Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    Most of the new series are pretty clean entry points without long-time fan outrage.
    Do you think Superior Spider-Man falls into that category?
    Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thompson View Post
    Do you think Superior Spider-Man falls into that category?
    Not really. Hence the qualifier "most." The first issue of Uncanny Avengers definitely doesn't, but if you get past the "Xavier's dead" part, it kind of makes sense. You don't need to be a continuity nerd to realize the Avengers haven't done much to help mutants, or to understand why the Red Skull would want to kill them.
    Every week, I write about the science in comic books and what it says about our real world!
    Check it out, if you'd like!

Not really. Hence the qualifier "most." The first issue of Uncanny Avengers definitely doesn't, but if you get past the "Xavier's dead" part, it kind of makes sense. You don't need to be a continuity nerd to realize the Avengers haven't done much to help mutants, or to understand why the Red Skull would want to kill them.
    Remender's Captain America would make it pretty easy for a new reader to jump on board.

Remender's Captain America would make it pretty easy for a new reader to jump on board.
    As would Aaron's Thor. And Fraction's Hawkeye.
    Founder and member of the Spidey 500 Club: Class of 2013.

Come join the club!

If you have a passing familiarity with Professor X, it's also pretty clear why his brain in the hands of a supervillain is so dangerous.

I would say that Superior Spider-Man is a clean entry point. The hook spoilers:
    (supervillain possesses superhero's body)
    end of spoilers is easy to understand, and there's likely to be some new reader friendly exposition in the early issues, as spoilers:
    Doc Ock gets used to his new status.
    end of spoilers Although there is some long-time fan outrage.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post
    As would Aaron's Thor. And Fraction's Hawkeye.
    Haven't read either of those, but those are both writer's whose work I've enjoyed in the past.

Haven't read either of those, but those are both writer's whose work I've enjoyed in the past.
    Jim- drop everything your doing. I mean really drop it. Throw it out of the way if you have to and get your hands on Hawkeye and Thor. For two characters I've never cared one way or the other- I'm loving both these books.

Come join the club!

Jim- drop everything your doing. I mean really drop it. Throw it out of the way if you have to and get your hands on Hawkeye and Thor. For two characters I've never cared one way or the other- I'm loving both these books.
    LOL! I appreciate the thought, but I think I'll be fine for the moment. I may give them a bash the next time I'm at my LCS.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    If you have a passing familiarity with Professor X, it's also pretty clear why his brain in the hands of a supervillain is so dangerous.

I would say that Superior Spider-Man is a clean entry point. The hook spoilers:
    (supervillain possesses superhero's body)
    end of spoilers is easy to understand, and there's likely to be some new reader friendly exposition in the early issues, as spoilers:
    Doc Ock gets used to his new status.
    end of spoilers Although there is some long-time fan outrage.
    I couldn't disagree more on Superior being a clean entry point. I think it'd be confusing especially if you didn't know much about the book. If I picked up issue one I'd have a what the hell moment off the bat. I'd be expecting to see Peter as Peter Parker and I'd be very confused.

Come join the club!

LOL! I appreciate the thought, but I think I'll be fine for the moment. I may give them a bash the next time I'm at my LCS.
    You are really missing out. Especially on Fraction's Hawkeye. It is very good Jim. Probably one of the best Marvel books I've read in a few years, and I read Daredevil.

Come join the club!

I couldn't disagree more on Superior being a clean entry point. I think it'd be confusing especially if you didn't know much about the book. If I picked up issue one I'd have a what the hell moment off the bat. I'd be expecting to see Peter as Peter Parker and I'd be very confused.
    But you would immediately understand what is going on. And I think that's all that is required for a clean entry point. The how can be figured out later, with the purchase of a Dying Wish TPB.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Hawkguy is the best.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    But you would immediately understand what is going on. And I think that's all that is required for a clean entry point. The how can be figured out later, with the purchase of a Dying Wish TPB.
    See that doesn't sound like a good jumping on point. You just contradicted yourself. For it to be a good jumping on point I shouldn't have to go back and read anything.

A good example are Thor and Hawkeye. I haven't read an Avengers book in over a year. I dropped New Avengers right at AvsX was starting because I had no interest in the crossover. With both the titles I don't have to figure out how or why. I can just read and enjoy. I also don't have to spend more money to enjoy them.

Come join the club!

Spider-Prime's only fan. spider-prime's Avatar

Wouldn't be hard to do a reboot. Just give the Impossible Man the Infinity Gauntlet like in the What if issue, but this time, he rewrites everything in his image. Oh yah! I would so read that.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberHubbs View Post
    Hawkguy is the best.
    Hawkeye's awesome. I think Marvel made a small mistake now it delaying the launch for two months so that it could have been the first Marvel Now title.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?