Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wheel of Time

Default Wheel of Time

Does any of you read this series? Do you like it?

Animation & Illustration

It's the only series I consciously quit reading. I stuck through all the way until Book 10, the one where literally nothing of consequence happens. It's all the same events from the previous book from different points of view, with very little forward movement, and in a series that had already slowed to molasses, I was totally fed up. That book actively angered me to the point where I decided I wouldn't read anymore of the series until it was all wrapped up and done.

Then Rigney went and died on us, which was pretty damn awful. But Sanderson picked up the pieces, and from all reports he's done a good job with it. And since I like Sanderson's books quite a lot more than average, I've just recently started up with Book 11, the last one Jordan wrote himself. And I'll give him credit for this, he certainly picks things up and moves them along with the death of a long-running antagonist in the first 20 pages or so. It's taking me a little while to catch up with everything, but I think I'll muddle through just to bring closure to the saga.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read"- Groucho Marx

Illustration Gallery
    2D Animation Studio

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

I quit sometime around book nine or ten, too. That said, now that it's finally ending I am going to finish it.
    Expletive Deleted

I started when book 3 was released and reach each volume as it was released (often rereading the previous volumes) up through book 8 (when it was said to be a seven book series early in its existence), but then decided to wait until the series was done to pick it up an reread it. Last year I did end up reading the full novel A New Spring (had previously read the shorter novella version when it was released) and the first book (Eye of the World) again. I had forgotten how good the first book was, how, much I liked it, and how much promise the series held. However, I do feel it lost its way, became bloated and meandering, and didn't seem to be working towards any type of ending as it continued past book 4 and then ad infinitum. I like the characters, I like the story (at least the beginning and some of the middle parts, there's no end to judge it by), I like the setting, it just didn't seem to have any forward momentum. When the last volume is out, I will get it and the volumes I am missing, and give it a go again, but this is one I am not putting any time into again until there is an ending to work towards.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

In the Evil Force of Evil Chiasm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    When the last volume is out, I will get it and the volumes I am missing, and give it a go again, but this is one I am not putting any time into again until there is an ending to work towards.

-M
    This sentence makes me think you don't realize the final book comes out in just nine days.

I started reading the series around the time book six came out. While I agree that the series bogged down around book ten I never considered quitting. In fact I've either read or listened to the entire series three times now. Knowing for a while now that Memory of Light comes out Jan 8th I've been scheduling my reading around this release date so I can start on it that day without leaving any other books hanging. So I've put off the next Malazan book and am instead of focusing on a lot of shorter stuff I've got sitting on my kindle that I picked up on specials.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiasm View Post
    This sentence makes me think you don't realize the final book comes out in just nine days.
    I will likely wait for it to get the paperback treatment as there are very few books I am willing to shell out for in hardcover, and I just can't read long term on any e-reader, my wife loves e-books, but for me, I get tired of reading in that format after just a few pages, so I prefer actual print. However, even if I started now, the paperback of the new book would probably be out before I got caught up enough for it to be a concern-but there are several things well ahead of Wheel of Time in my to be read cheque, so the imminent release of the last book is a bit irrelevant to my reading plans.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Born under a wandrin Star Tobias March's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chiasm View Post
    Hallelujah! I'll have to get the Kindle edition.

Ah, what an interesting spam.

You know, spam is such a good example of how evolution works. See this one? Trying to lure us and all? So different from the first ones who were so damn obvious.

Anyway, meant to read those books for so long now. Never actually did it. Let's make it a new year resolution, this year i WILL read this stuff!!

Robert Jordan spam though is a terrifying thought.

'Experiencing too much taint? Click here to enjoy a pure source of saidin. Our friendly Aiel maidens are here to serve you.'

And so on.

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias March View Post
    Hallelujah! I'll have to get the Kindle edition.
    The Kindle edition isn't out until April. Yeah, Macmillan is a weird publisher.

EDIT: Oh, and if those last two posts don't make sense, we deleted a spam message that incorporated some text relating to Wheel of Time.
    Last edited by Expletive Deleted; 01-01-2013 at 05:51 AM.
    Expletive Deleted

To everyone who gave up on the series, give the ones Sanderson has written a try. It's really become enjoyable again and he is tying up all of the loose ends. I'm really looking forward to next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post

EDIT: Oh, and if those last two posts don't make sense, we deleted a spam message that incorporated some text relating to Wheel of Time.
    Oh my poor aching wrists...

Quote Originally Posted by Blueferret View Post
    To everyone who gave up on the series, give the ones Sanderson has written a try. It's really become enjoyable again and he is tying up all of the loose ends. I'm really looking forward to next week.

I agree. Sanderson's part in the wheel of time series is an enjoyable read for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post

Its not Macmillan, its Harriet McDougal (Robert Jordan's wife and controller of his estate). Sanderson has said in past interviews that Harriet is basically terrified of new reading technology (he said it much more delicately than that) and had to be drug kicking and screaming to even authorize the delayed release of WoT books in e-book form. Sanderson on the other hand was one of the first authors to jump on the e-book lending program where you can loan your e-books to someone else as if you are a library. While Sanderson is writing the books, Harriet is the supreme dictator over all (luckily she and Brandon seem to get along which they should since she hand picked him).