wagging finger and don't do this and don't do that. Least he'll have known what that feels like.

Quote Originally Posted by thepenguin View Post
    Damn, agreed. It's like we have a broken record. It will become increasingly louder and more bitter no doubt because Lobdell has said he will not ignore the new status quo.

I think one of the worst things of last continuity was that Superman took a dive in the smarts departments. He really was imo a kinda dim at times and he couldn't see that he had a brain. In the new 52, we have smarts back. Lobdell shows wit and shrewdness. Appealing to Lex's own inflated sense of self worth is spot on.
    Yeah I agree, the new 52 Superman is extremely smart a quick on the uptake. Morrison has shown this in his beautfuly subtle ways in Action comics (he ramps it up a bit in issue 14 though), but Lobdell, from the very 1st issue he wrote Superman in to now, has show him to be amazingly skilled in the brain department. He has given Superman the well deserved admiration of Jason Todd (outlaws 14 I think) says that Superman is "just that good". Then in issue 14 of Superman the man of steel actually calculates the hit he gives H'el so that nobody is harmed. He comes of as the Super powered equivalent of Batman (trained, and very skilled)

Now he's the second smartest being on earth as of this issue.

One really must wonder what a straight up confrontation would be like with these guys (Lex and Superman). The thought and care that in put into even their conversations must be crazy seeing as how words are how Superman got a prison for Lex by Lex.

The dynamic has changed for the better if you ask me!

Firstly welcome to ViennaDeLaConcheta. Try to enjoy your stay.

Second in regard to the third possiblity, if it is the good doctor I assume she won't be playing the role Lex's ex wife did the first time this was discovered. This also brings up a question, was there more attempts then Kon?

Also on this subject, why would Supes leave an angry Kara with Lois? Given Kara's personaltiy and temperment, would it be that far of a stretch to wonder if, in a moment of anger, Kara might hit Lois? Not that I think it would happen but given the situation wouldn't it have behooved Clark to at least maybe either taken Lois out of there so that Kara could calm down, or for Lois to leave?

So if the idea was shelved was this going to be going back to the golden age where there was a fight and Supes made Lex lose all his hair? If it is a case of Lex killing someone, well given his familly was killed via a different means so their out, my only ideas would be Lana or Pete. Unless they have a new character in the works for this fate. Hey maybe Lex killed his dog?

Thirdly, could Diana please not use Beloved, please. Any time I hear that term I think of Talia A'ghul and her use of it about Batman. Then that sends me back into the creation of Damian and... we really don't need to go there. Beloved doesn't fit these two, nor would sweet heart or honey. This would be a good time to crack out maybe some greek slang, or London slang and use that. It would fit in with the fact that Diana is living there, so it would suit her personality to probably use something she's heard on the television.

(Which also brings up a side question, would Diana have a british accent now given where she's living?)

Be nice to see imo Supes being taken near the edge but of course probably pulling back. The alien rage. Losing the plot in the face of something evil can humanize a character imo...instead of the wagging finger and don't do this and don't do that. Least he'll have known what that feels like.
    I can get behind that a bit even as a Superman fan (we answer to a higher calling apparently lol). I have never been super opposed to Superman breaking an arm or knocking out teeth or whatever Authority style. I would think the explanation would be that he breaks it in a way that isn't crippling or too bad--just hurt like hell so you know not to do it again.

I liked this from Grant's Action comics where Superman tosses the wife beater out the window into the river no less and breaks both his hips and six ribs! All Superman said to the man was "I knew it would't kill you" lol. Sure I think it's good not to go that far again but maybe Lex just pushed it.

That's exactly what I'm hoping happened. Lex did something heinous enough to make Superman so angry he unleashed fury on Lex, whether just in a mad rage or with the briefest coherent thought of "I'm going to kill him", but pulling back just in time. And its why I hope the scars stick around because it would fit very well to have him wear the scars like badges of honor, constantly reminding Superman that he's right about him, that he is a threat. Lex talks of an inferno so I'm guessing the method Superman used was a massive dose of heat vision or something, and maybe Lex was in his battle suit at the time but the heat still burned him, and before it was over he managed to deflect some of that heat back at Superman causing the injury to the back of Superman's shoulder.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-03-2013 at 02:54 AM.

Saying inferno makes me think of the lab fire from the silver age, but this time it was a scar instead of hair loss (he was already bald for those who don't know). It seems like it might have been an accident.......but how many accidents does Lobdell's Superman make? Superman might want to believe it was an accident be both he and Lex may know that there was a moment of weakness and malice on Superman's part. I think that would be a very interesting way to go.

Also like Sacred Knight said the scar could be a permanent reminder of a moment of weakness for Superman.

I just can't really think of what could make a permanent scar on Superman of all people....must have been an interesting encounter.

Wost dialog ever. Anything involving Superboy was annoying. And this issue seemed very try hard to try to make superman look cool. Lex's 90s extreme scars are a bit exaggerated.

Damn those extreme 90s, every other decade burns just heal right up but not the 90s!

Must be because theyre extreme.

Between the events with The Collector in "Action Comics" and the events in "Superman #15" (different books, I know, but still essentially the same continuity) I'm thinking Lex went insane from Red Bull/Energy Drink intoxication.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Second in regard to the third possiblity, if it is the good doctor I assume she won't be playing the role Lex's ex wife did the first time this was discovered. This also brings up a question, was there more attempts then Kon?
    Didn't Harvest say there was in the 0 issue of Superboy? (I skimmed through it, so I'm not sure)

Also on this subject, why would Supes leave an angry Kara with Lois? Given Kara's personaltiy and temperment, would it be that far of a stretch to wonder if, in a moment of anger, Kara might hit Lois? Not that I think it would happen but given the situation wouldn't it have behooved Clark to at least maybe either taken Lois out of there so that Kara could calm down, or for Lois to leave?
    He got Lois to leave...

So if the idea was shelved was this going to be going back to the golden age where there was a fight and Supes made Lex lose all his hair? If it is a case of Lex killing someone, well given his familly was killed via a different means so their out, my only ideas would be Lana or Pete. Unless they have a new character in the works for this fate. Hey maybe Lex killed his dog?
    Why does it have to be a particular character? Lex was trying to push Clark's buttons from way back in issue 1 of Action - his basic approach has been one of prodding, probing and torturing the 'alien' in order to provoke a backlash and, thereby, cement him being a danger to mankind. Sure, the respect level has gone up considerably, intellectually, but the basic approach is still there.

Thirdly, could Diana please not use Beloved, please. Any time I hear that term I think of Talia A'ghul and her use of it about Batman. Then that sends me back into the creation of Damian and... we really don't need to go there. Beloved doesn't fit these two, nor would sweet heart or honey. This would be a good time to crack out maybe some greek slang, or London slang and use that. It would fit in with the fact that Diana is living there, so it would suit her personality to probably use something she's heard on the television.
    Greek slang wouldn't be appropriate, either, as modern Greek slang would be used rather than ancient. Besides, there's no real 'generic' slang, even in London. What's used 'on the street', for example, doesn't necessarily get used in, say, an embassy...

(Which also brings up a side question, would Diana have a british accent now given where she's living?)
    Unlikely, unless this version of Diana has a higher aptitude and adaptability for language than the previous one - who was often noted as having 'an (non-American) accent'.