Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

This is my favorite comic series ever and it's only two issues old.

This is really wonderful stuff.

I enjoyed this issue as well, though I'll reserve complete judgement until I've got all three issues in front of me.

I was fascinated by the idea that people are starting to undergo physical changes/mutations but are still essentially 'human'. You had the train hobo with the gnarly mushroom arm, you had the kid whose arm was changing in this story and finally you had the man or woman whose almost completely transformed into something else (the red creature under the cloak and hat). Yet each one of them still retained their sentience - unlike the monsters we've seen before (the frogs etc). Hopefully this plot point is something that will be further developed; and considering the next story is called "The New Race of Man" I suspect it will. Will they be mistreated for their appearance? Hunted? Rounded up? Will Abe meet others similar to him on the road?.

Loved the art.

One bit of confusion - is this set post-Chicago mission?

Yes, it is.

Man, I loved this issue!

The last one dragged a bit but this was what I was hoping for in a first issue. It summed up Abe's story for new readers, summarized the whole hell on Earth concept but still managed to have real forward progression plotwise and had some great characterization of Abe.

I loved that last panel, who knew such a simple face as Abe's could convey such emotion? Beautiful.

I think this issue is the best thing Scott Allie has written so far. It was great and I loved it. Well done Scott.
    Last edited by Ollie; 05-04-2013 at 07:00 AM.

I love the pure, small-scale personal horror focus Allie has brought into the books he's written. The grander scale of the apocalypse as seen in BPRD in general is a lot of fun to read, but I missed the low-key touch of horror vignettes like Pickens County and now Dark and Terrible. So far it looks like Abe Sapien will fill that niche for these comics, and I'm excited to see how things on the ground will develop from here.

Quote Originally Posted by cantide View Post
    I love the pure, small-scale personal horror focus Allie has brought into the books he's written. The grander scale of the apocalypse as seen in BPRD in general is a lot of fun to read, but I missed the low-key touch of horror vignettes like Pickens County and now Dark and Terrible. So far it looks like Abe Sapien will fill that niche for these comics, and I'm excited to see how things on the ground will develop from here.
    Agreed. It's also nice to see the BPRD grunts close up, who can often be eclipsed by some of the more fantastical characters in the main series.

Have to agree with everyone here; I really enjoyed this issue and I think it's only going to get better.
    I'm very sorry to be so late, Katherine.
    The weather is terrible.

This issue was just incredible. Sebastian's art keeps topping itself, those action sequences were amazing, and lots of worrying, foreboding details revealed...

spoilers:
    Holy crap, how strong is Abe now??
    end of spoilers

I don't agree at all with the Mignolaversity guys that this arc was unnecessary. It may not have explicitly advanced Abe's character, but there's no way what he learned and what happened isn't going to affect him going forward. I have no doubt he's going to carry this with him. This arc gave a lot of worrying predictions for Abe, established his preference for pacifism and his ability to kick some serious ass if needed, showed that anyone can become a monster at any moment, fully severed his connection to the BPRD, and set him off on his own journey, as well as planted the seeds for what looks like multiple stories to come. Not to mention the fact that when he stepped up, he stepped up, pulling some crazy fight maneuvers I can really only see Hellboy matching.

I was thrilled by Dark and Terrible for the great art, interesting setting, and the welcome return of Abe Sapien as an active, ass-kicking character, and though we didn't see him having any enormous personal revelations... it's the first book of many! Plenty of time for that in the future.

spoilers:
    Though I really hoped Vaughn would last longer than he did...
    end of spoilers

Yeah, they were definitely off base on their take on the first arc. Though I felt the first issue was a bit of an information dump the second and third issues were fantastic, with the second being a near perfect comic in my mind.

What I really enjoyed about this issue though was the way it seamlessly mixed action, foreshadowing and bridging the gap to the past. The transitions between those elements was fantastic with the seeds for further developments leaving you anxious for more issues, the ties to the past leaving you with a nostalgic smile and the action just leaving you with your jaw on your lap.

I mean really, that fight between Abe and the giant monster was fantastic. That one panel where Abe was clutching that monolithic chunk of building over his head though was the best of the lot, you really felt the weight of it and the power of Abe really shined. It was like seeing Christopher Reeve in the Superman suit for the first time, it just made you buzz all over. It's that electric feeling that truly makes comic reading fun, very few comics give you that feeling but the ones that do? Boy, do they make it all worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by cantide View Post
    Not to mention the fact that when he stepped up, he stepped up, pulling some crazy fight maneuvers I can really only see Hellboy matching.
    Yeah, that was really fun to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Yeah, they were definitely off base on their take on the first arc. Though I felt the first issue was a bit of an information dump the second and third issues were fantastic, with the second being a near perfect comic in my mind.

What I really enjoyed about this issue though was the way it seamlessly mixed action, foreshadowing and bridging the gap to the past. The transitions between those elements was fantastic with the seeds for further developments leaving you anxious for more issues, the ties to the past leaving you with a nostalgic smile and the action just leaving you with your jaw on your lap.
    I felt the comic had to be the length it was. There was so much to introduce. Any shorter and it would've felt crammed full of info-dumps. I think it's a good idea with first arcs to focus on atmosphere first. And this did that. This is a hard one for me to evaluate critically though, because I know what follows. I will say, some moments, I was grinning to see the set-ups falling into place.

In March, that Abe Sapien month, the team at Mignolaversity got previews so far ahead (Usually we get previews a week ahead of the release, so this was really unusual). What's nice for me is you guys have almost caught up. I'll finally be able to talk about those stories, and I can't wait.
    Last edited by Middenway; 06-05-2013 at 08:23 PM.

You poor, long-suffering soul

Indeed. You cannot comprehend the magnitude of my suffering. It is a burden I have to bear alone. *Goes back to reading Abe Sapien #4, sighing loudly and sadly*

(I haven't actually read Abe Sapien #4, by the way. I'm not allowed to say what I have read)
    Last edited by Middenway; 06-05-2013 at 09:33 PM.