Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Hating each other just makes them both look bad. There is value in the whole hero vs hero thing for specific stories (civil war or AvX), but if it's overdone it frankly hurts everyone in the long run.

Cooperation just makes sense, because ultimately everyone wants the same thing. There are potential downsides if it's not managed properly because it potentially drags everyone into the mutant stuff if it's taken the most logical conclusion, and it's very unlikely other books want to go there to that degree. Ultimately there's no perfect sollution. But right now they've got stories to tell involving both franchises. When and if they get to the point where they don't, then they can always simply opt not to.
    AvsX just proved why these two groups shouldn't be involved in each others lives. Hell the crossover in the event wrote both teams like total assholes and pretty much gave the fanbases a divide amongst themselves at how much they hate the idea of them being together is a horrible idea. Plus the X-men existence have brought nothing but crap for the Marvel U. since Dissembled just so they could be more related to each other when overall it just came off force. The two just don't belong together anymore.

I do think it would be interesting to see a world without any heroes except mutants.

Cept for the some alternate future issues i can't think of any.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonofspam View Post
    I do think it would be interesting to see a world without any heroes except mutants.

I think it would work too.

I similarly wish DC would do an isolated Batman comic that was based on the premise that there are no such things as metahumans.

I find it really difficult to accept his relevance in a world with heroes like Superman, and find his status as a peer with metahumans as absurd.
    "At the end of the day, it's all just storybook stuff" - Me

BANNED

Kinda like how gay dudes exclude whole groups of peoplefrom their dating pool or social circle because they are a different(and sometimes the same) race

Weird huh?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sonofspam View Post

It already happen it was called The Onslaught Event caused by an X-men problem.
    Now its only fair to have the X-men kicked out of the Marvel U.

Separating the X-men form the Avengers, FF, and so forth is a horrible idea.

That would require an entire reboot of the MU seeing as how they've intertwined too much(What do you do with the Maximoff tree and those related?)

Besides it makes perfect sense why the mutants are chided and the Avengers and the like weren't.

First off, there are holes in the double standard, by that I mean non-mutnats are hated as well like Spider-man and really there are many that would probably want to do away with the whole idea of super-heores.

As for the accepted groups, The Avengers showed up with Captain America, a trusting face well known face that people, and have since become sponsored defenders. The FF are celebrities with a public face and known exploits of their adventures.

Mutation is looked at as a disease where people that developed powers at random and probably caused a few accidents because of lacking ability to control them. This idea of them losing control or abusing their gifts along with cases that reenforced that notion have lead to hatred (not their faults, but people tend to lack understanding what can ya do?)

"What if they read my mind?" "What if they abuse their abilities?" "what if them having powers hurts me?"

Theres a "Not in my back yard" vibe to to mutant hate vs hate for the likes of iron Man.

Iron MAn protects your house from Kang the conquerer. The mutants might accidentally blow up your house.

Its not fair BY ANY MEANS,(thats par for the course with double standards) but it makes sense. Mutants are feared as the potentially destructive millions (they were in millions at one point right?) while the few non mutants prove their non destructiveness by being public protectors (the double standard making people not accept the X-men, but hey they hardly did for Web head too.)

Oh and then theres the dumb ass actions of those like the Brotherhood of evil mutants only spurring the thought of abuse of power form those that gain it. (seriously Magneto's a moron for gallivanting like that, its guys like him that made the need for Sentinels legitimate in the eyes of cool heads)

Theres no reason to split them up, especially when the universe has so many more opportunities when together.

Come to think of it haven't the Mutants made their mark in the cosmic line with the star Jammers? (I'm honestly quite ignorant about that) You can't keep the cosmic line bound to one or another universe or split continuity.
    Steve Rogers: You ready to follow Captain America into the jaws of death?
    James Barnes: Hell, no! The little guy from Brooklyn who was too dumb not to run away from a fight. I'm following him."

X-Men can fit in the Marvel Universe... but editorial either needs to change the MU public's status status quo and make all super beings feared/hated or have mutants be accepted as just another origin. Not to mention that if/when non-mutant super people have kids in this kind of fictional universe, those kids often end up with powers themselves and ta-da, more mutants

I also think they need to stop branding themselves with the "X" and just have individual costumes

Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    If they really want to keep up the emo-tastic "feared and hated" BS, they need to establish an in story reason. Generic bias towards super powered people just reads as stupid.

If they decided to establish a like between the X-gene and an innate disposition toward evil, it would go a long way. Have it be a shared sequence with demons or something, with definitive markers that could distinguish a mutant from any other super person (like "666" on thier forehead or something). Anything less is more than a little ridiculous.
    Can you think of any instance in history where the idiocy of bigots made sense?
    Pain shared is divided, joy shared is multiplied

This was not an issue when there was tighter editorial control in the Marvel line.
    Or even when Clairmont was writing the Xmen.

He used to reference the outside Marvel Universe ALL the time. The Xmen fought Arkon (an Avengers foe).

Jean Grey hung out with Colleen Wing and Misty Knight from the Power Man/Iron Fist book. Professor X used to call on
    Dr. Strange for help. Spider Man used to show up every now and again.

It wasn't until Clairmont left that the Xbooks became ridiculously insular.

The difference in the public's attitudes toward Metas and Mutants was easily explained by the fact that for most of the Xmens history they were a clandestine group. The most vocal Mutant in the silver age was Magneto.

The FF and the Avengers were P.R. savvy from the very start. It helped that both Iron Man/Stark and Reed Richards had strong government ties.

If the most visible member of the Meta community was the Silver Age Hulk, Metas would have had an image problem as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mikekerrIII View Post
    a great point
    Black History Month & 29 Days in February

I think explaining it as a phermone issue would be a cool idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanofthegoblins View Post
    I've seen the 90's X-men series. So let me get this straight, mutants are an abomination to most of the humans on earth, but non-mutants like the Fantastic Four, She-Hulk, and Captain America are A-OK in their book....WTH? The FF4 get to have their own building. They don't have to worry about angry mobs with pitch forks, signs, and torches standiing outside their building.

Apparently, if you are born with super powers, you are hated, but if you get your powers from space or a spider, you are cool.

edit - It's funny if you think about it. It's like if a racist refuse to let people of another race in his house, but will let Shaq and Eddie Murphy in because they are famous.

Well, not all true

Avengers went through the same with people protesting in front of the mansion several times. Many people do not like Thor because of religious reasons, for example.

In FF the same thing happened a few times.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mikekerrIII View Post
    Of course there is. Bigotry doesn't just spring out of nowhere, it's propagated by people who want to maintain their economic and political power. After all, you couldn't exactly maintain the rigid order needed for a plantation economy if the landowners saw the slaves working the fields as their equals. But what exactly do the people in the MU stand to gain from persecuting mutants?

Hating mutants specifically over other heroes never made much sense to me personally. Especially since at this point, like every hero can pass on their abilities to their children. Whether it's being born with the ability to shoot lightning out of your ass or their father being a super genius with incredible technologically advanced weapons that they stumble across and use.

Going gaga for Thor, who comes from an entirely different race of superior life forms not to mention the religious conflict, and hating Rogue makes absolutely no sense.

Comic Book Fanatic!!! Memphis Raines's Avatar

This topic is like a dead horse.......