Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Capullo View Post
    And, I want say one last thing. A lot of what you've said of me couldn't be further from the truth. Am I the ONLY MF who has makes mistakes in life? You're all so fast to pick up stones.
    Comic fans make Gossip Girl look like a nun who's taken a vow of silence. My advice: do not engage. Just keep producing those amazing Batman pencils.
    “Wonder Woman is a lame superhero...She flies around in her invisible jet and her weaponry is a lasso that makes you tell the truth. I just don’t get it.” -- Megan Fox

And in response to the actual article here, SO stoked Prophet made it, not only into the top 10, but the top 5. Up until now I have really felt like that was the most underrated title of the year. I know its heavy Sci-fi and can be a tough read but it is just so interesting and challenges a lot of comic book conventions in terms of story telling and world building. I absolutely love that book. It actually would be my number one for the year, but I know it just doesn't have the mass appeal to get there. I am really shocked to see it make the list at all, and for anyone who read my post on the last segment of the list, I stand corrected.

Also, Saga really did deserve the number one spot in all reality. Not only is it a phenomenally well written and gorgeous book, but it is really the only book this year that I saw cross barriers throughout the industry. I have 'super hero' only friends who now read Saga religiously. Same for Walking Dead only readers. And in turn it has gotten those readers to look at more books and actually start considering branching out. And for that reason alone, it deserves this kind of recognition.

Default Hellblazer???

I'm floored that Milligan's Hellblazer is anywhere on this list, as it has been HORRIBLE. He has no grasp whatsoever of John's character or history, his plots are lazy, his new characters are boring, he has misused all of the recurring characters he's brought into his stories (particularly Gemma) and he rarely ever finishes what he starts. For many fans, Milligan's run is the WORST to date. At the Voices From Beyond site, which represents the Web's most active Hellblazer fan forum, his run is almost universally reviled. I mean no disrespect to Karl Keily, but I cannot imagine how he can possibly say Milligan's run was the best; it makes me wonder if he's read any of the prior writers, given how poorly Milligan's work has fared compared to theirs. As far as I'm concerned, Hellblazer ended when Diggle left, as that was the last time John Constantine was recognizable, either writing- or art-wise, as John Constantine.

Saga
    Hawkeye
    Prophet (first ish)
    Daredevil
    Uncanny X-Force
    Hellblazer
    Fatale
    Animal Man & Swamp Thing: Rotworld
    Mind The Gap
    Wonder Woman
    Revival
    Batwoman
    Dial H
    The Punisher & Punisher War Zone
    Journey Into Mystery
    Glory (first ish)
    FF
    Wolverine & The X-Men
    Harbinger

I read these. Def some stuff I'll pick up on this list like Underwater Welder.
    The Circumstances at the End

Top 10: Astro City, Captain America, East of West, Hawkeye, Lazarus, New Avengers, Saga, Thor: God of Thunder, Wonder Woman, Zero

I used to agonize and debate on the placement of the titles throughout the whole top 100, but am getting old and lazy and just don't see it as that important anymore. As long as the titles I think are worthy get mention, that usually satisfies me.

That being said, allow me to pick a nit. Journey Into Mystery was, a year or two ago, one of the "exciting new titles" coming out of Marvel at the time, right up there with Waid's Daredevil and Remender's UXF. I used to laud all three of them whenever I had the opportunity. And while DD and UXF seemed to pick up the needed speed and rocket to the "top of the pack", so to speak, JIM just seems to have been left behind. I mean, it has placed respectfully, and I don't recall many critics have much bad to say about it, but to me it is easily the equal of Remender's and Waid's work.

I mean, was it just me or were other people totally blown away by Gillen's work on that title? In many ways, it was Gaimen better than Gaimen's been in years. Not sure why a small, out-of-the-mainstream (for Marvel) title like UXF got traction whereas JIM didn't. In any event, I hope Marvel keeps throwing nurturing their "smaller" books like this. When done well, as it was in UXF and JIM, it can really generate a lot of excitement and vault some long-deserving writers into bigger and better things.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Capullo View Post
    Wow! DO you have this ALL wrong. I mean, like not one fact straight. Too much here to even try correcting. To everyone, disregard. I'd hate to have you report anything to Police. Sheesh
    Sent you an apology via PM. :)

Daredevil was a ton better with Bendis and Brubaker writing, I think the Waid run gets most of its praise because of the simple, animated-style art and basic stories. Highly, highly overrated.

Walking Dead deserved a much higher ranking. It's best year of stories in forever.

Wolverine and the X-Men is ranked criminally low.
    Last edited by AstonishingXMan; 01-03-2013 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AstonishingXMan View Post
    Daredevil was a ton better with Bendis and Brubaker writing, I think the Waid run gets most of its praise because of the simple, animated-style art and basic stories. Highly, highly overrated.

Wolverine and the X-Men is ranked criminally low.
    True on both of these counts. You figure some Jason Aaron Scalped love would pass over to rank Wolverine and the X-Men higher.

I thought that Amazing Spider-Man would have been ranked in at least the Top 50 of this year list.
    Pull List:New Avengers,Thor,Superior Spider-Man,Mighty Avengers,Swamp Thing,Daredevil,Uncanny Avengers,Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

After reading this month's issue of Mind MGMT, and reflecting how strong the entire run has been, I checked back with the 2012 rankings. I was utterly floored by the number of titles ranked ahead of it that don't stand up in a head to head challenge. I am not saying this to be whiny, and I realize everyone's tastes are different, but Mind MGMT is such a complex story that gets better with every re-read.

I would personally take it over any of the following books:
    Daredevil
    The Manhattan Projects
    Uncanny X-Force
    Avatar The Last Airbender - The Promise
    Mind The Gap
    The Unwritten
    League of Extraordinary Gentlmen, Century: 2009
    Rachel Rising
    Wonder Woman
    Locke & Key
    Ultimate Spider-Man/Spider-Men
    The Boys
    Batwoman
    The Zaucer of Zilk
    Dial H
    Thief of Thieves
    Love & Rockets: New Stories
    Jennifer Blood
    Blade of The Immortal

But that's why we have so many choices :) I'm glad we all can have different favorites and conversations can be multidirectional and nuanced because of that.

Oh, and I think that Snyder and Capullo's (Greg, you are my alltime FAVORITE pencils on Batman!!!) Batman is incredible, despite all the angst from haters. I anxiously await each new issue with the same intensity with which I await Mind MGMT and Saga, but I dropped Morrison's Batman, Inc from my pull list a couple issues back because I stopped enjoying it. The first few issues were a lot of fun and then...I just was not interested in his stories any more.