Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I was completely underwhelmed by BD. GL was enjoyable, even if it did take up a number of issues of Power Girl, (which likely aren't in the trade for GL since they were peripheral), who wound up having no real important role in the series beyond what she'd already done by that time, save for one issue where she fights Booster and company, (yeah, I know, cliche, but still well executed and fun).

There was maybe a sense that it could do with a bit of tightening up, in plotting terms, but then again it was more about the characters themselves than the story.
    Try my Blog!

And visit me on Facebook here!

I enjoyed GL but personally the story threads that didn't carry over to the nu52 soured me on what I had previously enjoyed, and annoyed me that my money was wasted in a story I invested in. I can't recommend it for that reason, put that's more personal.
    BAD TOUCHSCREEN TYPER

BANNED

Nevermind..

I saw Brightest Day as a singular effort to undo all the most terrible character deaths DC has ever done, plus do the best hero resurrection ever (Deadman, of course. The resurrection of the man is the death of the hero. Awesome.). But too much to do with the white lantern felt horribly contrived.

"You must throw the boomerang."

"You must catch the boomerang."

What! Why?

It's nice to have all those characters back, but given that shortly after the whole universe was rearranged in a time paradox, it all seems pretty unnecessary now. That's right, a goddamn time paradox seems more elegant and less contrived than the white lantern.

Generation Lost is the better series. Better writing, better plot, better action, better villain, and most of all, it still feels relevant, even in the wake of the disastrous DCnU JLI series.
    Same Day: Batgirl, Supergirl, WW, DemonK, JLD, Dial H, Earth 2, SoS
    Maybe Later: Action, GL, Aqua, DCUP, Titans, Firestorm, Animal, Swampy, Batwoman, Worlds F, JL, Flash, PhantomS, BoP, GL: NG

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Famousringo View Post
    But too much to do with the white lantern felt horribly contrived.

"You must throw the boomerang."

"You must catch the boomerang."

What! Why?
    The throw part made sense. It made Boston Brand sacrifice himself.
    The catch part, not really. Hawk didn't even catch it and nothing happened. If he had succeded, Boomerang would be punched and arrested, but nothing else would happen to him either and Boston would stay alive.

The problem I had with BD was the very meh dues ex machina of resurrecting random people. It would've been nice if it was actually contained, but people were brought back for silly reasons. There missions were kinda pointless to me, though one of them was Maxwell Lord, and without him then Generation Lost might not have came out, and that was a good series.

i thought brightest day was very boring and generation lost highly enjoyable.
    SPACE FOR RENT!

Read. Justice. League. Generation. Lost.
    _______
    |____.._|
    _(_O_)_
    |______|

Rulk needs his moustache! ResIpsaLoquitur's Avatar

I liked the Ivan Reis artwork in Brighest Day. The other artwork was...very incompatible with Reis' stuff. I can't recall who drew what, but the Martian Manhunter sequences were a bit rubbery-looking, and the Firestorm sequences used what appeared to be a lot of computer-generated artwork which looked very artificial to me.

On the Martian Manhunter front, I had a problem with the introduction of yet another evil Martian. To my knowledge, J'onn's evil brother Malefak was still in continuity (and I'm pretty sure there were other green Martians out there in DC history), so J'onn's reaction felt a little too fresh for something that I'm positive happened at least once before.

The story's direction changed a few times, suggesting to me that Johns and Tomasi didn't quite have a clear A to Z map when writing it. The biggest example I can think of was the buildup to the "return of the Black Lanterns" when each of the resurrected had their evil twin come back. Go check out that scene--they're clearly instructed to track down their living counterparts and stop their missions. Instead, they zip off to Qward soon after and really don't do anything. BL Firestorm continued to be a problem, but the others were window dressing.

There's a few unresolved plotlines. A big unanswered hole was that the White Lantern takes "something" from the Anti-Monitor. We never find out what that is--Johns may be reserving it for something in the future, but it's a weird element of the story. Likewise, the White Lantern's overall plot with, well, everything is a bit unresolved. When the final issue came out, a bunch of people here on the boards put everything together in something of a logical fashion, but I felt like it wasn't clearly spelled out in the story unless you do some heavy lifting with your brain. (I.e., why did the lantern bring Professor Zoom back? Why was throwing the boomerang so important?)

Lastly, the quick imposition of the New 52 really screws up your enjoyment of the story's end. The book ends with a prelude of things to come (I'll try to keep this spoiler-free ish): Isis has a future role to play; Firestorm has trouble ahead; Hawkman is left looking for something. As far as I know, the New 52 will never deal with these things, as they either haven't happened or else are no longer important. The oddest one was the new Aqualad: Garth was killed, replaced by this new kid (who was apparently introduced so the comic could match the Young Justice TV show)...who hasn't shown up yet in Nu52 and may no longer exist.

So, overall: not a bad story, but it holds a very weird place as an incomplete-ish story that was derailed by the reboot.
    "Well, last night's episode was a very special episode. They revealed that the Incredible Hulk has an evil twin. And he's not green. He's red."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
    why did the lantern bring Professor Zoom back?
    To ressurect Barry Allen so that he could help stop Darkseid on Final Crisis.

I liked Brightest Day, but loved JL Generation Lost, as I was a big fan of the JLI. Would have liked to seen the ongoing that would have come out had New 52 not happened as I think it could have made the characters come back into prominence in the DC universe

Quote Originally Posted by [Trigger] View Post
    Read. Justice. League. Generation. Lost.
    But. Ignore. Ice. Retcon.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

I enjoyed some of the individual stories in Brightest Day with Dove/Deadman, Aquaman and Firestorm. But, the ending left quite a bit to be desired.
    Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Constantine, Earth-2, Suicide Squad, Phantom Stranger, Forever Evil, Rogues Rebellion, Arkham War, ARGUS, Iron Man & Unity. Trades: Saga, East of West & Lazarus.

Has anyone ever said what the title Generation Lost was supposed to mean? From the promotional stuff before and during the series, they kept saying that by the end the title would make sense, but it didn't to me. I've asked before, but no one seems to know.
    One lab accident away from being a super-villain

BANNED

Read JLGL the other day. Pretty good story. I enjoyed it.

Will start BD this weekend.