Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 177
  1. #16
    Senior Member Coyote2010's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thepenguin View Post
    Damn right. Luthor should be smarter than Batman.
    I think Bats "smarts" next to Luthor is about Supermans speed next to Flash... Capable of overachieving. Actually I think Superman should be as smart, or smarter than both.

  2. #17
    Senior Member misslane38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyraw View Post
    That bit of narration when wonder woman showed up ("she wants to call him her beloved, but blah, blah, blah") was ridiculously bad. They've been out on one date and they've kissed twice. No need to have them get married next issue, DC
    I'm not even sure they've kissed the second time or gone on that date yet, but that's because I'm not clear on how the Justice League timeline fits into the Superman timeline. Anyone have a handle on the timing of these events?

  3. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    466

    Default

    Well the events of Supergirl take place about a week or two after she landed on Earth. She landed on Earth at the same time as Nightwing #1. More than that amount of time passed in Nightwing before Night of the Owls. So we can place this before Justice League #8.

    In other words, don't ask.

  4. #19
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyraw View Post
    That bit of narration when wonder woman showed up ("she wants to call him her beloved, but blah, blah, blah") was ridiculously bad. They've been out on one date and they've kissed twice. No need to have them get married next issue, DC
    Yeah, but they've been attracted to each other for several years.

  5. #20
    Senior Member misslane38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrSimonHurt View Post
    Yeah, but they've been attracted to each other for several years.
    Where is there evidence of this mutual several year attraction? And how does attraction equal being beloved (i.e. in love). I hope you don't believe being attracted to someone is the same as being in love with someone. Love is a much deeper emotion.

  6. #21
    Senior Member DochaDocha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,679

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrSimonHurt View Post
    Yeah, but they've been attracted to each other for several years.
    I'm willing to go along with this because it just makes the story make more sense to me, evidence or not. The "beloved" word was a little melodramatic, but it didn't bother me because Lobdell was just trying to acknowledge the relationship in a few short narrative boxes and that they were naturally excited to see one another, but then reminding us that like for Dr. Henry Jones Jr., now was no time for love.

    More importantly, I'm amused that despite all the back and forth between Luthor and Superman, Superman actually didn't learn anything, and yet the story was enjoyable to read. That made my Wednesday morning.

  7. #22
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    221B Baker Street
    Posts
    18,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I'm willing to go along with this because it just makes the story make more sense to me, evidence or not. The "beloved" word was a little melodramatic, but it didn't bother me because Lobdell was just trying to acknowledge the relationship in a few short narrative boxes and that they were naturally excited to see one another, but then reminding us that like for Dr. Henry Jones Jr., now was no time for love.
    Agreed. The "beloved" part was overdone, but it was just a way to acknowledge the relationship on the side, and I guess trying to keep that prose style in the narration.

  8. #23
    Senior Member misslane38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Agreed. The "beloved" part was overdone, but it was just a way to acknowledge the relationship on the side, and I guess trying to keep that prose style in the narration.
    The line served its purpose but it was poorly done. A better writer would have been able to find an alternative means of expressing the same idea without relying on awkwardly grandiloquent diction. Plus, the idea shouldn't be that they're in love because based on my admittedly shaky conception of the timelines we're dealing with, Superman and Wonder Woman would've only kissed once at this point in the story.

    Aside from all that, I did like Lex Luthor in this issue and most of Superman's interactions with Superboy were enjoyable. The "colossal butt" line was kind of silly, though.
    Last edited by misslane38; 01-02-2013 at 11:17 AM.

  9. #24

    Default

    Well, great issue, tbh, but I would like to establish what has Superman specifically got from Lex.

    HīEl plans? According to Lex, Superman has already figured those out, all by himself.

    A way into the Fortress? I donīt know, they havenīt discussed about that... (unless Superman, while talking to Lex, has had the opportunity to spy something in Lexīs cell... I donīt know, I havenīt noticed anything).

    Apparently, in the past Superman and Lex were involved in some sort of a hardcore litle fight/battle we havenīt seen yet, one in which Superman seems to have lost the control, causing Lex those facial scars; so, according to Lex, Superman wanted to meet again with him to remember that "killer state of the mind", in order to fight HīEl and, maybe, be able to kill him if necessary.

    Did I get all this right?
    Last edited by Charlus; 01-02-2013 at 11:26 AM.

  10. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlus View Post
    Apparently, in the past Superman and Lex were involved in some sort of a hardcore litle fight/battle we havenīt seen yet, one in which Superman seems to have lost the control, causing Lex those facial scars; so, according to Lex, Superman wanted to meet again with him to remember that "killer state of the mind", in order to fight HīEl and, maybe, be able to kill him if necessary.

    Did I get all this right?
    I think it went the other way and Superman wanted to be reminded that there are lines he should not cross, no matter who his enemy is.

  11. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celestin View Post
    I think it went the other way and Superman wanted to be reminded that there are lines he should not cross, no matter who his enemy is.
    Interesting. I havenīt thought it that way. We have come up with two exactly opposite interpretations based on the same story.

  12. #27
    Junior Member Volderon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    256

    Default

    Wow that was awesome. More please.

  13. #28
    Senior Member Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,547

    Default

    This was just fantastic!! I feel like I can enjoy this just as much (more in some cases) as Action Comics. Lobdell just need some time to get his great ideas in line.

    I thought the line from Lex talking about Superman maybe electing in some ways not to make himself that powerful as H'el has done was interesting.

    Put that in the context of the 1st issue of this run (13) and his frustration with Helspont, it makes for very interesting story.

  14. #29
    All Caste Warrior JasonTodd428's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Acres of All
    Posts
    2,612

    Default

    Excellent issue all around. Everyone else has pretty much summed up what I loved about the issue so I've nothing to add to that.
    Characters come and go, revamped and revisited. But as long as you enjoyed them, remember them and continue to appreciate them, then that character, your hero or heroine, will always exist.

  15. #30
    Chirpy And Cheerful Claude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    801

    Default

    Superman and Superboy have such a great dynamic - genuinely fraternal rather than Batman And Robin/Nightwing kind of thing. I hope to see them team up more in the future. Superman even got to disapprove of Kon's friends. :D

    And, yes, as has been said before this was a top notch Luthor and "Man Flash" was a lovely little gag.


    From being really quite poor, "Superman"'s become a regular jolt Wonderfullness, which is nice. And I'll take "H'el On Earth" over "Death of the Family" any day. It's just terrific fun.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •