Default Is it possible to continue the Pokemon franchise without new generations?

I they stop making new generations then I have feeling that Ash will be required to retire since in a sense the whole show has worked sort of like a quasi-wildlife + other peoples strange pets + travel show which all depend on new stuff to get it going.It would be to much a character shift for Ash if he actually got serious all of a sudden and the show stopped being that way.My guess is that the anime would be obligated to be more serious,be more like the manga and/or have Digimon's sort of emotional engagement and may as well start in Kanto again (just so long as every generation's Pokemon made is present in that region).`_` Something good can definitely be done there.

As for the games though..'~' I'm not too sure.Besides an MMO which so many feel the natural urge for and if (hopefully) the anime plot doesn't match the games the next step I see is balancing mix of elements of the dungeon and rangers games as well minigame-ish stuff like the sports in gen II remakes and Pokemon snap,pinball and trozei.

It's not like no more new monsters you gotta catch necessarily means the end,does it?.

At first I thought you meant new generations of people, i.e. letting Ash actually age. But I guess only the anime part of the franchise is stuck on him.
    Soap Operus

"Gendou is probably the least whiny, but... well, let's just say that his reaction was probably not quite as healthy as a good whine."
    -The Drunkard Kid, on Evangelion

Cruel and Unusual Sound Silence's Avatar

I think the Pokemon franchise needs to expand. They have a lot of potential for A LOT of stuff but they limit themselves far too much to the paradigms of the original games (even in the non-game works of fiction).

I mean, the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series was kind of an interesting concept and they could do stuff similar to that. And I had the idea of something like a God of War style action fighter where you play a Cubone out to avenge its mother, and you end up fighting progressively stronger Pokemon and like, end up beating the shit out of Legendaries in the end.

So I think the Pokemon franchise has lots of potential for stuff that doesn't follow the original games' paradigm. But if they keep doing it that way, well, more generations are inevitable.

Nintendo is raking good cash on Pokemon, so I doubt they are going to stop using their old formula.
    Though I would definetly watch an anime adaptation of Pokemon Special, even when no newer pokemon appear at the first arcs.

Quote Originally Posted by perroloco View Post
    Nintendo is raking good cash on Pokemon, so I doubt they are going to stop using their old formula.
    Though I would definetly watch an anime adaptation of Pokemon Special, even when no newer pokemon appear at the first arcs.
    Honestly, I would much just rather see straight-up anime adaptations of the games instead of the same rehashed formula that exists with the same protagonist and his goddamned Pikachu. Red owns your soul, Ketchum! And no, I don't hate or even dislike Ash Ketchum, I'm just sick of seeing him every season.

Swedish Shinigami Dark Soul # 7's Avatar

I'd like a series that tells parallel stories about new trainers from the different regions that are part of online club or something. Boom, there you have potential for a large and diverse cast and different stories that covers most of the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Honestly, I would much just rather see straight-up anime adaptations of the games instead of the same rehashed formula that exists with the same protagonist and his goddamned Pikachu. Red owns your soul, Ketchum! And no, I don't hate or even dislike Ash Ketchum, I'm just sick of seeing him every season.
    Kudos for your devotion. I jumped ship somewhere early into Johto. I never really recovered from the notion that I had watched 100+ episodes of a team being forged only for Ash to be beaten pretty early on in PKMN League. I mean WTF?

Best Wishes (Black and White) has been pretty good so far, at least the episodes I've watched.

Admittedly, that's partially because I just can't say no to a competent Team Rocket.

Also, after a bazillion episodes, Ash and Giovanni actually had a confrontation. So now we can kind of pretend that Pokemon had an overarcing plot all along! Just a really decompressed one.
    Suffering is a fact of life. You survive if you find a reason to endure it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sound Silence View Post
    I mean, the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series was kind of an interesting concept and they could do stuff similar to that. And I had the idea of something like a God of War style action fighter where you play a Cubone out to avenge its mother, and you end up fighting progressively stronger Pokemon and like, end up beating the shit out of Legendaries in the end.

Sold!

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    Kudos for your devotion. I jumped ship somewhere early into Johto. I never really recovered from the notion that I had watched 100+ episodes of a team being forged only for Ash to be beaten pretty early on in PKMN League. I mean WTF?
    That's nothing. Sinnoh has him losing to a guy with a team of Legendary Pokemon... who is never seen again.

Grated that's better than Unova when he loses to an expy of himself who then loses to a guy with a team made of Eevee evolutions. At least the first admitted an overpowered antagonist was needed to take the League away from him.

I dunno. A team of Eeveelution winning sounds pretty legit.

In Pokemon Stadium, my Eeveelution team beats my friend's legendary team like 9 out of 10.

Mostly because Vaporeon and Jolteon always crit. Always.

More seriously, my favourite tournament is the Orange League, even though Ash clearly should not have won that one given that Dragonite was wrecking his entire team until Team Rocket weakened it. Though in fairness Drake was a cheating bastard given that Dragonite knew 10 moves, so I suppose it evens out.
    Suffering is a fact of life. You survive if you find a reason to endure it.

No, the Eevee part is kinda okay. They are decent pokemon in spite of being all cute. My Vaporeon did the bulk of the work against the Elite Four once. It's more the 'lost to a guy that lost to another guy' that gets me.

That said, I also liked Orange League. Neat arc, Ash actually wins, and it has Charizard befriending.

That was awesome.

Cruel and Unusual Sound Silence's Avatar

Ugh. Yeah. I hated that he didn't win the tournament. I mean, that was the whole point of the series up until then. He didn't even make it to the finals. I mean, maybe there was supposed to be some lesson in it, but it was really just... backhanded.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post

Sold!

That's nothing. Sinnoh has him losing to a guy with a team of Legendary Pokemon... who is never seen again.

Grated that's better than Unova when he loses to an expy of himself who then loses to a guy with a team made of Eevee evolutions. At least the first admitted an overpowered antagonist was needed to take the League away from him.
    I read somewhere that Cubone and subsquently Marowak were originally supposed to be an alternate evolution of Kangaskhan. Which makes a whole lot of sense depending on how you look at them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    No, the Eevee part is kinda okay. They are decent pokemon in spite of being all cute. My Vaporeon did the bulk of the work against the Elite Four once. It's more the 'lost to a guy that lost to another guy' that gets me.

That said, I also liked Orange League. Neat arc, Ash actually wins, and it has Charizard befriending.

That was awesome.
    Conversely, a good chunk of Orange Islands annoyed me. Mostly due to the fact that Ash apparently forgot about the pokemon he met during the Indigo League arc and felt the need to scan them all over again. That and well, Tracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    Yeah, each season is pretty much the same. Ash shows up to new region with only Pikachu, catches the three starters, a bird type, and another pokemon while travelling with one or two former gym leaders. He also gets a new rival who kicks his ass every time they face off until he finally defeats them at the region's league championship... And then loses the next fight against somebody we don't know anything about.

Lather, rinse, repeat for 14+ years.

And expect Pikachu to pretty much return to being a starter pokemon to the point of losing against a water type in the first gym.
    Last edited by The Dog; 03-20-2013 at 09:29 PM.
    "When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."

- C.S. Lewis

Dory St. Johns on Wikicadia