Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Sailor Moon, is it anyone's guilty pleasure?

It's one of mine.

I remembered when i was 14 back in 95 tuning in on TV which was around the same time i discovered Dragonball, i thought some of the chicks were quite hot especially when i was a teen watching the show on Cartoon Network, the stories are quite nice and was a fun show.

Psst, it's a pleasure, but I got no guilt about it. I haven't watched the show in a long time, but I do remember them from Toonami back in the day, too, but I've also watched the uncut version that I downloaded on my computer (the series was out of print at that point), but I lost it when my computer crashed last year. Haven't mustered up the resolve to redownload it or rewatch it on YouTube. Bit too long, and it hits that DBZ syndrome of having a lot of filler. I'm hoping it gets a re-release in the States when the new series starts.

The manga is in the process of re-releasing here in the States, and I enjoy that a good deal. I love how it feels like a legit superhero story, only writing for women (or from a pure feminine POW, if you wanna say it more PCish). And it's got a lot of weird sci-fiy tropes from American comic books mixed in there, too.

Pleasure? Yes.
    Guilty? Nope! Sailor Moon has hilarious moments, touching moments, badass moments, lovable characters, and ShadowJack's fantastic take on the whole thing.
    Last edited by sun tzu; 01-01-2013 at 01:06 PM.

it was never a fave and i barely watched it, but it did have some funny moments. nothing to feel guilty about. it's not like some in your face pedo crap, oops i mean 'loli', that's out there

Eh. I'd watch it, but I was never really a fan. I found it dull how the fights always seemed to amount to SM throwing her magic frisbee on the bad guy and then the good guys won, and the relationship stuff wasn't very compelling for me. Mostly, I liked those evil general dudes.

The first magical girl show I got majorly into was Carcaptor Sakura. (Later Lyrical Nanoha, and more recently Senki Zesshou Symphogear.)
    Last edited by Ghost; 12-30-2012 at 02:47 PM.
    "This doesn't look easy. But I bet it is!"
    -Homer Simpson

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck

I enjoyed it a great deal back in the day, though I don't remember if I was guilty or not. Probably not, since I openly drew a Rayearth fancomic for a class assignment. Sailor Moon inspired a big change in my art style that led to where I am today.

Quote Originally Posted by 7thangel View Post
    it was never a fave and i barely watched it, but it did have some funny moments. nothing to feel guilty about. it's not like some in your face pedo crap, oops i mean 'loli', that's out there
    Eh, the Scouts are nominally 14. From a high-enough horse, it's all pedo filth.
    Soap Operus

"Gendou is probably the least whiny, but... well, let's just say that his reaction was probably not quite as healthy as a good whine."
    -The Drunkard Kid, on Evangelion

Nothing guilty about it.
    "After a long absence, the original Thor returned to his comic book, only to discover that comics in the 90s were very different to what he remembered. But Thor quickly fit right in by going violently insane."

"You know, if everyone the Punisher killed turns out to be no more dead than anyone else who dies in Marvel Comics, he's going to be in BIG trouble one of these days."

- Both from Marvel Year in Review 1993

BANNED

I watched it back when it was on Toonami, but only have vague memories. Might need to give it a go some time.

I watched it, but didn't really like it. I liked sailor mercury and she was not very well featured later on in the show.

If you're feeling guilty for enjoying Sailor Moon, you're enjoying it a bad way and shame on you.

Or, you're too easily guilted.

Sailor Moon's good stuff, from the cartoon to the comics and live action. Heck, I've youtubed the some of the stage shows to watch with kids.

Quote Originally Posted by MKTerra View Post

Eh, the Scouts are nominally 14. From a high-enough horse, it's all pedo filth.
    unless i missed the gratuitous panty shots and the 'accidental' nudity scenes, etc, etc, it's from a normal chair. but again, i barely watched the series

Quote Originally Posted by 7thangel View Post
    unless i missed the gratuitous panty shots and the 'accidental' nudity scenes, etc, etc, it's from a normal chair. but again, i barely watched the series
    Depends if you count the transformation scenes.
    Soap Operus

"Gendou is probably the least whiny, but... well, let's just say that his reaction was probably not quite as healthy as a good whine."
    -The Drunkard Kid, on Evangelion

Presuming he's taking the Toonami version, those were obviously edited. Seeing the uncut version even, the nudity is so lacking in detail from what I remember, it's hard to even call that too bad

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Moon View Post
    Presuming he's taking the Toonami version, those were obviously edited. Seeing the uncut version even, the nudity is so lacking in detail from what I remember, it's hard to even call that too bad
    Toonami/DIC actually missed quite a few panty shot edits, believe it or not. I always found that odd.

And there's no way I'd feel ashamed about watching it. It was a good, fun show with a dynamic cast of characters, humorous moments, some intense storylines(once you got past the "monster of the week" formula) and quite a few tearjerkers. It was my first anime and helped ease me into the fandom, so I owe a lot to it. The Black Moon Arc will remain my favorite out of the entire series, mostly because Death/Doom Phantom rocks. Well, next to Galaxia anyway.

Watching the Americanized version was a guilty pleasure for me. But that was a dumbed down and heavily edited version. Watching the original, unedited series removed the "guilty" part. I'm proud to say that I have every episode (including the Sailor Stars series) and movie on DVD.
    Current favorites: Claymore, Puella Magi Kazumi Magica, A Certain Scientific Railgun, Justice League, Birds of Prey