Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I would say 70% of Gothamites and 95% of criminals believe he exist. But they don't believe on all his abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    The thing I never got was the batsignal shining during that period where he was a myth to Gotham.
    To perpetuate the myth, as conspiracy theorists might suggest.
    Google is your friend. Have a question? Look it up. ∙ BlogSequential Salon

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke View Post

1. I love the hell out of that answer - having made a study of Victorian England (with a focus on the motivations of the Ripper) I can tell you that for a lot of people, Jack the Ripper (whose name was actually coined by a newspaperman called Thomas Bulling who worked for the Central News Agency) was just a myth made up to scare people into either seeking protection from groups like the Nichols gang (a group of thugs who offered protection but were almost worse than the killer himself) or to buy newspapers put out by the Central News Agency.
    I'm a Ripper enthusiast as well as a Batman fan and am well familiar with what you say here. I'd just like to point out that it is an unproven theory, one of the many that make up the Ripper case, which will never be solved once and for all. Victorian London could have used someone like the Batman. (Hmmm, "Gotham by Gaslight" anyone?)

Quote Originally Posted by Kensei View Post
    I'm a Ripper enthusiast as well as a Batman fan and am well familiar with what you say here. I'd just like to point out that it is an unproven theory, one of the many that make up the Ripper case, which will never be solved once and for all. Victorian London could have used someone like the Batman. (Hmmm, "Gotham by Gaslight" anyone?)
    Very possible, as though The Ripper was apparently never caught, the crimes in London did stop, so moving to Gotham is plausible. Maybe it would be best if he died somehow, without it being revealed who he is, as that is still controversial to this day.
    Last edited by Bluebow; 01-01-2013 at 11:21 AM.

Keep in mind that a lot of writers write stories in a version of Gotham that doesn't really have a Justice League. It's never explicitly ruled out, but can be inferred, based on the setting, theme, and behavior of the characters.

And for those who insist on absolute continuity, these stories still "fit" in continuity as if there's a Justice League, so this aspect of the Batman storytelling is never really discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Moon View Post
    If he weren't part of the JL, then maybe, but since JL is so public from TV to internet to everything, there's no way for that to be viable pass conspiracy theorists, half of whom don't really believe, just like the idea (just like most in our world). But even without the JL, there would be a limit after such a prolonged amount of time.

Back in the day (the day being 5-10 years ago), DC always claimed Batman never appeared in any JLA publicity materials or press conferences. Yes, he was on the team, but they never admitted he was there. Hence, he could be a member of the League but still be a mythological being in Gotham.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

If believing in Batman is like believing in Santa Claus, that is another naughty list you don't want to be on.

Quote Originally Posted by DonC View Post
    Back in the day (the day being 5-10 years ago), DC always claimed Batman never appeared in any JLA publicity materials or press conferences. Yes, he was on the team, but they never admitted he was there. Hence, he could be a member of the League but still be a mythological being in Gotham.
    In the new 52 though, he appeared along with the other heroes at a felicitation ceremony at the White House, in full view of the press.

As far as Batman being an urban myth goes, it also depends a lot on the writer's interpretation of the Batman mythos, and of Batman's mission. In some continuities, Batman wishes to be an urban myth as it allows him to keep to the shadows, striking only when necessary...with rumors perpetuating about him that exaggerate his skills to supernatural levels. He extends his aura of fear by being unknown, since fear of the unknown is one of the most potent fears of all. It also keeps the authorities at bay since most of them would consider 'the Batman' to be a gangland myth.

On the other hand, in some continuities, like the Nolanverse, Batman WANTS his existence to be known to the public as he is a symbol for justice. He WANTS people to know that he's out there, protecting the city; he WANTS criminals to know for sure what awaits them in the night. He WANTS his actions to attract the attention of the media and thus highlight the gradual destruction of Gotham's criminal infrastructure.

Quote Originally Posted by andthegunslinger View Post
    I'm reading through Gotham Central and a character is discussing how she and many other Gothamites do not/did not believe the Batman really existed.

Is this view shared throughout Gotham? The newspapers seem convinced he exists, the criminals appear convinced. Or is it a case of not believing until you see him?
    In the old DCU, Batman was technically an "urban legend" until the events of War Games happened (when he was photographed and put on the front pages rescuing kids during the siege at Tim's school). I think Gotham Central started before War Games, and had a crossover into it in the middle somewhere?
    ಠ_ಠ

Ah that makes sense, and I imagine after Inc that EVERYBODY knew the Batman existed.

Ah that makes sense, and I imagine after Inc that EVERYBODY knew the Batman existed.
    I repeat, there's people in THIS universe that still do not believe the moon landing, that they saw on tv, happened. Or that the president is an American...

There's no accounting for basic stupidity. There's always going to be people that are going to be even more convinced that Batman isn't real after he's been on the front page and after he started the very public Batman Inc.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Interestingly, there was a mention of that theory in Burton's 'Batman'...when the reporter Alexander Knox sarcastically asks a cop if the 'Batman' was on the police payroll...

Won 6 Awesome Awards, 2Cool awards, 2 internets, a Raging storm and funniest video award
    My RPG Site!

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    I repeat, there's people in THIS universe that still do not believe the moon landing, that they saw on tv, happened. Or that the president is an American...

There's no accounting for basic stupidity. There's always going to be people that are going to be even more convinced that Batman isn't real after he's been on the front page and after he started the very public Batman Inc.
    I don't really buy this in relation to the particular character I rws. Perhaps it's just Brubaker's interpretation and it isn't gospel it and doesn't need to be read into too much. And perhaps your point does have resonance in a grander scheme of Gotham but the character saying this appeared very intelligent and was at least college educated (sure, that doesn't mean a lot).

https://dcomixologyssl.sslcs.cdngc.n...fbd2e40d45bedf
    Last edited by andthegunslinger; 01-02-2013 at 08:12 AM.

I don't really buy this in relation to the particular character I rws. Perhaps it's just Brubaker's interpretation and it isn't gospel it and doesn't need to be read into too much. And perhaps your point does have resonance in a grander scheme of Gotham but the character saying this appeared very intelligent and was at least college educated (sure, that doesn't mean a lot).

https://dcomixologyssl.sslcs.cdngc.n...fbd2e40d45bedf
    In the context of that comic, I don't think Batman had been "on the front page," and Wayne's announcement about Batman INC was still years away.

It's not gospel, but then again, there's no such thing when it comes to comicbook continuities.

I'll take Ed Brubaker's word before on it befoere I take Dan DiDio's.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."