Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Best & Worst DC Animated Films?!

DC films can be either hit or miss with me but overall I'd say most of them are pretty enjoyable. I like the adaptation of Darwyn Cooke's New Frontier and thought Gotham Knight was pretty interesting. I thought Wonder Woman and Superman/Batman: Public Enemies were OK but pretty much haven't picked up an animated DC film since then. I'm curious to know which films people like the most, which ones they found OK and which they thought were utter sh!t.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Ood Omega View Post
    DC films can be either hit or miss with me but overall I'd say most of them are pretty enjoyable. I like the adaptation of Darwyn Cooke's New Frontier and thought Gotham Knight was pretty interesting. I thought Wonder Woman and Superman/Batman: Public Enemies were OK but pretty much haven't picked up an animated DC film since then. I'm curious to know which films people like the most, which ones they found OK and which they thought were utter sh!t.
    Under the Red Hood is my favorite. Great film.

The best DC Animated film I saw was Batman Year One and the worse was All Star Superman. And this isn't because of my biases towards the stories in particular (Year One being my all time favorite Batman story and All Star being just okay in my mind), it is based on how well it adapts the material, what it does new, the animation, the voice acting, etc. When it comes down to it, Year One is adapted flawlessly in mind while All Star has tons of problems in its attempt to adaption a 12 issue mini series.

Don't do the Limbo sunofdarkchild's Avatar

Mask of the Phantasm stands heads and shoulders above the rest. It ranks with the best superhero movies ever and deserves to be the one that got a theatrical release.

Most of the rest are still good too. Subezero benifits from being so much better than Batman and Robin. Public Enemies was fun. Apocalypse was a great adaptation. Under the Red Hood was better than Jason's return in the comics in every way. All Star Superman is one of the best Superman stories in any medium. The Justice League movies are all good. Year one and TDKR aren't as good as the orignal comics, but still very worthwhile. Of the ones I've seen Wonder Woman is the weak link, though not really bad.

Thanks for the recommendations. I have a giftcard and was thinking about getting TDKR part 1 but not sure if I should wait till Part 2 comes out. I can't tell if your serious about Mask of the Phantasm though.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Ood Omega View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations. I have a giftcard and was thinking about getting TDKR part 1 but not sure if I should wait till Part 2 comes out. I can't tell if your serious about Mask of the Phantasm though.
    Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths.

Crime Syndicate (E-3) vs Justice League (E-1)

Long Live the Hogs Burning Eyes's Avatar

In terms of character faithfulness and overall quality, here's my opinion of them.

Great
    New Frontier
    Wonder Woman
    Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
    Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
    Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam
    All-Star Superman
    Justice League: Doom
    Superman vs. the Elite

Good
    Green Lantern: First Flight
    2nd Green Lantern (can't remember it's name)

Mediocre
    Superman Doomsday

Outside of the poor art work, I really liked Superman vs. The Elite
    I haven't seen any of the solo Batman movies (Red Hood, Year One, etc), so I can't say anything on them.
    My biggest complaint is that they haven't strayed too far from Batman, Superman, or the JLA.

I think that DC animated is better when the stories ae original, my favorites are the first Worlds Finest, Gotham Knights, and Mask of the Phantasm. I love the season long Justice League Unlimited story lines much better.

As to worst, All Star Superman falls so short of the comic it's heartbreaking. ( I would like to see a computer animated Kingdom Come with Alex Ross art come to life) I think they generally stray to far from the actual comic art.

Best
    Superman/Batman Apocalypse
    Justice League Crisis on Two Earths
    Batman Under the Red Hood
    Justice League New Frontier

Worst
    Batman Gotham Knight
    Wonder Woman
    Green Lantern First Flight
    Green Lantern Emrald Knights
    All Star Superman
    "My name is Blink. Who do you THINK is faster?"

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

My personal favorites:

Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
    Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
    Wonder Woman
    Justice League: New Frontier

Average but entertaining:

Green Lantern: First Flight
    Superman vs. the Elite
    Superman/Batman: Public Enemies

Poor:

All Star Superman
    Superman: Doomsday

The rest, I have not seen.
    Superhero comic books only become art to the extent that their banal, unrealistic fantasy and garish styles go too far and become interesting. Attempts to ground them in reality can only ruin them.

Master of Time and Space Xarcon's Avatar

Umm...I liked:

Batman: Under the Red Hood
    Batman: Return of the Joker
    Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
    Green Lantern: Emerald Knights

I know I've seen more that I liked, but I can't recall them at the moment. I didn't really care for New Frontier.
    I'm still waiting for a new Wonder Twins ongoing. Let's make it happen, DC.

BANNED

Liked:
    New Frontier
    Gotham Knight (yeah I'm that guy)
    Crisis on Two Earths
    Under the Red Hood (best one yet IMO)
    All Star Superman
    Year One

Okay:
    Wonder Woman
    GL: First Flight
    S/B: Public Enemies
    GL: Emerald Knights
    Dark Knight Returns Part 1

Bad:
    S: Doomsday
    S/B: Apocalypse
    JL: Doom
    Superman vs The Elite.

DC Comics Forum Moderator The Darknight Detective's Avatar

I like them all, but my favorite is Justice League: New Frontier. That one just moves me the most.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I shall become a bat!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I like them all, but my favorite is Justice League: New Frontier. That one just moves me the most.
    It was really good, but I wish it got a 2 parter like DKR to adapt the whole comic.