Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by csis View Post
    I expect Bruce will have the feeling that he also needs to save the Heretic, somehow.
    Just one more headache on top of everything else going on around him. I hadn't even stopped to consider that, thanks for bringing it up :)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Burnham View Post
    That's sketchy INK work, bucko! I go right from blue pencils to inking. No traditional "pencils" to be found.

Nothing's to everyone's taste, but I'm sorry you don't like it. I'm certainly trying hard!

For what it's worth, I found the art fantastic. The second volume of Batman Inc has had, IMO, the most consistently awesome art of Morrison's run so far. \endflattery

Yeah, Burnham's the best. Now if only we can get through the rest of the issues without random fill-in art in the middle of the story

Maybe I'm just really impatient, but this issue felt a little lacking in terms of moving the plot and overall saga forward. But it was still a lot of fun with nice dialogue--the Bruce 'brunch' line was really nice--and great art for Chris Burnham. Another really good Bat-comic from Morrison and Burnham, but I want more.
    The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame

BANNED

That's sketchy INK work, bucko! I go right from blue pencils to inking. No traditional "pencils" to be found.

Nothing's to everyone's taste, but I'm sorry you don't like it. I'm certainly trying hard!
    Just to clarify, I, Dr. Simon Hurt, do not share the opinions of Dr. Hurt.

Where's Rikdad from the old DC boards when you need him?
    Also, why was Talia asking to save Gotham or Damian? Damian seemed safe and tucked away to me. It seems by saving Gotham Bruce would destroy Damian in the long term knowing what we know from the 666 future. Is that how we're supposed to take it?

Quote Originally Posted by BarryAllen5K View Post
    Where's Rikdad from the old DC boards when you need him?
    Also, why was Talia asking to save Gotham or Damian? Damian seemed safe and tucked away to me. It by all seems by saving Gotham Bruce would destroy Damian in the long term knowing what we know from the 666 future. Is that how we're supposed to take it?

If Bruce "saves" Damian by allowing him to become the future Batman shown in issue #666, then the events of Batman Inc #5 will occur which result in Gotham being blown up. But if he forsakes Damian and sends him back to Talia, then Gotham is spared, but at the cost of losing Damian to her.
    "John Stewart. LAME! ...this guy having a ring is like giving the batmobile to a blind old woman with her left leg in a cast."

"Pym biting Blobs head off seems like something that would have happened when i was ten years old and playing with action figures."

"i always assumed that [the blob] had the same powers as his 616 counterpart because, if simply being a huge fat guy was enough to be considered a mutant then there sure are a lot of mutants in 'real life'. "

Quote Originally Posted by Choppa View Post
    If Bruce "saves" Damian by allowing him to become the future Batman shown in issue #666, then the events of Batman Inc #5 will occur which result in Gotham being blown up. But if he forsakes Damian and sends him back to Talia, then Gotham is spared, but at the cost of losing Damian to her.
    Ahhh yes. I didn't catch she was referring to events of the future. It makes better sense that way.... I guess. Really either way is bad for Damian. I wonder if we will get to see that "alternate" Damian future when the butterfly effect happens...

BANNED

Actually, in this issue Talia confirmed that Damian really has nothing to do with it. It's the "Third Batman" that does it, so Bruce can't really change it.

I just think the ultimatum is trivial to the #666 figure. Bruce has to hand over Damian or Talia herself will take out the city right now, in the present.

So many pages of thread in such a short time...
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Sorry if that came out too harsh. I love the energy of the figures, and the more cartoony feel of your art, but somehow the lines are too messy, not clean and crisp enough. I dont know the technical term for it. That's why i said it looks like you're using old, worn out pencils.

Other than that the art is great. Keep up the good work.

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    So many pages of thread in such a short time...
    Really. I feel like all of the positive things I would say have been said a dozen times. uh, good job discussing the hell out of this issue, guys...

I really like the Heretic = 666 third Batman theory. So many lines in 666 are that much more awesome. Unfortunatly... How do we reconcile Damien's line "The killer is the last of three men, insane replacement Batmen who haunted my father years ago"?

That makes it sound like Damien thinks its Lane. If it was really a clone of himself, wouldn't he know? I really hope someone smarter than me can come up with a good explanation because other than that one line the theory is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnhop View Post
    Yeah.

The Whale = Leviathan.

OH SHIT.

I just realized that another typical association with the belly of the whale is the boat = the coffin (see Hamlet). Who was the last person we saw in a coffin? That's right:

Simon Hurt.
    It is curious if posters here credit Morrison as deliberately inserting all these subtle references (and the many others over the issues as suspected by readers in previous threads) or if a higher than 50% (or chooses a %) of the connections are just 'happy coincidences' that enhance an otherwise less intricate story by inference. It would be interesting if respected writers (ie. Top 10) could share their issue notes online detailing the intended hidden messages before posters react/suggest online. This will probably (and understandably) not happen a lot because it would ruin a looong running arc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bookem Danno View Post
    It is curious if posters here credit Morrison as deliberately inserting all these subtle references (and the many others over the issues as suspected by readers in previous threads) or if a higher than 50% (or chooses a %) of the connections are just 'happy coincidences' that enhance an otherwise less intricate story by inference. It would be interesting if respected writers (ie. Top 10) could share their issue notes online detailing the intended hidden messages before posters react/suggest online. This will probably (and understandably) not happen a lot because it would ruin a looong running arc.
    I don't think any fan of Morrison's would argue that every thing we find and point out and every connection we make is intentional; I do think he puts a lot into his work, most of what I 'interpret' I believe was put there intentionally to some extent, but some of it (especially when we're dissecting things like the relevance of numbers, or the Hamlet/belly/coffin from above) I do admit is likely happy coincidence. However these kinds of inadvertent complexities and connections come precisely because Morrison - knowingly, IMHO - utilizes symbolism and mythology pregnant with myriad meanings across cultures.

This issue was brilliant, by the way. Just flawlessly executed on every technical level, emotionally devastating and right on target. This is probably the 'simplest' run Morrison has done on Batman since the very early stuff, in terms of reference and connection, but I am loving it for what it is.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/