Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Superman #15 Discussion/Spoilers

This is probably the best single Superman issue from the whole series.

Lobdell's portrayal of Luthor is outstanding, the most imposing and menacing version of the character yet and much better than Morrison's interpretation on Action Comics. This Lex Luthor is a smart, egocentric, manipulating, threatening and creative bastard and frankly I would'nt have it any other way.

Rocafort still kick ass of course, I just wish this whole He'l crossover ends already to see Lobdell's future ideas.

Scott Lobdell, having now finally gotten the voice of Superman right [which is all that was needed, given that his world-building is exceptional], has now risen as my second favorite Superman writer after Grant Morrison in a long time [including the years prior to the reboot].

Pitch perfect Lex Luthor. Pitch perfect Superman. Pitch perfect Superman / Lex Luthor relationship.

Can't wait to read more. [I hope the story of Luthor's scars is handled well, though, and not Superman losing his shit and wanting to kill Luthor - that would be terrible[

The only thing I'm butthurt about is the fact that Lex Luthor is portrayed as smarter than Batman.

Loved Luthor, Superman and Superboy

Rocafort's art is so good

BANNED

In my opinion Luthor should be smarter than Batman.

Batman can be one of the best strategists in the world but Luthor should have one of the most powerful, creative and dangerous minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    In my opinion Luthor should be smarter than Batman.

Batman can be one of the best strategists in the world but Luthor should have one of the most powerful, creative and dangerous minds.
    Damn right. Luthor should be smarter than Batman.

Another stellar issue. I knew Lobdell would bring his A game to Superman, and I have yet to be disappointed.
    X-Poster of the Month: May 2013
    The Best There Is At What I Do

Top Ten Magic Bitches

Infâme et fier de l'être Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thepenguin View Post
    The point of the character is kinda lost if Batman is smarter than him.
    I will agree with my fellow posters above. Probably the best Lobdell issue so far. The confrontation between Superman and his alter ego was very fun, with good lines from both sides ("Yes, Lex, we're all very impressed by your ability to scare off teenagers"). Luthor himself is egocentric, obviously very talented (he can spy Superman from here?) and dangerous, and I find the moment where he states that he "tolerates" (whatever he means by that) Superman because he's the closest thing he has to an equal to be interesting, in a somewhat reversal of his usual feelings toward the Kryptonian. Interesting dialogues between Superman and his clone too. The prison itself is ridiculously awesome, and so was all the traps showed (seriously, it's not Luthor they're trying to hold here, it's Hulk).
    Rocafort's art is as good as ever, and his T shirt wearing Superman kicks ass. Who cares about the armor, or the red trunk? I want Superman to have a jean and a t shiiiiiiiiirrrrrttttt!
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

Absolutely amazingly good issue.
    Luthor was glorious!
    Haha Man-Flash...

Quote Originally Posted by thepenguin View Post
    I think they are equals in smarts, but Batman is limited by his morals and simply less interested in a crazy science that has no use in fighting the crime.

As for the issue, it's great. It has probably the best Luthor since All Star Superman Luthor. Shame that Morrison's young Lex wasn't half as interesting. Also, while I like that we are told what happened in the other series, I still feel like I'm missing big parts of the story.

Infâme et fier de l'être Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celestin View Post
    I think they are equals in smarts, but Batman is limited by his morals and simply less interested in a crazy science that has no use in fighting the crime.

As for the issue, it's great. It has probably the best Luthor since All Star Superman Luthor. Shame that Morrison's young Lex wasn't half as interesting. Also, while I like that we are told what happened in the other series, I still feel like I'm missing big parts of the story.
    I think the point of Action's Lex was that, just like Superman, he was still a "work in progress", not nearly as smart or threatening as he would become later.
    Hence the fatness, the relative cowardice, the smug superiority of a genius that hasn't been challenged yet.......
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    I think the point of Action's Lex was that, just like Superman, he was still a "work in progress", not nearly as smart or threatening as he would become later.
    Hence the fatness, the relative cowardice, the smug superiority of a genius that hasn't been challenged yet.......
    I think it too, but it just wasn't that interesting thing to see.

That bit of narration when wonder woman showed up ("she wants to call him her beloved, but blah, blah, blah") was ridiculously bad. They've been out on one date and they've kissed twice. No need to have them get married next issue, DC

Great issue! Love seeing Superman and Superboy together getting along.
    "A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."

BANNED

Great stuff, enjoyed this issue quite a bit. I love how Lobdell established the dynamic between Lex and Superman. This actually beats Morrison's version Action.

At first I thought they were hinting that Superboy has Lex's DNA, but later Lex had real contempt for him so maybe not?
    Last edited by Mr. Holmes; 01-02-2013 at 10:02 AM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    At first I thought they were hinting that Superboy has Lex's DNA, but later Lex had real contempt for him so maybe not?
    He also says Kon is a "pale shade of the grandeur of his donors" and then later says Superman is the only person close to an equal for him, I'd say he is.

Anyway, I'm actually quite surprised how much I enjoyed this issue. I mean, nowhere close to Inc this week, but jeez, I echo the earlier sentiments of this, probably the best one yet. Loved Lex in this, as well as the story of how the entire prison was built.

I'm also convinced that Kon mentioning the Teen Titans as well as the Justice League showing up is just Lobdell finding excuses to make Rocafort draw as many characters as possible, but I'm not complaining.