Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wheel of Time

Was 10 the one which has the same thing happening a lot but from different POVs?

Because if yes, then you can skip most of it and not miss anything.
    Suffering is a fact of life. You survive if you find a reason to endure it.

Born under a wandrin Star Tobias March's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    Was 10 the one which has the same thing happening a lot but from different POVs?

Because if yes, then you can skip most of it and not miss anything.
    Yeah that was the one.

Lots happens in this one, but to little effect.

Animation & Illustration

I'm about halfway through book 11 now, and I gotta say... if I weren't aiming to read Brandon's books, I'd give up again. I really, really want to slap the living shit out of almost every one of his characters at some point or another, and it's not fun to read about characters who are so deeply frustrating.

I think one thing I've noticed is that almost nobody in this world respects anyone else. They either fear other people, or they hold the in contempt, or they're eternally confused. It's only on rare occasion that anyone in these books treats anyone else like an equal, or for that matter like a human being capable of eating without slobbering shit down their shirts. Especially the women. Even when characters like each other, their internal monologues are peppered with complaints and criticism. If nobody in this book likes anyone else, how am I supposed to like any of them?

One very problematic issue with the way the pacing affects these books is that every so often Jordan reminds us that it's only been 2 or 3 weeks or a month since this or that event... events which happened two books and THREE THOUSAND PAGES AGO. I keep feeling like those events happened years ago in book-time, because reading about Nynaeve's goddamn braid-tugging and her interminable "when did any man know what was good for him" internal monologue for the UMPTY-JILLIONTH occasion is actually slowing down the passage of time.

Ugh. Sorely tempted to start skimming through it for the good bits, just to be done with it at last.
    Last edited by Inkthinker; 01-13-2013 at 09:33 AM.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read"- Groucho Marx

Illustration Gallery
    2D Animation Studio

In the Evil Force of Evil Chiasm's Avatar

For those hesitating about a re-read might I suggest the audio books? They are quite excellently narrated. They are long as each one will be 30 hrs at least but if you have the time, I'm able to listen to audio books at work, they are worth it.
    Last edited by Chiasm; 01-13-2013 at 11:58 PM.

I am half-way through towers of midnight. I am hoping to finish it as fast as possible and move on to a memory of light.
    Strangely, I find I enjoy Brandon Sanderson's narration of the story more than I enjoy Robert Jordan.

Quote Originally Posted by chongjasmine View Post
    Strangely, I find I enjoy Brandon Sanderson's narration of the story more than I enjoy Robert Jordan.
    To be honest, me too. I thought the Battle of Dumai Wells at the end of book six, Lord of Chaos, was the high point of the series and after that Jordan just started coasting. He delved way too much into tedious world building and introduction of new characters like CadMARYSUEane for no real reason. Plot lines just ground to halt with no momentum. Faile's captivity story took way too long as did Elayne's winning the crown. As everyone pretty much agrees it was at its worst in book ten. Jordan's last book, number eleven, was better but really only in comparison to the ones before. I was worried about how Sanderson would take over and while not everything was perfect he brought a breath of fresh air to the series and brought forward movement back to the plot as things finally started happening again.

I stopped reading the series around book7 or so after realizing I had just finished a 1000 page book where literally NOTHING of consequence happened that furthered the story. I always said I would consider picking up the series again when it finally had an end. But it has been so long that I can't remember much of anything that happened in the books I had read, so finishing the series means starting from book 1, which I am hesitant to do because there are so many other books on my to read list already.

Anyone reading the comics? Are they good enough to serve as a substitute?

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina_Fried View Post
    I stopped reading the series around book7 or so after realizing I had just finished a 1000 page book where literally NOTHING of consequence happened that furthered the story. I always said I would consider picking up the series again when it finally had an end. But it has been so long that I can't remember much of anything that happened in the books I had read, so finishing the series means starting from book 1, which I am hesitant to do because there are so many other books on my to read list already.

Anyone reading the comics? Are they good enough to serve as a substitute?
    I tried the first three or so comics. They were of good art quality and decent writing but the series would have to hit issue #1000 to even have a chance of making it to Memory of Light given how glacially paced they are. After three issues and having the characters still being in Emond's Field I realized that the writers were Robert Jordan slowness on steroids. Your better off reading the books, they actually move faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiasm View Post
    I tried the first three or so comics. They were of good art quality and decent writing but the series would have to hit issue #1000 to even have a chance of making it to Memory of Light given how glacially paced they are. After three issues and having the characters still being in Emond's Field I realized that the writers were Robert Jordan slowness on steroids. Your better off reading the books, they actually move faster.
    Yeah, Chuck Dixon, who writes the comics, basically said that it would be a 10 year project at a minimum, and that was an optimistic estimate that hinged on the books coming out consistently on-time (which they haven't...they got started and then almost immediately had a "hiatus" as they switched publishers, and have had a couple hiccups since).

As it stands, they seem to be managing about a 4/5ths "compression rate" in the comics. So even if by some chance they managed to complete the series, we're talking...550 issues or so (probably more once you account for the prologues)? They're on 32 so far..... One issue a month means....only 45-46 years to complete the series! *cough* Yeah, don't see it happening unless they manage to go weekly or something.

It's a worthy adaptation from what I've seen, but if by some miracle they manage to adapt the whole series, it's gonna be a loooooong time before it's done.

Also worth noting: While the series can save space since it's depicting things instead of describing them, if the New Spring adaptation is any indication it could easily be harder to keep (minor/supporting) characters straight in the comics than it is in the books, as they often don't provide much narration or whatnot to remind you of who the various folks are. Though that may have been more a problem for New Spring simply because the whole first half of that story was basically "Here's an extended series of cameos by nearly every Aes Sedai in the main series, but when they were younger!"
    Last edited by Jmacq1; 01-18-2013 at 04:31 AM.

Long Live the Legion Zero Hunter's Avatar

I tried the comics but yeah they are just way to slow paced. I think they could have gone a better route and maybe given each book 12 issues or so and that would have been much better and still fit in everything they needed without dragging things out at a snails pace.

Long Live the Legion Zero Hunter's Avatar

Finally finished it up and was pretty ok with the ending. It could have used maybe one more chapter at the end set maybe a few months or a year latter to really show how things settled out for the characters that lived after the final battle though. At least I would have liked that.

Animation & Illustration

Finished Book 11! It got much better towards the end, when the focus became less about characters plotting and more about characters doing. This series is much more fun when people are active. This is the book I wanted the previous one to be, the one where stuff happened.

Gah, I can see how fans would be heartbroken if it all ended here, though. I'm looking forward to burning through the Brandon books and bringing this epic to a close.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read"- Groucho Marx

Illustration Gallery
    2D Animation Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Finally finished it up and was pretty ok with the ending. It could have used maybe one more chapter at the end set maybe a few months or a year latter to really show how things settled out for the characters that lived after the final battle though. At least I would have liked that.
    Jordan's original plan was to do a couple of followup novels set a few years later. When he got ill he put all his energy into writing the last chapter and Epilogue of Memory of Light and putting down notes of how to get there. His plan to return to them is why why things were left kind of open ended with so many characters. Sanderson has said there are only about two sentences of actual notes concerning those plans so neither he nor Harriet intend to actually do anything with it since they'd have to wholly invent the storyline.

For those who don't know, a deleted chapter from Memory of Light called River of Souls is going to be included in an fantasy anthology sometime this spring. Its apparently going to be from Demandred's point of view and tells his story and how he got his army.

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

It's a benefit anthology called Unfettered. Complete table of contents is here.
    Expletive Deleted