Page 336 of 354 FirstFirst ... 236286326332333334335336337338339340346 ... LastLast
Results 5,026 to 5,040 of 5307

Quote Originally Posted by Jared H. View Post
    And all joking aside Spike, your son is going into High School with an awesome dad who is obviously invested in his children and has their back, and that counts for a lot.
    Thanks, man. I appreciate that.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

Quote Originally Posted by thehod View Post
    We just don't have a tipping culture here, so its kind of odd to see it being such a big deal somewhere else. Im sure the inverse is true for you guys.
    Not really, as I assume the reason there's no tipping culture in the UK is because service staff there get paid a relatively decent wage to begin with. As Pol pointed out, tipping culture is kind of forced upon us here in the US thanks to laws that allow restaraunts to get away with paying third-world wages, requiring customers to make up the difference. Tips are taxed here becuase however customers may look at it, it's legally considered part of their salary.

I'd probably still tip even if the situation were different, but believe me I do wish the situation were different becuase it's completely fucked up and many people don't seem to realize it. At least I hope they don't realize it, because is some of these people out there know the situation then they aren't just being cheap, they're being vindictive. I want to give people the benefit of the doubt and assume they aren't complete assholes. Call me an optimist.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared H. View Post
    Mostly customers.
    I figured. Was a rhetorical question.

Quote Originally Posted by Pl Rua View Post
    I'm glad my boss' philosophy is that you pay (and treat) your employees well, they have a better attitude about work and put more enthusiasm and hard work into the business. So far, it seems to have paid off well. I mean, sure, if you want bitter, resentful fucks who hate you and your job and do just enough to get by, sure, pay 'em peanuts.
    Your bosses ethos is the only one that makes any damn sense, and its astonishing that others dont see that.
    The Hod: Novelist, raconteur and celebrated sexual athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Pl Rua View Post
    Apparently, the employers' point of view is that if they pay the workers better, they'll have to fire some and everyone will be unemployed.
    Of course that's the attitude, the alternative is . . . *gasp* . . . smaller profits!

Well, that or going out of business, but if paying a decent wage means the difference between staying open and shutting down, you're probably in the wrong business.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald M. View Post
    Not really, as I assume the reason there's no tipping culture in the UK is because service staff there get paid a relatively decent wage to begin with. As Pol pointed out, tipping culture is kind of forced upon us here in the US thanks to laws that allow restaraunts to get away with paying third-world wages, requiring customers to make up the difference. Tips are taxed here becuase however customers may look at it, it's legally considered part of their salary.
    Yeah, and its the sort of thing that slips my mind whenever tipping is discussed because the concept of paying people SUCH a shitty wage and it being accepted and legislated for is the real headscratcher.

Whenever I get to visit the states (the day's coming, its coming one day, so brace yerselves.) its something I'm going to have to steal myself against, because when in Rome, and all that.
    The Hod: Novelist, raconteur and celebrated sexual athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Because when you have/get a low-end cheap computer...you get what you paid for.
    *sob* It's true, I cannot deny.

I actually set foot in a computer store for the first time in a couple of years yesterday. They're all making them like iMacs now! But with touch screens!
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

I want an old school computer the size of a pantry.
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/

Ugh, just had a (false) fire alarm at school. Now my ears are ringing.
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    I want an old school computer the size of a pantry.
    "And this shelf is where all the RAM is..."

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    "And this shelf is where all the RAM is..."
    And what did they call them, punch cards? I want those, those were cool. And they predate computers!
    My blog.

- Desmond Tutu

You should get yourself an Enigma machine.

Well, now that I have a boyfriend with keys to ma apartment, I might have to start encrypting my diary again.
    My blog.

- Desmond Tutu

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    Well, now that I have a boyfriend with keys to ma apartment, I might have to start encrypting my diary again.
    "Day 21457: Still not King."
    I'm autistic. What's your excuse?

AKA Muffin, Rear Admiral Nerdcock...

Y'know that thing I said that got you offended? I was just joking.