Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

I think its a good book, but the Talon hype has passed. If this book were somehow related to the Joker, it would be doing better...

I just think it's pretty weak that Talon got a book before several other established DC/Batman heroes. I can think of a dozen characters in Batman INC i'd rather see have their own book.

That said, it's actually a really good book. I just don't need to continue the Owl story, as a reader. No one believes Calvin Rose is going to dismantle a group that Bruce already got rid of(even if the linear notes tried to claim otherwise).

It's pretty decent.
    The two most powerful warriors are patience and time - Leo Tolstoy

I dropped it after 3 issues. The art is good, and it isn't that the book is bad, per se, just that it didn't do anything for me. Maybe I should have given it more time, but it just didn't feel like it was getting where I was interested.
    "That's the thing about the Phoenix. There always has to be destruction... Before rebirth. " - Scott Summers

I like it so far. Interested to see what happens when/if it ties into Gotham and the Bat-family.

I am reading it and liking it. A big appeal is that it is new character that does not have to be bogged down with a huge history...it can going anywhere and I like that.

Looked at the first issue some. The art looked amazing, but I just had my fill of the Owls story and I didn't feel like getting invested in it.

BANNED

I guess my problem with the book is concerning the story. If the Court are still out there in such a broad manner that Calvin can hunt them down, then Batman should be on the case. It makes Batman seem lazy and uncaring that his undead brother is part of a huge organization that's not that hard to track down, but Bruce is just ignoring it for no real reason at all.

If Calvin can find them, then Bruce should have already found them.

So it leaves the book existing in a pocket.

My Opinion > Your Opinion maxpower00044's Avatar

El Sombrero said it best. It's not a "bad" book, it's an "I don't care" book. I'll stick with it through the first arc and see if it becomes a "care" book.

I'm shocked how much I've been enjoying this title.

I figured I never wanted to see an owl again after the court of owls arc, but this book is expanding their mythology in an interesting way, and the book has such a fun adventurous tone. Anything could happen because these are original characters, and the author isn't simply safeguarding their existence.

I'm always for expanding the mythology on existing things in the DCU.
    Grandparents dead - please no jokes

make mine DC, thanks

Futurist Detective TonyStark1012's Avatar

I'm reading it and loving it. It's one of the books I look forward to every month. Love the character, writing and the art. I think he is a fresh new character and applaud DC for taking a chance on him. Looking forward to issue 3.
    "That's not just "one man"! That's TONY FREAKING STARK. You're intel should've warned us that he was James Bond and "Q" wrapped in the same guy!" Cobra

I haven't picked up anything past the #0 issue. I thought it was alright, and that seems to be the general consensus so far, not bad, but not great either. I suppose I'm the in minority in that I actually enjoyed Court of Owls, but #0 didn't hook me the way I was expecting & hoping it would. The fact that Bruce isn't going after the Court kinda puts me off, because he told Alfred & Dick that he was gonna find them & shut them down. Calvin's motives are understandable, and given his history with the Court, I think it's plausible enough for him to track & locate them easily whereas Bruce would maybe have to make a little more effort to do the same. A meeting between the two is as inevitable as death & taxes and part of me wonders if one purpose of this series is a set-up for a Bat/Owl rematch. It also begs the question, will we see the return of Lincoln March in the pages of Talon, or in Batman? Either way, I'll follow the reviews for the first arc & if I get a good enough impression, I'll go back & snag the full run when the current storyline concludes.

Quote Originally Posted by Officersmile1466 View Post
    they changed artists after two issues
    Huh? Are you sure about that? I didn't pick it up, but March is credited for the art not only in this issue, but through #6 as well (the most recent issue solicited).

I read #0 and #1, and while I enjoyed them, I really felt that I needed to cut back on my comic book spending. And there were other books I was more interested in than this one.

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    It's not a bad book, it's just an "I don't care" book.
    Yeah, I can relate to that too.
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

I think I would like the book more if it was more daring or experimental. The Owls are creepy and there is a lot of potential for weirdness, but the first two issues felt pretty straightforward and predictable, nothing too exciting IMO.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

Master of Time and Space Xarcon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    I got the zero issue and thought it was pretty good, then as I was reading the #1 issue, a few pages in I realized I just didn't care about what was happening at all, and I kind of glazed through the rest of the issue fully knowing I was going to drop it. Tynion (and Synder I guess) have tried their best to come up with a reason why this series should exist, but it doesn't really feel interesting enough to this reader. Calvin's "Alfred" figure doesn't appeal to me and I just don't really give a crap about his revenge mission. It's not a bad book, it's just an "I don't care" book.
    That's exactly what happened with me. I liked #0, but starting with #1, I just didn't care about it anymore. I just dropped it, and I don't think I'm going to miss it.
    I'm still waiting for a new Wonder Twins ongoing. Let's make it happen, DC.

BANNED

Enjoyable book overall. I really liked 0 but 1 and 2 were less good. It felt like Snyder had handed Tynion a ton of notes and Tynion didn't do much to naturally put them into the story and instead went intoan overdose of exposition. But the art is great and I like the story so I'll be sticking around.