Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Oddest Superman Story/Idea?

What are the oddest Superman stories out there?

I just read Action Comics 370 "Superman's Lost Century!"

Once upon a time, Superman's rocket traveled through a space warp, landed on a parallel Earth, and ended up pulling a 2001 on the planet. He is a living Kubrick Monolith! He takes the prehistoric beings that live there into a future world much like Krypton. He speeds them up from the caveman era to the Jetsons in one century. Also, he has no powers but gives off "super radiation". Other than that, he's human.

The planet ends up going mad, turning on Superman, and hunting him as a criminal until he is elderly. Eventually his son, yeah he has a son, sends him back through the space warp where he "de-ages" back to infancy and lands in 1930s Earth, for the Kents to raise as we've always read. He becomes the Superman we know and love!

The art looks like Ross Andru and it was canon at one time?

Then I read Action comics 388 which sends Superman to a Mad Magazine version of Earth... so that first one doesn't even win for oddest Superman story I've read today.

Also one of the back ups features Supergirl in love with a dead ringer for Superman. This has to be the third Supergirl/ Kal El romance idea I've read from the Silver Age. What was the deal? Are they're so perfect they can only love each other, or back then was the idea of "kissing cousins" somehow less odd?

Anyways, I also read Irredeemable volume 7 today and somehow it fits in with all those crazy Superman Silver Age stories.
    Last edited by Coyote2010; 01-01-2013 at 06:01 PM.

"Grounded" and New 52 Superman.

(You knew someone was going to say the current version of Superman . . . admit it!)
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

(You knew someone was going to say the current version of Superman . . . admit it!)
    What's odd about a younger, unmarried Superman? Forgive me, but that seems like how Superman started out.

One of the oddest was in a early 40s Superman story where Clark took Lois to the movies. They began to show a Superman cartoon first and Clark realized that the cartoon was going to show him changing to Superman on the screen. He had to keep distracting Lois from seeing those scenes.Weird

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    What's odd about a younger, unmarried Superman? Forgive me, but that seems like how Superman started out.
    I'm sure facts in your life are also being wiped out, revamped and rebooted all the time.

I'm a Junior Member! Kilgore Trout's Avatar

For Tomorrow was a year long story that featured Superman as a forgetful bad guy.

It was so odd it actually put me off reading comics for a couple of years.
    I live in America. It's not a country, it's a business.

Actually didn't see that coming, Grounded or For Tomorrow either. But Funny!

Virginia, United States Of 'Merica, bitches!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
    For Tomorrow was a year long story that featured Superman as a forgetful bad guy.

It was so odd it actually put me off reading comics for a couple of years.
    It didn't put me off reading comics, but it sucked a lot of my enthusiasm for the Superman line. I never quit the books...but it made me ponder it.

Artistically it was gorgeous...but the story was so painfully bad.

Can't believe this was the same Brian Azzarello who wrote LEX LUTHOR :MAN OF STEEL, which was one of the best Luthor stories of all time IMO.

As for my vote for wacked out idea/story...turning Superman into a blue smurf with energy powers comes to mind.

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

Smurfs are blue

Are those stories reprinted anywhere in color, Coyote?

BANNED

Great, didn't even take one post for someone to take an interesting thread topic and make this a "dump on whatever story I don't like"

It's Lexrules... GET HIM. Lexrules's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Great, didn't even take one post for someone to take an interesting thread topic and make this a "dump on whatever story I don't like"
    And it wasn't even me Mr. Holmes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    And it wasn't even me Mr. Holmes.
    Hilarious, Superman fans the most jaded comic fans in the world... I'm going to start another thread called "Superman Fans: Always the Bridesmaids..."

Anyways, Mr. B.!

I don't think it has been reproduced in color or Black and White. The art is so unlike any I have seen reprinted from the Silver or Bronze Age collections, even the Showcase presents stop well before. I wonder if Curt Swan did retouches here as well? I'm sure Lonestar Comics can get ahold of them?

The books from that era that I have read all feature, I think its Andru art, because it looks nothing like Shuster, Plastino, Boring, or Swan. I got a handful on a Black Friday LCS sale. Great Sci Fi stuff, reminds me of Star Trek at its best.

You should check out Cover Browser because there are a few comics from that era with some great Neal Adams covers...

On thread I'm about to read Action 436 featuring Perry Whites Super Cigars... Love Nu 52 Supes because of the craziness just like these oldies...

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote2010 View Post
    Hilarious, Superman fans the most jaded comic fans in the world... I'm going to start another thread called "Superman Fans: Always the Bridesmaids..."
    Could I at least catch the bouquet..

Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    Could I at least catch the bouquet..
    Alternate thread: "Superman, my mom thinks I'm cool."

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote2010 View Post
    Alternate thread: "Superman, my mom thinks I'm cool."
    Well sure, most mom's think I'm cool. They see the bald head and it drives them wild...

Not easy being this sexy.