Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

I think my reading log is about to become even more loaded toward superhero comics than it already is. Someone started a thread in the Batman forum about rereading and reviewing the whole Knightfall saga and I feel compelled to join as I have almost all th issues in my collection bu have not re-read them in some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris N View Post
    Somehow I just digested this statement.

What about Lord of the Rings?
    Nope. I own all the Elfquest novels but never cracked them open either.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

Finally broke 500 issues last night. At this pace I won't make 1000, but we'll see. I've definitely had busy enough months, but I've been sidetracked a lot lately.

500 comics is nothing to turn your nose up at man, that's a good deal of reading. Anything that surprised you as being really good this month?

The Heavy Metal. I love the older issues, but I think the newest issue I've read is 6-10 years old now, and by all accounts the title has lost it's charm. I may have just purchased a particularly good issue. It was over 110 pages of one story, but it was told in fractured chapters by different creators. Still, it was basically a graphic novel for the price of a Heavy Metal mag. One of the artists was Camilla D'errico. I've been a fan of hers since before she was doing comics. I'm not a huge manga fan but I loved her manga inspired fine art and tend to like comics she's illustrated. So I thought that was cool. I'm seriously considering a subscription, which would come out to like $3 an issue. I haven't read a classic comic yet this month, may be the first month that's happened. I still have half read Mickey and Lone Wolf trades that I just haven't had the time to pick up lately.

With a break down of about three dollars a book that really doesn't sound all that bad for an anthology title. At that rate even if there are only one or two stories you like out of the whole bunch you're still getting your money's worth.
    I tend to like anthologies but the price point is often prohibitive for me. Dark Horse Presents for instance often has some fun stories and it's sold me on new writers more than once but at $7.99 unless I know there's absolutely something I'll really enjoy(like a new Hellboy story or something by Richard Corb the price is just too high for me.
    I occasionally will pick them up digitally as the price goes down to 3.99 but even that hurts a little.

Yeah I look at the anthologies and look out for creators I like. I know with Heavy Metal the usual format used to be one 40 page complete graphic novel, a handful of short contained stories ranging one page to several pages, and a few serialized graphic novel excerpts at about ten pages worth per issue. They would be 40-200 page stories in total I think. So I'll check out another issue or two and see how it goes before subscribing. It's expensive at the bookstore though, comes out to just under ten dollars per issue.

But speaking of anthologies, Negative Burn is a favorite of mine, and the overall quality seems to be top notch every issue. Highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by dupont2005 View Post
    Finally broke 500 issues last night. At this pace I won't make 1000, but we'll see.
    Truly, who cares? When I look at other people's posts in this thread, I'm more interested in what they are reading and what they're enjoying than how much they've plowed through.

I'm right with you in terms of being side-tracked by life right now. I expected to have a lot more time this summer, and it has not worked out that way. Still, I've read more content that I really enjoyed and found memorable than I did in past years, so I figure I'm ahead.

Yeah I look at the anthologies and look out for creators I like. I know with Heavy Metal the usual format used to be one 40 page complete graphic novel, a handful of short contained stories ranging one page to several pages, and a few serialized graphic novel excerpts at about ten pages worth per issue. They would be 40-200 page stories in total I think. So I'll check out another issue or two and see how it goes before subscribing. It's expensive at the bookstore though, comes out to just under ten dollars per issue.

But speaking of anthologies, Negative Burn is a favorite of mine, and the overall quality seems to be top notch every issue. Highly recommended.
    I've never heard of Negative Burn, does it tend to cover a specific genre or is it a mixed bag?

Quote Originally Posted by shaxper View Post
    Truly, who cares? When I look at other people's posts in this thread, I'm more interested in what they are reading and what they're enjoying than how much they've plowed through.

I'm right with you in terms of being side-tracked by life right now. I expected to have a lot more time this summer, and it has not worked out that way. Still, I've read more content that I really enjoyed and found memorable than I did in past years, so I figure I'm ahead.
    Indeed, the number is unimportant; and it's not a race or something, it's just a fun reading experience.

Though truth be told, I'd be a little bit disingenuous if I said this thread hadn't influenced the number of books I have read. My pace is normally ravenous, I read anything and everything with in eye-sight no matter where I am, but this thread has inspired me to read a little bit more than normal as I'll see a title on someone else's list and want to check it out or someone will post a goal for a reading project and it'll cause me to start my own.

I don't feel pressed upon though, it's all just good fun and I'm loving it.

Right now my current project is to re-read the entire Batman: Knightfall saga from start to finish. I was looking at a reading list the other day and surprisingly I have nearly all the issues. I'm only missing a few issues of Batman and Detective, and a single issue of Shadow of the Bat from the Crusade portion of Knightfall. I don't know if I just never had these issues or maybe I lent them out or traded them as a kid but I found it funny that I was only missing issues from that section and not anywhere else.

At any rate it should be fun, I'm a big fan of Doug Moench and Chuck Dixon so this is right up my ally and on top of that it's a story that represents my first real forray into comics as this is the first story I bought into as it was coming out. I've re-read chunks of it off and on but I'm pretty sure this will mark the first time I've read the whole thing since it came out.

I don't have a ton of issues, but here's what I have.

It was first published by Caliber and then later by Image. The Image ones are much thicker. They're all black and white and equal in quality. The subject matter is a mixed bag for sure, from funny to surreal. I think one of the hot Image titles first appeared in this anthology, Chew or something. It has contributions from the likes of Alan Moore, Terry Moore, Brian Bolland, Evan Dorkin, Paul Pope, Peter David, Art Adams, and a bunch of people I've never heard of. Regular contributions by those listed. It can be found really cheap online, all except that one issue that has the first appearance of something or other. I know I have that issue, but I can't remember which one it was. At the time tracking down cheap issues I realized one was a bit pricy, and when I found one for only $18 I bought it. I think the rest were a buck an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Right now my current project is to re-read the entire Batman: Knightfall saga from start to finish. I was looking at a reading list the other day and surprisingly I have nearly all the issues. I'm only missing a few issues of Batman and Detective, and a single issue of Shadow of the Bat from the Crusade portion of Knightfall. I don't know if I just never had these issues or maybe I lent them out or traded them as a kid but I found it funny that I was only missing issues from that section and not anywhere else.

At any rate it should be fun, I'm a big fan of Doug Moench and Chuck Dixon so this is right up my ally and on top of that it's a story that represents my first real forray into comics as this is the first story I bought into as it was coming out. I've re-read chunks of it off and on but I'm pretty sure this will mark the first time I've read the whole thing since it came out.
    Boy do I wish I had the time to get back to my Batman reviews. Knightfall isn't all that far away but, at the pace I've been going, I'm not likely to get there anytime soon.

I don't have a ton of issues, but here's what I have.

It was first published by Caliber and then later by Image. The Image ones are much thicker. They're all black and white and equal in quality. The subject matter is a mixed bag for sure, from funny to surreal. I think one of the hot Image titles first appeared in this anthology, Chew or something. It has contributions from the likes of Alan Moore, Terry Moore, Brian Bolland, Evan Dorkin, Paul Pope, Peter David, Art Adams, and a bunch of people I've never heard of. Regular contributions by those listed. It can be found really cheap online, all except that one issue that has the first appearance of something or other. I know I have that issue, but I can't remember which one it was. At the time tracking down cheap issues I realized one was a bit pricy, and when I found one for only $18 I bought it. I think the rest were a buck an issue.
    Read much of the Image volume and liked the potential, but ultimately felt indifferent to much of the content. Didn't realize Chew began there. I wonder if I have the issue.

I just finally got Lone Wolf omnibus #1, which collects volumes 1 - 3. Does any one know how many issues this collects? Or was the series originally released in volumes? I'm not sure how to enter it in my tally.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

It was originally released in floppies (in America at least) but I don't know which issue numbers the omnibus collects.

Quote Originally Posted by shaxper View Post

I find myself doing much of my reading on sundays. The most fun I have is when I Put my books away in my long boxes and randomly read issues.
    Life is what you make it.