Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Favorites:
    New teen Titans
    Total: 385

Just did my update for today and found myself at a total of 384 with my favorite read of the month being the new New Teen Titans story written by Wolfman and Perez.

Is that synergy or what?

Ha, must be. I love this series so far,and I'm definitely going to keep reading it. I tried New Mutants as well to see if I l'd get the same jolt out of itandlthoughit is fun it just doesn't grab me like the titans do.
    Man, typing on my nook sucks. Seriously, don't try it.

Ha, must be. I love this series so far,and I'm definitely going to keep reading it. I tried New Mutants as well to see if I l'd get the same jolt out of itandlthoughit is fun it just doesn't grab me like the titans do.
    Claremont New Mutants is another personal favorite of mine, but it's certainly not on the level of Wolfman/Perez Titans and Claremont X-Men. Truly, almost nothing is.

Man, typing on my nook sucks. Seriously, don't try it.
    I assure you I've no intention of typing on your nook

I got the Baker Street TPB for super cheap online. I've been wanting to read that series forever. I have a few issues, just never got around to snagging the rest up. Enjoying the story but the gutter loss is a pain when the text balloons are on the inside edge of the page. Oh well. For under a penny a page I'll live with it.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

Quote Originally Posted by shaxper View Post
    Claremont New Mutants is another personal favorite of mine, but it's certainly not on the level of Wolfman/Perez Titans and Claremont X-Men. Truly, almost nothing is.

I assure you I've no intention of typing on your nook
    It was my first time reading Claremont and I did enjoy it, I've never been a huge X-Men fan but I'm thinking I should explore them further.

Ha, you better not. If I get two nooks stolen in a row heads will roll.

On another note I just finished Joe Kubert Presents #6( the last issue) and its finality brought up many of the same emotions I felt when I first learned of his passing. It's strange how you can form a bond with a person you've never even met before, how you can feel pain for someone who never even knew your name but who none the less was a big part of your life through their creative works.

I wrote two letters Pete Carlson (and posthumously Joe), and I'm glad that Pete, someone who did really know and Love Joe, found them to be heartfelt and I hope they helped him in his own remembrances of his old friend.

Seriously, if Joe Kubert's work ever made you smile as a reader you need to pick up this book post haste. For me, this was the most important comic I've ever read, every page resonated with me in a way that no other comic ever has.

It was just that personal.

You know the problem with buying comics and reading them? It makes you want to buy more comics and read those too. I just read New Crusaders #1-6 and Tangent: Superman's Reign #1-2 and now I've gone and subscribed to the former and bought the other 10 issues of the latter.

Damn you, cool comics!!!
    Last edited by Scott Harris; 03-30-2013 at 06:54 PM.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

It's an awesome problem to have...except when you look at your budget and realize you need a second job to support your buying habit.

Because of this years Club I have rediscovered many books that i haven't read in years. Jon Sable freelance 1-6 were just fantastic.
    Life is what you make it.

It was my first time reading Claremont and I did enjoy it, I've never been a huge X-Men fan but I'm thinking I should explore them further.

Ha, you better not. If I get two nooks stolen in a row heads will roll.

On another note I just finished Joe Kubert Presents #6( the last issue) and its finality brought up many of the same emotions I felt when I first learned of his passing. It's strange how you can form a bond with a person you've never even met before, how you can feel pain for someone who never even knew your name but who none the less was a big part of your life through their creative works.

I wrote two letters Pete Carlson (and posthumously Joe), and I'm glad that Pete, someone who did really know and Love Joe, found them to be heartfelt and I hope they helped him in his own remembrances of his old friend.

Seriously, if Joe Kubert's work ever made you smile as a reader you need to pick up this book post haste. For me, this was the most important comic I've ever read, every page resonated with me in a way that no other comic ever has.

It was just that personal.
    I will second the recommendation of Joe Kubert Presents. I haven't read #6 yet, but 1-5 were just great reads, throwbacks to a time we all on the classics forum remember fondly. It's not just Kubert, but stuff Joe wanted to see, so we have had Tales of the USS Stevens by Sam Glanzman every issue as well and for the first 5 issues an Angel and the Ape tale. The farewell to Sgt. Rock in #5 just blew me away. My current Kubert spree was inspired by reading the first issue of this series. I had always liked and respected Joe's work, but this reminded of just how good it was and finally got me to go out and seek more of it. I had long been aware of Kubert's work, but I first became a real fan of it when I read Fax From Sarajevo in the mid-90's, but I never got around to really seeking out his other stuff until this series hit.

-M
    Last edited by MRP; 03-30-2013 at 10:33 PM.
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

It's an awesome problem to have...except when you look at your budget and realize you need a second job to support your buying habit.
    Yeah, my buying's been a little more brisk these past few months than it has been on average last year.

This months best read was Moon Knight #25. It was a self contained double issue with a nice story by Doug Meonch and Great artwork by Bill Sienkiewicz. The story details the fall and Rise and fall of Viet Nam vet Carson Knowles. He is rejected by a society that vilifies the men that were involved with that conflict and snaps when every support system fails him. He decides to pattern himself after Moon Knights self made example and call himself the Black Spectre. But hes not after ordinary robbery, he has designs on being the Mayor of NYC. He uses extortion and his late fathers political connections to make it happen but has to contend with Moon Knight to achieve his goals. Meonch draws you into the story and it reads like a motion picture. This whole run was awesome.

This was the period when Sienkiewicz was drawing closer to the style of Neal Adams and he was never better IMHO.

Nice action from Bills pencils.

Life is what you make it.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    I will second the recommendation of Joe Kubert Presents. I haven't read #6 yet, but 1-5 were just great reads, throwbacks to a time we all on the classics forum remember fondly. It's not just Kubert, but stuff Joe wanted to see, so we have had Tales of the USS Stevens by Sam Glanzman every issue as well and for the first 5 issues an Angel and the Ape tale. The farewell to Sgt. Rock in #5 just blew me away. My current Kubert spree was inspired by reading the first issue of this series. I had always liked and respected Joe's work, but this reminded of just how good it was and finally got me to go out and seek more of it. I had long been aware of Kubert's work, but I first became a real fan of it when I read Fax From Sarajevo in the mid-90's, but I never got around to really seeking out his other stuff until this series hit.

-M
    Other than coming to an end the only other negative element of this series was that we never got the end of The Redeemer. We got the tease about how next time we'd see him in ancient Rome but it never came.

Other than coming to an end the only other negative element of this series was that we never got the end of The Redeemer. We got the tease about how next time we'd see him in ancient Rome but it never came.
    Yeah though what was printed of the Redeemer story is what Joe had in the can before the project was cancelled in the 80's. Had Joe not passed he may have finished the unfinished installment but I don't think any other new material would have been done for it. I personally would love to see DC do a big omnibus sized collection of Kubert's covers, but I don't see it happening. If I had the disposable income available, I would certainly try to get one of the IDW artist's editions of Kubert's Tarzan.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

I never realized so many of the comics I read qualify as "classic."

I have purged my pull list quite a bit last year, but I still thought of myself as a mostly current comic reader these days. Looking at my list I read almost no new comics. I haven't really changed reading habits for the list, except I try to make more time to read (which has been failing these past two months) and when it gets to the end of the month and I see I've barely finished any comics I'll dig up one of my quicker to read runs and knock out a few issues to catch myself up. I'm not rereading much but if I pick something up and realize I've already read it I'll give it another go.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Yeah though what was printed of the Redeemer story is what Joe had in the can before the project was cancelled in the 80's. Had Joe not passed he may have finished the unfinished installment but I don't think any other new material would have been done for it. I personally would love to see DC do a big omnibus sized collection of Kubert's covers, but I don't see it happening. If I had the disposable income available, I would certainly try to get one of the IDW artist's editions of Kubert's Tarzan.

-M
    Oh yeah, I understand the why of it 100%, it was just such a tease. That was probably by far my favorite story in the collection though I did enjoy the USS Stevens stories a lot as well.