Default Should I read Daredevil: Born Again Before the Bendis/Maleev trades??

Basically, after getting hooked on Waid's current run, I've been diving into DD's back catalog to read some of the now-classic stories and runs, and after receiving some of these books for Christmas, I'm wondering if I'd benefit from reading Miller's "Born Again" before I dive into the Bendis run...? Thoughts, advice?
    Weird heroes and mould-breaking champions exist as living proof to those who need it that the tyranny of 'the rat race' is not yet final. -HST-

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

You don't need to, but Born Again is a fairly quick read and pretty great in the bargain.

That said, if you're planning on reading Kevin Smith's run (which I don't recommend but some people seemed to like it), you definitely need to brush up on Frank Miller before hand.
    Expletive Deleted

Futurist Detective TonyStark1012's Avatar

You don't have to, but I would read it just for the sheer brilliance of the story.
    "That's not just "one man"! That's TONY FREAKING STARK. You're intel should've warned us that he was James Bond and "Q" wrapped in the same guy!" Cobra

No it sucks.
    Kidding. Yes you should read it. In fact, you should read all of Miller's stuf before Bendis because (a) it comes before him (b) he touches on some of the stuff, like the Hand and (c) it just kicks ass.

Not necessary. Bendis run is just perfect, you need no primer. I would recommend Guardian Devil by Kevin Smith just for the Joe Q art alone.

Futurist Detective TonyStark1012's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    No it sucks.
    Kidding. Yes you should read it. In fact, you should read all of Miller's stuf before Bendis because (a) it comes before him (b) he touches on some of the stuff, like the Hand and (c) it just kicks ass.
    Well said good sir!
    "That's not just "one man"! That's TONY FREAKING STARK. You're intel should've warned us that he was James Bond and "Q" wrapped in the same guy!" Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post
    You don't need to, but Born Again is a fairly quick read and pretty great in the bargain.

That said, if you're planning on reading Kevin Smith's run (which I don't recommend but some people seemed to like it), you definitely need to brush up on Frank Miller before hand.
    I'm not particularly interested in Smith's run...I read Miller's "The Man Without Fear" and based on what people have said, I'll read Born Again before starting the Bendis run, followed by the Brubaker stuff. Lots to look forward to.
    Weird heroes and mould-breaking champions exist as living proof to those who need it that the tyranny of 'the rat race' is not yet final. -HST-

Frank Miller run should be read in whole and Born Again is one of the most acclaimed,best superhero stories there is.

To really have a fondness, understanding of DD greatness you must read the creators who made him what he is today. Not only the decent runs that followed it.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

I enjoyed the Bendis run more than any other DD comic, but it is in fact better the more you're into the character's history. Born Again is probably the best other DD story you'll find, but it has little in the way of connection to the Bendis run plot-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Libaax View Post
    Frank Miller run should be read in whole and Born Again is one of the most acclaimed,best superhero stories there is.

To really have a fondness, understanding of DD greatness you must read the creators who made him what he is today. Not only the decent runs that followed it.
    Actually, take it a step further. To REALLY have an appreciation read some of the stuff before Miller. It was so bad, Marvel was publishing the book every other month (which we in the old days called "bi-monthly," but that term now seems to mean twice a month.)