View Poll Results: Joe Quesada or Jim Shooter?

Voters
79. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Joe Quesada

14 17.72%
  • Jim Shooter

65 82.28%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Joe Quesada or Jim Shooter?

Joe Quesada or Jim Shooter? 80's comics or modern comics...which are more exciting reads?

Quote Originally Posted by theflyingfrogunderdog View Post
    Joe Quesada or Jim Shooter? 80's comics or modern comics...which are more exciting reads?
    Always preferred the 70's and 80's for Marvel comic they were well paced and tended to just be all around awesome for Spidey I mean you got The Night Gwen Stacy Died, The Hobgoblin, The Black Suit, Black Cat, Spidey Vs the Hulk, The Punisher, Venom, The Original Clone saga not the shitty 90's one, Morbius the living vampire and Madam Web. Today you got The Shitty Clone Saga, OMD, OMIT, Dying Wish, Sins Past and Alpha you tell me the 70's and 80's weren't awesome compared to the crap of the modern age

100% alive since 1978 Ben Smith's Avatar

I liked Quesada's tenure as well, but nothing can beat the '80s
    "I'm sending him a bouquet of cans."

SW

why do I get the feeling if Joe Q saw this poll at the current votes of 10 to zip he'd be like "No one loves me"

Well, I feel that both EICs were more about Pomp and Circumstance rather than serious character development, I feel that Jim Shooter did it better.
    Perfect humility dispenses with modesty.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Smith View Post
    I liked Quesada's tenure as well, but nothing can beat the '80s
    It's called Awesome 80's for a reason

For Spider-Man? Shooter. Definitely Shooter. Haven't read enough other comics to fairly judge overall, but this is currently on the Spider-Man board, so.........
    When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.-C.S.Lewis

Shooter, for me.
    Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.

I think both excelled by hiring great editors to work with great creators to make great books. The more controversial parts of their tenure happened whenever they got more directly involved in projects.

SW

I think both excelled by hiring great editors to work with great creators to make great books. The more controversial parts of their tenure happened whenever they got more directly involved in projects.
    Tough call. I prefer the Marvel comics of the 1980's overall but Quesada also had the vision/resolve to help pull Marvel out of bankruptcy and start up the Marvel Knights brand which eventually led to the main line of comics being darker/grittier and undeniably more successful at attracting a new audience. In many ways, both editors were very successful for their respective eras.
    "What oldschool said"
    The Shadow, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Tough call. I prefer the Marvel comics of the 1980's overall but Quesada also had the vision/resolve to help pull Marvel out of bankruptcy and start up the Marvel Knights brand which eventually led to the main line of comics being darker/grittier and undeniably more successful at attracting a new audience. In many ways, both editors were very successful for their respective eras.
    true, but Shooter presided over the most lopsided trouncing of Marvel over DC in terms of overall sales in history (from what I've read)

SW

Post Editing OCD Confuzzled Mutie's Avatar

true, but Shooter presided over the most lopsided trouncing of Marvel over DC in terms of overall sales in history (from what I've read)
    QFT. Also, Quesada would have had a lot more votes here if he hadn't gone out of his way to make some incredibly unpopular decisions. Enough has been said about OMD so let's ignore that and look at the X-Men under the tenures of the two EiCs instead. The mutant brand rapidly grew and flourished under Shooter, while Quesada brought about "No More Mutants!". Aargh, just when Grant Morrison was doing some really interesting things with the X-Men and the mutant race. They were finally progressing towards acceptance after years of fighting for it like a real life minority group in a civilized 21st century society, but apparently no. They had to be "hated, feared and hunted".

It was his unnecessary decisions to regress characters and storylines which will overshadow his achievements, now and forever.

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Quesada's 'back to basics' decisions are interesting in light of Marvel NOW!

BTW, I'm not arguing that every call was rooted in a 'back to basics' approach. But OMD certainly was--Harry's back, Pete's single and living with Aunt May, and he's down on his luck.

So you invest all this time and energy in the argument that Peter's marital status is essential for long term growth, and less than ten years later spoilers:
    he's dead!
    end of spoilers
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    BTW, I'm not arguing that every call was rooted in a 'back to basics' approach. But OMD certainly was--Harry's back, Pete's single and living with Aunt May, and he's down on his luck.

So you invest all this time and energy in the argument that Peter's marital status is essential for long term growth
    When did Peter move back in with Aunt May??? And is he so down on his luck that he's not successful in his Horizon job???