View Poll Results: What was the Worst DC Comic of 2012?

Voters
93. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Batgirl

7 7.53%
  • Batman: The Dark Knight

2 2.15%
  • Catwoman

5 5.38%
  • Deathstroke

4 4.30%
  • Detective Comics

1 1.08%
  • Green Arrow

12 12.90%
  • Hawk & Dove

19 20.43%
  • Justice League

2 2.15%
  • Justice League International

2 2.15%
  • Mister Terrific

13 13.98%
  • Static Shock

10 10.75%
  • Superboy

3 3.23%
  • The Fury of Firestorm

4 4.30%
  • The Phantom Stranger

2 2.15%
  • Worlds' Finest

7 7.53%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default DC 2012: The Worst of the Worst

The anti-thesis to Dr. Cheesesteak's Best of Awards, this is where we remember the crap DC pushed out this year on us. What stunk the most this year? What did we hate the most? What was utter trash? What was overrated? And so much more!

Using Cheesesteak's list and some of the categories from my own awards (and even more new ones!), here's the list:

Worst Cover:

Worst Drawn Comic:

Worst Fight:

Worst Moment:

Most Unintentionally Funny Moment:

Worst Story Arc:

Worst Single Issue:

Worst Zero Issue:

Worst Event:

Worst Hero:

Worst Villain:

Worst Team:

Worst Side Characters:

Biggest Waste of Money (This is for a comic you actually bought instead of reading it in the store or reading someone’s else copy):

Why Won’t You Just Be Cancelled Comic (This is for the title should have been cancelled long ago, but yet is still around despite everything):

Most Overrated Comic:

Most Disappointing Comic:

Worst New Comic:

Worst Backup for a Comic:

Least Improved After A Creative Team Change:

Worst Artist:

Worst Writer:

Worst Comic of the Year:

I also put up a poll to vote on the worst titles. I picked these comics in particular from reading people's reactions to them here, reviews from other sites, and my own experiences with them. That's why there is some surprising choices on this list. My next post will tell you guys what my picks were.

My picks:

Worst Cover: The Savage Hawkman #10

Worst Drawn Comic: Deathstroke

Worst Fight: Deathstroke in the Graveyard (Deathstroke #9)

Worst Moment: Wonder Woman Shoots Hades (Wonder Woman #10)

Most Unintentionally Funny Moment: Batman meets Owlman (Batman #10)

Worst Story Arc: Hades Arc (Wonder Woman #7-10)

Worst Single Issue: Deathstroke #9

Worst Zero Issue: Catwoman

Worst Event: The Culling (Young Justice Line)

Worst Hero: Green Arrow

Worst Villain: Lobo (Deathstroke)

Worst Team: Justice League Dark (Peter Milligan’s run)

Worst Side Characters: Suicide Squad

Biggest Waste of Money: Worlds’ Finest

Why Won’t You Just Be Cancelled Comic: The Savage Hawkman

Most Overrated Comic: Wonder Woman

Most Disappointing Comic: Team 7

Worst Backup for a Comic: Tony Daniels’ Detective Comics

Worst New Comic: The Ravagers

Least Improved After A Creative Team Change: Ann Nocenti’s Green Arrow

Worst Artist: Rob Liefeld

Worst Writer: Tie! Rob Liefeld & Ann Nocenti

Worst Comic of the Year: Green Arrow

I only pick up a handful of titles in issues now, so I'll focus on the general selections, rather than issue specific ones.

Worst Drawn Comic: Hawk & Dove
    Worst Hero: Hawkman
    Worst Villain: "One-Face" Two-Face
    Worst Team: The Ravagers
    Worst Side Characters: Suicide Squad
    Biggest Waste of Money: Mr. Terrific
    Why Won’t You Just Be Cancelled Comic: The Savage Hawkman
    Most Overrated Comic: Detective Comics
    Most Disappointing Comic: Team 7
    Worst New Comic: The Ravagers
    Least Improved After A Creative Team Change: Green Arrow
    Worst Artist: Rob Liefeld
    Worst Writer: Rob Liefeld
    Worst Comic of the Year: Green Arrow

In the Evil Force of Evil Chiasm's Avatar

This isn't really a fair poll because I'm fairly confident that the answers for all the questions would be comics we don't read. If I'm reading a comic I obviously do like it to some extent.

The sole exception is cover since you notice those even on books you don't read and there its a slam dunk winner as worst cover of the year for me and that is Ravagers #1. That cover alone guaranteed I would not try the book because it pretty much was the epitome of everything I hate about the common depiction of females in comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiasm View Post
    This isn't really a fair poll because I'm fairly confident that the answers for all the questions would be comics we don't read. If I'm reading a comic I obviously do like it to some extent.

The sole exception is cover since you notice those even on books you don't read and there its a slam dunk winner as worst cover of the year for me and that is Ravagers #1. That cover alone guaranteed I would not try the book because it pretty much was the epitome of everything I hate about the common depiction of females in comics.
    Excellent post, all valid. I did try Ravagers #1 and I should have saved three dollars and judged it by the cover.

Lightbulb

Worst Cover: The changes to the Zero issues, I really liked the idea of the characters bursting through the cover of the first issue, the change really disappointed me.

Worst Drawn Comic: Hawk and Dove

Worst Fight: Deathstroke vs. Lobo

Worst Moment: Agent Fallon and Black Jack getting killed off in Voodoo.

Most Unintentionally Funny Moment: Deathstroke vs. Lobo

Worst Story Arc: Grifter after the third or forth issue

Worst Single Issue:The DC Universe Presents where they killed Rocky

Worst Zero Issue:Deathstroke

Worst Event:I had a couple of minor problems with "Night of the Owls"

Worst Hero:Deathstroke

Worst Villain:Lobo

Worst Team:The Challengers of the Unknown

Worst Side Characters:Static Shock, because I did not know the history of the characters before reading the series. This one is on me for missing the previous Static Shock material.

Biggest Waste of Money (This is for a comic you actually bought instead of reading it in the store or reading someone’s else copy):Grifter and Hawk and Dove

Why Won’t You Just Be Cancelled Comic (This is for the title should have been cancelled long ago, but yet is still around despite everything):Batman:The Dark Knight

Most Overrated Comic:Legion of Super-heroes

Most Disappointing Comic:Hawk and Dove

Worst New Comic:Team 7

Worst Backup for a Comic: Men at War

Least Improved After A Creative Team Change:Grifter, I thought the book started out pretty good and went downhill fast.

Worst Artist:Rob Liefeld

Worst Writer:Sterling Gates

Worst Comic of the Year:Hawk and Dove

I have not finished reading Superman and Legion of Super-heroes (I am issues 9 on each)
    Since, I am missing issues 2 on both Frankenstein and Demon Knight, I have not read those yet.

I voted Phantom Stranger, but wow, you look at that list, and DC released a lot of garbage this year. Sure, they released a lot of great stuff too, but yeesh. And there's also a good handful of books absent from the poll that deserve to be there.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

Quote Originally Posted by toflymikey View Post
    Worst Hero:Deathstroke
    Deathstroke isnt even a hero.

And Deathstrokes comic actually had some of the best art of the reboot at the start, same with the cover.

Worst books for me are between Green Arrow and Phantom Stranger. Worst art and writing = anything touched by Liefield.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    The anti-thesis to Dr. Cheesesteak's Best of Awards, this is where we remember the crap DC pushed out this year on us. What stunk the most this year? What did we hate the most? What was utter trash? What was overrated? And so much more!

Using Cheesesteak's list and some of the categories from my own awards (and even more new ones!), here's the list:

Worst Cover:

Worst Drawn Comic:

Worst Fight:

Worst Moment:

Most Unintentionally Funny Moment:

Worst Story Arc:

Worst Single Issue:

Worst Zero Issue:

Worst Event:

Worst Hero:

Worst Villain:

Worst Team:

Worst Side Characters:

Biggest Waste of Money (This is for a comic you actually bought instead of reading it in the store or reading someone’s else copy):

Why Won’t You Just Be Cancelled Comic (This is for the title should have been cancelled long ago, but yet is still around despite everything):

Most Overrated Comic:

Most Disappointing Comic:

Worst New Comic:

Worst Backup for a Comic:

Least Improved After A Creative Team Change:

Worst Artist:

Worst Writer:

Worst Comic of the Year:

I also put up a poll to vote on the worst titles. I picked these comics in particular from reading people's reactions to them here, reviews from other sites, and my own experiences with them. That's why there is some surprising choices on this list. My next post will tell you guys what my picks were.
    You forgot a few

Worst line of book:
    Worst set of editors:
    Worst editor:
    Worst idea for a reboot reintroduction of a character:
    Optional-
    Book that ended your buying of DC Comics:

I can't answer most of these as butchering of Static turned me completely off of buying DC Comics. Any new 52 reading I have done is via trades from the public library.

Worst Drawn Comic: Mr. Terrific

Worst Fight: Scott McDaniel vs John Rozum

Worst Moment: Static getting his arm cut off

Worst Story Arc: Static Shock 1-6

Worst Single Issue: Static Shock #6

Worst Villain: The fake Power Rangers in Static Shock

Worst Team: Ravengers-all those guys deserve better

Worst Side Characters: Firestorm

Biggest Waste of Money (This is for a comic you actually bought instead of reading it in the store or reading someone’s else copy): Static Shock #1-6

Why Won’t You Just Be Cancelled Comic (This is for the title should have been cancelled long ago, but yet is still around despite everything): Firestorm

Most Overrated Comic: Justice League America (I couldn't get through the trade before getting bored)

Most Disappointing Comic: Tie-Blue Beetle & Static Shock-no excuse for how bad both were

Worst New Comic: Ravengers

Worst Artist: Scott McDaniel

Worst Writer: Scott McDaniel (Dear DC-if you want minority heroes to sale without a link to Batman-STOP putting first time writers and guys with bad track records on their books.)

Worst Comic of the Year: Static Shock

Worst line of book: Static Shock

Worst set of editors: Young Justice line

Worst editor: Harvey Richards

Worst idea for a reboot reintroduction of a character: Moving Static to New York to face Power Rangers, fake Joker, clones and being labeled a thug.

Don't do the Limbo sunofdarkchild's Avatar

So much crap in that poll I can't decide which one is the absolute worst. I don't think we've ever had so many batbooks that have been so disappointing and/or bad at once.

What's the criteria for worst team? Is it based on well they act as a team or how they converse in private together? This is too open-ended I think

WOW you really have to waste your life on a lot of crap to be able to answer correctly. Congrats to those who did.
    Characters: Elongated Man, Batman, Satellite JLA, Super Buddies, Sandman, Swamp Thing
    Writers: Moore, Gaiman, Cooke, Giffen/DeMatteis, Miller, Dini, Morrison, Waid, Meltzer, McDuffie, Barr, Englehart

I'm trying to ascertain something but I can't quite come to a conclusion: are you meaning to insult me getting carried away with your virtual testosterone, or are you trying to provoke me into aggrandizing you? Either way if I were you, I'd be mature about it, possibly edit your post or answer the simple question I wrote, or you could look like a braying ass to everybody here. Your move, shooter.

lol. This is hilarious. I wasn't talking to you! hahaha. I mean the thread in general.
    Characters: Elongated Man, Batman, Satellite JLA, Super Buddies, Sandman, Swamp Thing
    Writers: Moore, Gaiman, Cooke, Giffen/DeMatteis, Miller, Dini, Morrison, Waid, Meltzer, McDuffie, Barr, Englehart

oh sorry mate haha. I get pisses when I can't sleep so when I see what looks like the targeting of myself I get a little edgy. ALL THIS EDGINESS