Page 182 of 354 FirstFirst ... 82132172178179180181182183184185186192232282 ... LastLast
Results 2,716 to 2,730 of 5307
  1. #2716
    Too late Nick Soapdish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hurricane-y FL
    Posts
    14,089

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Puma View Post
    Fire is actually good for most forests by removing old or dying vegetation which allows new growth of healthier trees and plants by opening up the canopy. Also, certain conifers spread their seed through fire, the heat causes the cones to burst open, spreading the seeds throughout (pines and even redwoods do this, although with redwoods it is much more common for new growth to emerge from the root system); nothing like seeing a pine explode while fighting a fire. Fire also stops most catastrophic fires, unless the land is in a drought condition and even then the damage tends to less; when there are regular small fires the likelihood of a BIG one is reduced. Here in California the Parks and Forestry stage controlled burns, depending on the location these are either brush pile burns or acreage burns, this helps prevent catastrophic fires in parks and wildlands near metropolitan areas. They also, and the national forestry as well, no longer immediately jump to stop any and all wildfires unless life or property is in eminent danger. A lot was learned after the BIG Yellowstone fire.

    As to animals, well, yeah, some die in forest fires; the weak, the old, or the very young if the fire happens in the spring or early summer- which usually happens during a significant drought period and then, frankly, the entire forest is in a unhealthy state for new life. Nature is nature.
    Yep. Having lots of little fires is generally good for the environment and doesn't kill animals. The problem that we're having with fires is that we suppressed fires for decades, resulting in tremendous fuel loads which managers have been trying to cut into (often literally by roller-chopping it so that it doesn't stretch into the canopy and makes a more compact fire). But we've also been very dry for several years which has made it difficult to have controlled burns anywhere. So we just have really uncontrolled burns instead.

  2. #2717
    Hawkguy(s) AnarCHris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    1,082

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
    Well, first you must kill and eat six internet trolls. Then you carve their thigh bones into ritualistic daggers, which you must use to...well, we'll get to that once you complete the first stage.
    Sounds legit. Is there a preferred method to KILL/EAT, or will I be tested on creatively? Also what's the office stance on cooking method/sauces. I want to know if I'll lose points if I go with a North Carolina-style BBQ method. Because if I do, that's bullplop.

    Same applies with the daggers. Is there a preferred shape, or can I carve up something of my own creation?

  3. #2718
    Princess Vagina bipolar danger girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Canadian in Texas
    Posts
    6,679

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
    NOOOOOOO, I just got here! D=
    My husband says you keep me up too late.

    I'm not reading a fucking article!

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald M. View Post
    I'm pretty sure there were forest fires before the technology to effectively fight (or at least attempt to fight) them existed. I'm also pretty sure the enviroment's still here. I'm also pretty sure that fluffy forest creatures die horribly every day no matter what we do or don't do. So nyaaah!
    Two words. Roasted duck. No. Three words. Roasted duck testicles.

    Are you watching Grey's Anatomy with me tonight?


    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    It's not even an even trade. Fires are instrumental in clearing out old dead undergrowth, etc. that chokes off the forest growth (I'm sure I'm not putting that right, but Puma can probably fix it up). Many times, in old grow forests, it's an actively good thing.
    Sounds good. I still don't think making a Wonder Woman comic book about it was a good idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald M. View Post
    Yesterday here in Boston it got up to 60 degrees. Tonight it's 36 and it's supposed to snow later. The fuck?
    Why is Boston having Frisco weather?


    Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    The Neptune fountain downtown on my lunch break.
    I never ever thought I would type these words. That fountain is hot.

    Quote Originally Posted by Puma View Post
    Fire is actually good for most forests by removing old or dying vegetation which allows new growth of healthier trees and plants by opening up the canopy. Also, certain conifers spread their seed through fire, the heat causes the cones to burst open, spreading the seeds throughout (pines and even redwoods do this, although with redwoods it is much more common for new growth to emerge from the root system); nothing like seeing a pine explode while fighting a fire. Fire also stops most catastrophic fires, unless the land is in a drought condition and even then the damage tends to less; when there are regular small fires the likelihood of a BIG one is reduced. Here in California the Parks and Forestry stage controlled burns, depending on the location these are either brush pile burns or acreage burns, this helps prevent catastrophic fires in parks and wildlands near metropolitan areas. They also, and the national forestry as well, no longer immediately jump to stop any and all wildfires unless life or property is in eminent danger. A lot was learned after the BIG Yellowstone fire.

    As to animals, well, yeah, some die in forest fires; the weak, the old, or the very young if the fire happens in the spring or early summer- which usually happens during a significant drought period and then, frankly, the entire forest is in a unhealthy state for new life. Nature is nature.


    morning people.
    Got it. Let it burn. Morning cat.

    Quote Originally Posted by AnarCHris View Post
    And if you don't mind me asking, do you know the name of the wig company she's employed at? I'm curious if it's my friend's company, or something else (and odds are I'll be at a con she'll be working out in Chicago come April, lol).
    She works for Arda Wigs. Facebook is a wonderful thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by jessecuster3 View Post
    Good morning, nerds.

    Told my boss to stay home again, today. I don't want that flu!
    Our doctor told Mr Strange that he would be contagious for 10 days. There's no fucking way I won't get sick. I'm depressed about it, and I can't even poison him to make myself feel better, because he's too sick. I might kill him, and that would ruin all my fun.

    Quote Originally Posted by AnarCHris View Post
    Alright, so I'v been active on this particular thread for about 2.5 days, and I've noticed there's at least 2 other comic bros from NYC. This is cool, although I'm secrelty beginning to think that maybe I'm some sort of sleeper agent here to take over the board as part of a greater, but not really well thought out plan.
    Nothing about you is sleepy. You are wakey. Wide fucking awakey.
    The unicorn is kind of lonely
    Being unique and oh so corny
    Mounting does not amount to much
    The unicorn is unic-horny.
    ~the4thpip

    Diamonds, Daisies, Snowflakes,
    Bipolar Danger Girl
    Chestnuts, Rainbows, Springtime ...
    Is Bipolar Danger Girl
    She's tinsel on a tree ...
    She's everything that every girl should be!
    Sable, Popcorn, White Wine,
    Bipolar Danger Girl
    Gingham, Bluebirds, Broadway ...
    Is Bipolar Danger Girl
    She's mine alone, but luckily for you ...
    If you find a girl to love,
    Only one girl to love,
    Then she'll be Bipolar Danger Girl too ...
    Bipolar Danger Girl!
    ~fly on the wall

  4. #2719
    MacGyver of Porn Squirrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Nuttier than squirrel poo
    Posts
    3,634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnarCHris View Post
    Sounds legit. Is there a preferred method to KILL/EAT, or will I be tested on creatively? Also what's the office stance on cooking method/sauces. I want to know if I'll lose points if I go with a North Carolina-style BBQ method. Because if I do, that's bullplop.

    Same applies with the daggers. Is there a preferred shape, or can I carve up something of my own creation?
    Creativity is key. Bonus points if you have sex with the corpses before consumption. Or pay someone to have sex with them. As for Carolina BBQ - that's practically a requirement, although honey mustard or bacon mayonnaise would also be acceptable.
    Scarecrow is legally retarded, uneducated, and medically speaking, is the floor of a Hee Haw set dressed up like a hobo. ~seanbaby

  5. #2720
    MacGyver of Porn Squirrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Nuttier than squirrel poo
    Posts
    3,634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bipolar danger girl View Post
    Our doctor told Mr Strange that he would be contagious for 10 days. There's no fucking way I won't get sick. I'm depressed about it, and I can't even poison him to make myself feel better, because he's too sick. I might kill him, and that would ruin all my fun.
    I shall send you entertainment as soon as my student loan money comes. Hopefully you don't get sick until it gets there. I mean...not that it will make you sick. It...oh never fucking mind.
    Scarecrow is legally retarded, uneducated, and medically speaking, is the floor of a Hee Haw set dressed up like a hobo. ~seanbaby

  6. #2721
    Hawkguy(s) AnarCHris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    1,082

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bipolar danger girl View Post

    She works for Arda Wigs. Facebook is a wonderful thing.


    Nothing about you is sleepy. You are wakey. Wide fucking awakey.
    Thought as much. I actually JUST ordered a wig from them last night for something I'm working on for shows in Feb & March. I like Arda and ton, so that's awesome, and I'm 99% certain I'll see their booth at c2e2 if they're selling there again. Also it's scary how close-knitted the cosplay community is.

    I am now wakey because I'm slamming a latte from Dunkin Donuts. It's disgusting BTW. But getting the job done. I'll crash in 5 hours, but before then I'll hopey be need deep in troll-kills for Squirrel.

  7. #2722
    Elder Member Winslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Posts
    13,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
    Oh, Winslow honey, of COURSE you sparkle. Don't let anyone tell you different.
    Heh! Maybe that's why I had the nickname Sparky in 6th grade.

  8. #2723
    Were You There? Michael P's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Location, Location!
    Posts
    31,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
    Bonus points if you have sex with the corpses before consumption.
    I know you're just goofing around, but Jesus fucking Christ, I'm trying to eat a sandwich here.
    Last edited by Michael P; 01-16-2013 at 09:07 AM.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

  9. #2724
    Hawkguy(s) AnarCHris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    1,082

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
    Creativity is key. Bonus points if you have sex with the corpses before consumption. Or pay someone to have sex with them. As for Carolina BBQ - that's practically a requirement, although honey mustard or bacon mayonnaise would also be acceptable.

    Nice to know creatively is rewarded! As for pre-devouring nookie, I'm not down with getting my BONE! on with corpses, so I'll go with having someone pay me for the rights. Thanks in advance Craigslist!

    Good to know Honey Mustard is acceptable, as is Carolina BBQ. Someone once told me Texas was the superior BBQ style (aka BURNT), which is a stupid butt-face lie.

  10. #2725
    Merrily We Roll Along Merey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,490

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Puma View Post
    My personal favorite is people who come to the library while sick (obviously so) or with kids who are sick and say "we want to get some books and dvds to read/watch while I/we are sick"; thanks for sharing folks!

    I am hoping I regain my tolerance for germs soon. It took about two years when I first started working in a closed environment with people to stop catching every damn little thing; for the past 18 months I have generally not worked much with the public, it is only since October that I am back with them on a daily basis. Going to be a long winter.
    My MIL, a children's librarian, also said that it takes about two years. She says that the new staff always take quite a beating.
    It's wanting to know that makes us matter. Otherwise we're going out the way we came in. That's why you can't believe in the afterlife. Believe in the after, by all means, but not the life. Believe in God, the soul, the spirit, the infinite, believe in angels if you like, but not in the great celestial get-together for an exchange of views. If the answers are in the back of the book I can wait, but what a drag. Better to struggle on knowing that failure is final. - Hannah, Arcadia

  11. #2726
    Princess Vagina bipolar danger girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Canadian in Texas
    Posts
    6,679

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
    I shall send you entertainment as soon as my student loan money comes. Hopefully you don't get sick until it gets there. I mean...not that it will make you sick. It...oh never fucking mind.
    Wait... how much money is it going to cost you? I though you were just going to mail me a pre-exsisting flash drive. I don't want to take your student loan money! Maybe I could have my sugar henchman pay for it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Winslow View Post
    Heh! Maybe that's why I had the nickname Sparky in 6th grade.
    That's adorable, but I still prefer Batman.

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    I know you're just goofing around, but Jesus fucking Christ, I'm trying to eat a sandwich here.
    Poop snot vomit sweat rot scab yeast fart phlem

    Quote Originally Posted by AnarCHris View Post
    Nice to know creatively is rewarded! As for pre-devouring nookie, I'm not down with getting my BONE! on with corpses, so I'll go with having someone pay me for the rights. Thanks in advance Craigslist!

    Good to know Honey Mustard is acceptable, as is Carolina BBQ. Someone once told me Texas was the superior BBQ style (aka BURNT), which is a stupid butt-face lie.
    Texas does not have the best barbecue, but it is better than Canadian barbecue. I think Tennessee might hold that title. Or maybe Australia, since they're always throwing stuff on the barbie.
    The unicorn is kind of lonely
    Being unique and oh so corny
    Mounting does not amount to much
    The unicorn is unic-horny.
    ~the4thpip

    Diamonds, Daisies, Snowflakes,
    Bipolar Danger Girl
    Chestnuts, Rainbows, Springtime ...
    Is Bipolar Danger Girl
    She's tinsel on a tree ...
    She's everything that every girl should be!
    Sable, Popcorn, White Wine,
    Bipolar Danger Girl
    Gingham, Bluebirds, Broadway ...
    Is Bipolar Danger Girl
    She's mine alone, but luckily for you ...
    If you find a girl to love,
    Only one girl to love,
    Then she'll be Bipolar Danger Girl too ...
    Bipolar Danger Girl!
    ~fly on the wall

  12. #2727
    Lord Stanley jessecuster3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Chicago!
    Posts
    18,142

    Default

    I will take Chicago baby back ribs over anywhere else in the country.

    For example.
    Listen to this: alt-j - Something Good

  13. #2728
    Merrily We Roll Along Merey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,490

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
    That's going around here, too. Everyone at Muffin's work had diarrhea all night. =P
    Oh god, I wish that's all I had. Grossness filter: spoilers:
    Seriously, how does one stop themselves from vomiting their their nose? Because no matter what I did, I couldn't stop it. Oh and pain and grossness!
    end of spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by Winslow View Post
    I saw her a month ago at 36th and 5th
    A chance meeting? Or super-secret CBRNY gathering? I haven't spoken to/heard from Das in a while (since Sandy). Yikes, I need to reach out.
    It's wanting to know that makes us matter. Otherwise we're going out the way we came in. That's why you can't believe in the afterlife. Believe in the after, by all means, but not the life. Believe in God, the soul, the spirit, the infinite, believe in angels if you like, but not in the great celestial get-together for an exchange of views. If the answers are in the back of the book I can wait, but what a drag. Better to struggle on knowing that failure is final. - Hannah, Arcadia

  14. #2729
    Elder Member Winslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Posts
    13,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Merey View Post
    A chance meeting? Or super-secret CBRNY gathering?
    A little of both. My meeting ended and I had some time to kill before my train left, so we met near Penn Station and had a few drinks. A spontaneous meet-up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Merey View Post
    I haven't spoken to/heard from Das in a while (since Sandy). Yikes, I need to reach out.
    She's super busy.

  15. #2730
    Princess Vagina bipolar danger girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Canadian in Texas
    Posts
    6,679

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Merey View Post
    Oh god, I wish that's all I had. Grossness filter: spoilers:
    Seriously, how does one stop themselves from vomiting their their nose? Because no matter what I did, I couldn't stop it. Oh and pain and grossness!
    end of spoilers
    Yuck! Those spoil things never work for me. I always want to know what's in the pretty cream package.

    I vomited on the side of the road after a dinner date with the hubby just over a week ago. Not my best moment.



    Quote Originally Posted by Merey View Post
    A chance meeting? Or super-secret CBRNY gathering? I haven't spoken to/heard from Das in a while (since Sandy). Yikes, I need to reach out.
    FINE! I'll admit it. It's my fault she doesn't post here anymore. I hounded her with PM's until it was either kill me, or leave CBR. I couldn't help it! But I swear on the boob religion if she comes back I will never ever PM her again... unless I absolutely fucking have to. I should totally PM her and tell her that.
    The unicorn is kind of lonely
    Being unique and oh so corny
    Mounting does not amount to much
    The unicorn is unic-horny.
    ~the4thpip

    Diamonds, Daisies, Snowflakes,
    Bipolar Danger Girl
    Chestnuts, Rainbows, Springtime ...
    Is Bipolar Danger Girl
    She's tinsel on a tree ...
    She's everything that every girl should be!
    Sable, Popcorn, White Wine,
    Bipolar Danger Girl
    Gingham, Bluebirds, Broadway ...
    Is Bipolar Danger Girl
    She's mine alone, but luckily for you ...
    If you find a girl to love,
    Only one girl to love,
    Then she'll be Bipolar Danger Girl too ...
    Bipolar Danger Girl!
    ~fly on the wall

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •