Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I like it. Its a pretty solid book all round, but it does lack some wow factor. Having said that, its only had 3 issues...I'll stick with it for the first arc, then reassess

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    I got the zero issue and thought it was pretty good, then as I was reading the #1 issue, a few pages in I realized I just didn't care about what was happening at all, and I kind of glazed through the rest of the issue fully knowing I was going to drop it. Tynion (and Synder I guess) have tried their best to come up with a reason why this series should exist, but it doesn't really feel interesting enough to this reader. Calvin's "Alfred" figure doesn't appeal to me and I just don't really give a crap about his revenge mission. It's not a bad book, it's just an "I don't care" book.
    co-sign, the 0 issue was very good everything after that is MEH, nothing to write home about, but nothing to complaine either. Overall I give the good a C+.

It's okay, I'm dropping it soon
    Currently reading: Flash 227-Flashpoint

I'm still reading it and enjoying it very much. I like that it's a brand new character that doesn't have a lot of history, which means the writer can take the story anywhere. I'm finding books like Talon to be far more appealing and interesting to me than a lot of the more standard DC titles.
    Characters come and go, revamped and revisited. But as long as you enjoyed them, remember them and continue to appreciate them, then that character, your hero or heroine, will always exist.

I like the overall idea of the title. This idea of escaping from what you fear by confronting fear is a cool concept. Moreover, there is this scrappy, underdog quality to Calvin. While he has a Talon's abilities, he definitely is not the strongest, fiercest, or most agile. Escape artistry is not the most impressive of skills. I'd like to see how this guy handles against an all encompassing force like the Court.

Still, the dialogue and the art don't seem noteworthy to me. As others have said, this writer seems to ape Snyder's writing style. Moreover, the dialogue can seem a little simplistic. Additionally, the change in artists during these first issues has been jarring and there haven't been any action scenes that have wowed me.

I'll keep buying until the novelty of the core idea wears off.
    "I am a man of peace."
    "A man of peace who fights like ten tigers."

I didn't care to try it, though I'll check out the trade from the library when it comes out. I have enough traditional characters I want to follow and don't care about a new one, expecially one who is related to a crossover event I felt was over-hyped and not too, too great.
    Chill!

I don't mind the book, its better than Hawkman, or Green Arrow or even Catwoman lately. So its not the worst by any means. I'm a hoarder and subscribe to 44 of the new 52. So I will continue to buy it until they cancel it. But as others have mentioned the writing seems generic, and the character lacks depth. I get that he had a change of heart and rescued the woman and her kid. And then kidnapped her? And she fell in love with him? I would prefer if he is a bat family book that he eventually meet batman.

ive been reading it, its pretty decent. but with all the heists etc so far in so few issues it seems like this guy should be writing Catwoman, a higher profile gig and i bet hed probably do a good job.
    Books im reading: Black Widow, Loki Agent of Asgard, Catwoman, Green Arrow, Red Hood, JLD, Wonder Woman, Action Comics, Batman, Worlds Finest...

Quote Originally Posted by DrSimonHurt View Post
    I think its a good book, but the Talon hype has passed. If this book were somehow related to the Joker, it would be doing better...

I just think it's pretty weak that Talon got a book before several other established DC/Batman heroes. I can think of a dozen characters in Batman INC i'd rather see have their own book.

That said, it's actually a really good book. I just don't need to continue the Owl story, as a reader. No one believes Calvin Rose is going to dismantle a group that Bruce already got rid of(even if the linear notes tried to claim otherwise).
    Even Bruce knew that the court wasnt over by the end of his bout with t-wayne. But I think its plausible enough that in the aftermath of night of the owls that an ex talon who knows the organization from the inside would take then down in a way that batman couldn't. He just doesn't have the intel that Calvin is getting.

That aside though I like the comic well enough. The pacing is dragging a bit, but I'm excited to see where this goes. I'm hoping for a few more supporting characters eventually. Though the life of a talon is pretty solitary, so who knows..

BANNED

I guess my point is that I didn't just spend a year watching Bruce fight these guys so I can watch a new guy take them out.

Talon is better served as a backup story or a subplot in another book. It's a good book, but it's not convincing as a standalone story.

James is a good writer though. No complaints against him.

Like others I picked up #0, and it was a good book, but I just couldn't bring myself to care about Calvin or his mission enough to read monthly. I could see Tynion has talent though, and I'd rather see him on an existing book that could use a good writer.

Actually one of my favorite releases of that wave of books. I like Calvin and the conflict he has with his 'Alfred'. Definitely the more heroic of the two even if they both want the same thing. Love the artwork of course. Look forward to see where the book and character goes since I think he does have some staying power. I know there's a deep connection to the Court of Owls but they really seem like a group attempting to recover from a beat down and now this guy comes along hoping to completely take them out. So I expect Batman to join up if they ever get to that point but for me, I hope its a ways off as it looks like a fun run.

Find myself really enjoying Talon, more then some of DC's other titles. Definitely don't regret picking it up.