Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should the old TV series get an updated soundtrack?

I've been watching some of the old tv episodes lately. The soundtrack is mostly what makes it feel so dated and cheesy. Does anyone think Warner Bros. should release it with more modern music?

It's really not the music that makes it feel oudated and cheesy. Being extremely oudated and cheesy is what makes it feel oudated and cheesy.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Red Mask View Post
    I've been watching some of the old tv episodes lately. The soundtrack is mostly what makes it feel so dated and cheesy. Does anyone think Warner Bros. should release it with more modern music?
    Alot of hearts would explode in anger if WW suddenly broke out in gandam-style (or whatever that thing is called)

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Alot of hearts would explode in anger if WW suddenly broke out in gandam-style (or whatever that thing is called)
    Explode with love!

Course, I'm still waiting for this

to be a full-blown thing, and if that moment's passed, then, well gangnam style it is. Got to keep moving forward.
    Last edited by T Hedge Coke; 12-30-2012 at 04:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by T Hedge Coke View Post
    Explode with love!
    Yup.

Jean Grey : What makes you such a bitch, Emma?
    Emma Frost : Breeding, darling. Top class breeding.

Err, no. Especially if you're talking about music, not SFX.
    C'mon, Disco is so cool!
    Sexism: men are from Ares, women are from Aphrodite.

Nope, leave everything as is regarding the 70's series. It was great for its time. Although it'd be laughed out of town in 2012...when we've seen very well-done female-driven formidable heroes such as Jennifer Garner in Alias. That said, I have a feeling if Lynda Carter was in her 20's right now, with the right material and director she would do a super interpretation of what's sure to be a more serious kick-butt WW in both the upcoming CW TV show and the JL film.

Quote Originally Posted by Don-Jack View Post
    Err, no. Especially if you're talking about music, not SFX.
    C'mon, Disco is so cool!
    A lot of people say that the WW show was "campy". I thought that the earlier Batman show was "campy" with the Whack! Wham! Pow! etc... I think some element of camp was involved here and there.. but for the most part I think the show (particularly the WWII series) was actually very well done. It all went to hell in a handbasket when it moved into 'present time' after the 3rd or 4th episode.

Dated? Of course! It was 40 years ago almost.

I don't get why the 2nd and 3rd season are so overlooked. My favorite episode is from the 1st season ($2 bill), but the first half of 2nd season and the entire 3rd season is more consistently good. Besides, the costume, the effects, the production and Lynda's acting was much better. Maybe the scripts became more campy, but more complex too. AND DISCO!

Maybe it's because I didn't grew up watching it. The first season is not more nostalgic or something like that to me.

And I don't care about "campiness". Watch old things with present eyes to criticize is dumb. That was the way most of the adventure series were done.
    Last edited by Don-Jack; 12-31-2012 at 06:15 AM.

The curious one.

Gotta admit sometimes that sound track gets to me. The used it mostly for the action sequences and it took away from them in my opinion. I have a fondness for the WW2 setting because Diana could be played a little naive and I liked that. She was exploring a new world and I always had the feeling that maybe after the war she and Steve would settle down some how. In the 1970's version of the show that was glossed over and I wondered how their relationship ended. Plus Lyle Waggoner was pushed more and more out of the show and I missed their interplay. Wasn't too fond of that computer either.

I don't get why the 2nd and 3rd season are so overlooked. My favorite episode is from the 1st season ($2 bill), but the first half of 2nd season and the entire 3rd season is more consistently good. Besides, the costume, the effects, the production and Lynda's acting was much better. Maybe the scripts became more campy, but more complex too. AND DISCO!

Maybe it's because I didn't grew up watching it. The first season is not more nostalgic or something like that to me.

And I don't care about "campiness". Watch old things with present eyes to criticize is dumb. That was the way most of the adventure series were done.
    The reason I didn't like Seasons 2+ is because after awhile, it seemed as if it became "The Lynda Carter Dressed as Wonder Woman Show" She seemed cocky and condescending. She lost the innocence and naivete which made Season 1 a little more believable to me. Yes, she appeared to be much more beautiful as time went by... but her attitude turned me off.

Actually, I think the loss of naivity made the character closer to the comics. Diana was never so naive as she is in the first season, even in the first Marston's stories. She actually already had sarcastic humour. And on the 2nd and 3rd season, she is not "cocky and condescending" most of the time. Just when talking with enemies, being sarcastic and all. And telling jokes to Steve. Maybe she should remain a little naive, but she spent some years on the war, she already had learned some things.
    I think the "strong talking" Wonder Woman from 2nd and 3rd season is much more alike to Wonder Woman from comics than the "smooth talking and inocent" one.

Yeah, this kind of pop culture didn't even have the kind of geeky respect as Star Trek did. Lynda Carter said in the commentary how Diana usually found the behavior of the criminals amusing because she comes from Paradise Island. Dan Slott handles it better when he first wrote She-Hulk because he had so much Marvel history to make fun of. I don't actually like Wonder Woman to be naive in Man's World, anymore than I want her to have that battleaxe attitude from the animated movie. I prefer someone is patient, wise, and mature. Television from that period had this attitude that society should become better regardless of the growing problems, but in a hopeful way. It didn't have a more cynical, hardline attitude like what we see most of today's cop dramas.

Actually, I think the loss of naivity made the character closer to the comics. Diana was never so naive as she is in the first season, even in the first Marston's stories. She actually already had sarcastic humour. And on the 2nd and 3rd season, she is not "cocky and condescending" most of the time. Just when talking with enemies, being sarcastic and all. And telling jokes to Steve. Maybe she should remain a little naive, but she spent some years on the war, she already had learned some things.
    I think the "strong talking" Wonder Woman from 2nd and 3rd season is much more alike to Wonder Woman from comics than the "smooth talking and inocent" one.
    I feel Lynda stopped playing Wonder Woman after a while. She was just playing herself in WW costume. Then towards the end she even started bringing her singing into the show. It became too much like a Variety show where getting dressed like WW got in the way. She started using the show as a vehicle for her performing. I just didn't like it after awhile, and I kind of got tired of HER after a while (Not, WW... L.Carter)

The curious one.

Still there were some great moments. I'll always love the show where she went to a Science Fiction Convention. But the main problem with the shows post-WW2 was that there was almost not attempt to disguise her Wonder Woman persona from her Diana persona. Even though she was completely helpless as Diana only one villain took advantage of that.