View Poll Results: Is Aunt May Really Necessary?!

Voters
111. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes, of course you idiot!

30 27.03%
  • No, not really!

81 72.97%
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    And I liked this idea. It never made sense to me that Peter essentially blew off Harry when he was in his drug withdrawal. Peter had tons of stress, but it just seemed out of character. And Norman kidnapping Gwen was out of the blue, even though its part of a great, iconic story. Anyway, water under the bridge. It was a pretty wild and crazy idea and I admit that it probably would have chased away tons of readers.
    Shouldn't that be 'Gwen Stacy under the bridge'?
    Last edited by Tendrin; 01-17-2013 at 05:14 PM.

Hell no, and One More Day illustrated that. Who the hell throws away their marriage to save their elderly aunt?

Quote Originally Posted by CHOX View Post
    Hell no, and One More Day illustrated that. Who the hell throws away their marriage to save their elderly aunt?
    Someone who is unable to live with the fact that his decisions got his aunt shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Someone who is unable to live with the fact that his decisions got his aunt shot.
    By making another decision that horribly effected others. He really lucked out on the mind wipe thing.

Edit: Though it does help reinforce my whole self interest point.
    Last edited by charlesthehammer; 01-17-2013 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by charlesthehammer View Post
    By making another decision that horribly effected others. He really lucked out on the mind wipe thing.
    Seriously. You can say what you want about erasing the marriage and whether or not it was a good idea or a bad idea, but the answers many people in this thread and others have given about why Peter should've let Aunt May die sound like the same arguments a pretty unlikeable Supervillain would give.

"She was old! She was gonna die anyways!" I mean, yeah. What kind of person sacrifices something of great personal value to save others?! WHAT A LOSER.

I feel like you missed my point.

I totally misread your post, it's true. I thought you were referring to the original unmasking. XD Since, y'know, my understanding is that they both agreed to it, so it was more 'their' decision, rather than merely 'his'.

I totally misread your post, it's true. I thought you were referring to the original unmasking. XD Since, y'know, my understanding is that they both agreed to it, so it was more 'their' decision, rather than merely 'his'.
    I see it as mostly his, and she basically said do what you feel you need to do. Though I am biased as I liked the marriage and feel that Aunt May is an albatross around Peters neck.

edit: Though death doesn't have to be the ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    It's pretty odd that Aunt May was in and out of the hospital so much in the beginning and looked about 90, yet 50 years later, she looks like she is in her 70's and has an active life.
    I don't see how she made it through the first 50 issues. It was one heart attack after another. She was still feeble into the 200's, when I quit reading for about 25 years. I couldn't believe that she was not only alive, but de-aged when I came back. She will probably be around another 20 years unless they just decide to kill her off. It's funny to look back at those old issues where anything shocking would send her right back to the hospital and realize that we just accept this premise.
    At some undisclosed point May gets ahold of or is secretly being dosed with the Infinity Formula
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Post Editing OCD Confuzzled Mutie's Avatar

Seriously. You can say what you want about erasing the marriage and whether or not it was a good idea or a bad idea, but the answers many people in this thread and others have given about why Peter should've let Aunt May die sound like the same arguments a pretty unlikeable Supervillain would give.

"She was old! She was gonna die anyways!" I mean, yeah. What kind of person sacrifices something of great personal value to save others?! WHAT A LOSER.
    Your point is kind of lost when there was a specific instance where someone (Tony?) pointed out to Peter that May would have died of natural causes soon anyway to which Peter whines, "But then it wouldn't be because of me!!!", or something to that effect. Yup, real hero there.

What I don't get is does May know Peter is Spider-Man or not? During Fear Itself Spidey is swinging around looking for her, yelling to random "Where is May Parker?", "Has anyone Seen May Parker?" When he finally finds her she asks why search for her he replies basically "Duh, Peter asked me too. I have nothing better to do than run around looking for the aunt of some guys who takes pictures of me while the worlds ending." Is there some consensus that modern writers don't want her to know Peter and Spidey are the same?
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by charlesthehammer View Post
    Peter being self involved seems rather in character, IMO.
    Ok, that is true, and I accept that my comment is basically saying "thats not how I want to see the character." But...thats not how I want to see the character. And it seemed awfully cold even considering his tendencies.
    Perfect humility dispenses with modesty.

In the Evil Force of Evil Chiasm's Avatar

May finally became interesting when she learned Peter's secret. One More Day threw that all away. Now she is a boring albatross.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiasm View Post
    May finally became interesting when she learned Peter's secret. One More Day threw that all away. Now she is a boring albatross.
    I wasn't in favor of bringing May back from the dead in the first place, but I did enjoy what JMS did with the character. I also thought it was a shame she lost the progression she'd gained during his tenure.
    Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.

Quote Originally Posted by bskell View Post
    I never cared for May in the comics even as a kid. When Peter got older and had his own life, she was even more pointless. Personally I thought that issue 400 was a brilliant story and one of the greatest Spider-Man stories off all time. I thought it was a perfect send off but alas they brought her back. I had dropped the title at that point over it as it just felt so off and the book just didn't work for me anymore. I only picked it up after the One more day storyline (yep I was one of those new readers.. sorry I didn't know!), though I have to say I still don't think she was worth selling a soul to save or giving up a marriage for. At this point, according to Marvel, Aunt May has more relevance than Xavier who they just bumped off.
    Professor X's death brings something to the X-books, allowing writers to explore what happens to the X-Men when they don't have a leader. It also echoes events throughout history. Abraham Lincoln died before reconstruction can begin. FDR died before the war ended. Civil Rights leaders like Martin Luther King were assassinated. Moses was not able to survive until he reached the promised land.

Killing off Aunt May doesn't really bring anything to the series. If anything, it's tougher to relate to, as most of us have some surviving members of the older generation.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?