Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

Default What's your 2012 classic comic deal of the year?

Meaning your best purchase of the year, in terms of cost or sentimental value?

My runner up would be a Amazing Spider-Man #33 in FINE- which cost me $3...but I got this pair from someone who just wanted to liquidate a pile of books at a sale. The kicker...Ghost Rider being sold by Jehovah's Witnesses at a fund raiser a couple weeks ago...but I'm pretty much certain these ladies never looked at the inner pages.

This pair cost me $5 each...I rebagged them but after looking through them, I'd say one's a 9.0-9.2 and the other around 7.5. Spent $150 in all for 38 books (8 were free)
    Last edited by Jezebel Bond; 12-29-2012 at 08:06 PM.
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

Hi Jez and happy holidays to you - its a great question you asked. Hard to say what was 'the' classic deal/comic for 2012. There were so many. I guess the thing I liked most about comics this year was that my spending was way down on previous years (though by comparison, I don't generally spend much anyway). I think 2012 I became more attuned to my inner-self and I got to make a lot of people happy by giving so many comics to charity. So that for me is the best thing for 2012.

I bought Warlock 1-15 on ebay for about 2 bucks each.
    Life is what you make it.

World's Finest Comics #2 for $140.

I bought a ton of great stuff this year -- the huge lots of romance stuff come to mind, as does picking up more than half the Marvel Conan run for under a dollar each -- but I think my top acquisitions were both Archie related, which is sort of funny because I wasn't even collecting Archie when the year began.

I bought the original art to the entire issue of Jughead vol. 2 #112, kept the cover and three half-splash pages, and sold the remaining pages. I ended up actually making a small profit, so on top of getting the art I wanted basically for free I also ended up with a big pile of back issues to boot. So my first foray into the world of original art was a big success in my book.

On a somewhat related note, I also bought a beat up but complete copy of Jughead vol. 1 #1 from 1949 for $22, or less than a quarter guide. Very happy with this purchase.

Last edited by Scott Harris; 12-29-2012 at 08:58 PM.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

Great to see photos! Thanks

Lunatic On The Grass pinkfloydsound17's Avatar
    Dark side of the moon (Ontario, Canada to be exact)

Hmmm going to be a toss up for me....I would have to go with my copy of ASM 97 that cost me all of $12. Easily a solid upper FN grade and a signature of Gil Kane to boot. Second would be Batman #251 which just came in the other day. It is a solid VG+ and cost me next to nothing. Third would be the huge lot of 467 comics I bought, out of which I have already broke even selling stuff I did not want and got to keep around 80 comics I wanted to boot. Essentially, free comics. Been a good year for me for expanding into other series and I will continue that into 2013
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02825.jpg   DSC02823.jpg   batman251.jpg  

For me it was finding a F/VF copy of Avengers Annual 10 (1st Rogue) in a dollar bin, which allowed me to turn around and trade my NM copy to a local dealer for a large chunk of the early Warlord run I had been eyeing for a time. For the Annual I got First Issue Special 8 in Fine plus 25-30 issues of Warlord pre-#75. Considering I had only paid $1 for the NM copy of Annual 10 when I first started collecting Avengers' back issues in high school, it was $2 for a large chunk of Grell's Warlord in the end.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Quote Originally Posted by pinkfloydsound17 View Post
    Third would be the huge lot of 467 comics I bought, out of which I have already broke even selling stuff I did not want and got to keep around 80 comics I wanted to boot.
    That's the spirit! I usually employ this technique whenever I order books from Mile High...a couple dozen which includes my own. After I sell off the surplus, I get my money back netting my 6-8 books for free. It's fun when the commodity side of comics becomes self-financing, means there's more cash to spend on other books.

Although I have a challenge next year, I want to focus on single key issues rather than runs or mixed lots...still need a high-grade Spidey #50 (first Kingpin), #27 (5th Goblin) and #129 (first Punisher). And all those 70s Batman books with Ra's Al Ghul.

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

Quote Originally Posted by shaxper View Post
    World's Finest Comics #2 for $140.

Wow!

Truly awesome!

I thought snagging Time Spirits 1-8 for ten bucks was a good deal, but you bought a piece of real history.

Have you read it, or would the condition it's in make that too hazardous a proposition?

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Have you read it, or would the condition it's in make that too hazardous a proposition?
    I never buy a comic I won't read. Just waiting for the right moment to fully savor the experience

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1102228371724040_29.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	106566

Probably not the 'Best' deal I made all year, but Superman #10 from 1941 was a good enough buy, and the current crown jewel of my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Montana View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1102228371724040_29.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	106566

Probably not the 'Best' deal I made all year, but Superman #10 from 1941 was a good enough buy, and the current crown jewel of my collection.
    Very nice! What did it set you back?

Great to see a couple of Golden Age classics...hoping to add a few more wartime era books this year.

I got John Buscema's awesome GN Conan The Rogue, which sells for $100 or more here in the States from a seller on Ebay Germany for 30 Euros plus s&h. (about $55 total).