Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    a rating does not indicate quality
    I never said anything about quality. There's a ton of bad R-rated flicks. Still, lots of them contain insane/awesome/badass material that you just won't find in your average PG-13 flick.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthCyclopsRLZ View Post
    I never said anything about quality. There's a ton of bad R-rated flicks. Still, lots of them contain insane/awesome/badass material that you just won't find in your average PG-13 flick.
    and I would say all of that is entirely subjective

and I have all the DH films on blu ray, and the unrated cut of Live Free or Die Hard isn't really all that different, minus a swear here and there
    Support your local roller derby league

and I have all the DH films on blu ray, and the unrated cut of Live Free or Die Hard isn't really all that different, minus a swear here and there
    How about the Big Bad? Historically, there's a pretty solid correlation between a villain's irredeemable awesomeness and a movie's rating. Keep in mind, I'm not even talking about action movies exclusively.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServoFan View Post
    Well finally a true DH fan comes to his senses
    So not everybody agreed with your boycott idea that doesn't mean they aren't a fan of the series. So drop the superior attitude.
    Last edited by Legato; 01-05-2013 at 10:04 AM.
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

How about the Big Bad? Historically, there's a pretty solid correlation between a villain's irredeemable awesomeness and a movie's rating. Keep in mind, I'm not even talking about action movies exclusively.
    Ive liked all the villains in the DH films, except for two because it was a group of guys....Olyphant plays a solid villain IMO

Elder Member

It does. R-rated is a frame of mind favoring balls-to-the-wall awesomeness.

Live Free felt and looked like it had been a chore to finish filming the damn thing. Old school R-rated flicks feel like everyone involved had the absolute time of their lives.
    That's wish-fulfillment projection at best, nonsense at worst. (A) A movie's rating has nothing to do with a "frame of mind." (B) You can't tell by looking at a movie how much the people involved enjoyed making it. (C) The quality of a movie has nothing to do with how much fun they had.

The market share for the kind of low tech/high testosterone 80s and early 90s action movies that Willis, Ah-nold, and Sly made a living off back in the day has been shrinking for a while now. Modern (read: mostly younger) audiences like a little more polish and gleam with their mayhem. Trying to broaden the audience for Die Hard is the only way the series had any chance of surviving.

The close-minded insular thinking of fandom is really something to behold. They'd rather the things they love court extinction than let uncool "outsiders" have a shot at enjoying them too.
    Last edited by kalorama; 01-05-2013 at 10:05 AM.

I think it was a ballsy choice to go with Jai Courtney as Jack McClane - outside of Spartacus, he's pretty much an unknown so he must have been really impressive in the casting process

I think it was a ballsy choice to go with Jai Courtney as Jack McClane - outside of Spartacus, he's pretty much an unknown so he must have been really impressive in the casting process
    Been hearing some good stuff about him in his role in Jack Reacher.
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    (A) A movie's rating has nothing to do with a "frame of mind."
    A rating is an actual restriction. Having to worry about pissing off the MPAA is kind of a big deal.

(B) You can't tell by looking at a movie how much the people involved enjoyed making it.
    Compare the original Total Recall to its remake. Not saying it works for every single flick out there, but there are directors' and actors' whose enthusiasm is glaringly obvious.

(C) The quality of a movie has nothing to do with how much fun they had.
    Fair enough. I did see the Conan remake, after all.

Modern (read: mostly younger) audiences like a little more polish and gleam with their mayhem. Trying to broaden the audience for Die Hard is the only way the series had any chance of surviving.
    Nobody's disputing that it was a smart business move. Everyone knows that PG-13 flicks make more money. Not only that, but Live Free's grosses were nothing to laugh at in their own right. Just saying the results weren't that amazing.
    Last edited by DarthCyclopsRLZ; 01-05-2013 at 10:42 AM.

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Courtney is 26/27 and will likely knows its a franchise role. Willis is only gonna make one more Die Hard film after this and its supposed to then have his son step in and take the franchise over.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Courtney is 26/27 and will likely knows its a franchise role. Willis is only gonna make one more Die Hard film after this and its supposed to then have his son step in and take the franchise over.
    I just bought the Blu Ray set with the first 4, now my shelf is going to be all out of whack with these new ones

dammit

#firstworldproblems

Ive liked all the villains in the DH films, except for two because it was a group of guys....Olyphant plays a solid villain IMO
    Stuart was the brains behind the whole scheme, while Grant and Esperanza just played their parts. The plan in the third film was dependent on Targo and Simon working together, which is why Targo kept arguing about toying with McClane. That was different from Hans and Karl, since the latter was just his lieutenant. Gabriel was clearly the boss like Hans and Mai was clearly the lieutenant, just like in the first film.

Elder Member

I thought Olyphant did an okay job. Everyone is going to come up short in comparison to Rickman in the first one.

Elder Member

I watched Live Free or Die Hard unrated, and honestly I don't think it was better than the PG 13 version. The jokes and timing were better, IMO. And it wasn't as if it was all child's talk, either.

"Last time I saw her, she had an SUV rammed up her ass." Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I watched Live Free or Die Hard unrated, and honestly I don't think it was better than the PG 13 version. The jokes and timing were better, IMO. And it wasn't as if it was all child's talk, either.

"Last time I saw her, she had an SUV rammed up her ass." Ha!
    "I bet you're on the other line with "1-800-can I get another dead Asian hooker over here"