Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Tindall View Post
    I really don't like that this is becoming a regular thing.

It's bad enough that most comics don't show what's going on in the actual books, but showing scenes that will never be otherwise published? It almost feels like a lack of confidence in the stories themselves. "The monsters in this story are O.K. but look at this guy, WHOA!"

And putting Hellboy on the cover of a book where he doesn't appear... I can't be the only one thinking that's misleading.
    My guess is that it'll just be for the first five issues.

Personally, I'm not a fan of variants for the sake of variants. I just don't see the point. This sort of marketing is clearly not aimed at someone like myself. I can see what they're doing, reminding the world who Abe Sapien was before he changed and celebrating that over the issues that will eventually become the first trade. I just don't think variants are the best way to do it... though I suppose they are the best way to cash in on it.

I think my biggest problem with variants is just that they seem (at least by my estimation) solely made to appeal to collectors. It's not motivated by story or character. It's simply to appeal to the people out there that will by two issues of the same comic so that they have both. And to me that's one the things that's really wrong with the comics industry in America. The selling point of the comic should be great writing, great art, and a well-made book to showcase them (this is of course very idealistic, I know).

It'd be nice if these variant covers were just put on the back cover of the regular issue. That way it's still celebrating Abe's career in the B.P.R.D. without exploiting anyone's collecting tendencies, and everyone that buys the book can enjoy it. But I respect the spirit of these covers. It is about fun and celebrating Abe, and that's a good thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kees_L View Post
    Well, any of the regular editions are still gonna be the regular ones, aren't they?
    So my guess is there would be very little chance of anyone ending up with a variant when they wouldn't want to?
    That's true, especially here where variants automatically cost at least $10.
    Plus I like how mainly any covers both as any variant cover images get reprinted into the trades.
    So I don't think these variants as harmful to my own particular interests or reading pleasure.
    I really like that Dark Horse does that. It's really cool.
    As such these variants wouldn't be misleading, since who'd be to purchase them would know about them being variants, by means of price difference or because they'd get sold as being "variants" quite specifically I'd trust?
    Yeah, as long as people know what they're buying, I don't see a problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    There are some new pages/panels in this link that I haven't seen before, so if you would consider that a spoiler, avoid reading!

That was a great interview! It's really interesting to see what their take on the scope and the goal of his story is. It's definitely in capable hands, and everything I hear about it just makes me more excited to read it. Fiumara's art is really distinctive in what we've seen of it, and I love the tone it sets when juxtaposed with those colors. And what a striking shot of Abe's face, wow. His new design is just great in this--I thought I'd have trouble connecting with his character due to the changes, but I can see that won't be the case. So curious to see what else is going to happen to him physically...

I think I might have to stop reading interviews and promos for it though, and maybe for BPRD and Hellboy too. These pieces are edging dangerously close to being spoiler material for me. Even vague ominous foreshadowing might be enough to figure something out ahead of time, and I want to be surprised again--just like I was with RotM #5. Still reeling about that one, by the way...

April needs to hurry up and get here.

Default Issue 2 cover

Last edited by Middenway; 02-08-2013 at 07:27 AM.

That cover is amazing.

Really starting to love this design, too...

Default Move out of Phoenix. Hell is coming to town.

In issues #6-7 of new Abe Sapien storyline, Phoenix is going to be facing some Hell:
    Scott Allie:
    Looking out the windows at the landscape gives me a clearer view of what we're gonna do to Phoenix in Abe #6 & 7. It's the perfect place for what we're doing.

Man, that's so awesome.

I can't wait to see the fishman again.

Jason Latour offers a teasing glimpse of something he's working on:

Default Abe Sapien an ongoing series

As you can see from the number 1 on the cover, Abe Sapien is now an ongoing series just like B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth and Hellboy in Hell.

Also, you can see inked covers and other works on Sebastian Fiumara's Facebook page. It's a dedicated art page, not a personal page.
    Last edited by Middenway; 03-01-2013 at 09:57 AM.

This news about this series is pretty new to me and much needed. BPRD has been lacking the great character Abe is. Devon,Phoenix and co cant fill the fishman's role as regular character in BPRD. Im glad to see he got his own series.

Im behind Hellboy and only read BPRD so far so i need something like this to read. The other minis, 1940s series isnt something you can follow every month.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

Default Issue 3

The BPRD crew is running out of cities to trash. At this rate, we'll be seeing the end of the world in a few years.

Here's a preview of the first issue, though I think it'd be better to wait to read the whole thing when it comes out.

Well, from the preview it seems the military hasn't collapsed which is good news. Sounds like a number of air bases are still active as well.

Also, way to go Kate giving the smack down on Devon like that.

I don't really think that Devon deserved that flack but I can understand that her of all people is under a tremendous amount of stress, especially since it seems they're kinda getting usurped in by another organization when it comes to world saving and getting their funding cut AND having her brand new looking but old friend Abe mysteriously missing. Still, that little Fenix crack was kind of a bitch move.