Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher-Z View Post
    ^Thats pretty much been the only thing going on here. "Hes an evil rapist, his costume is ugly!!! Hes JUST like the Punisher!" the 3 Deathstroke fans in this thread already stated our piece and thats the only retorts were getting.

Youre going to run yourself in circles, might as well just let it be.
    I don't think that is what people are criticizing. Sometimes a character works better as a antagonist then a protagonist. Really what would Deathstroke do in his own movie? Who would he fight? Who would be his supporting cast?

Frankly I think the Deathstroke vs. Titans story are far more interesting and classic then Deathstroke going on some random mercenary missions. Deathstroke vs. the Titans something I would rather see on the silver screen then some random mercenary adventure with Deathstroke.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias March View Post
    Ok take a breath. Let's consider what adapting a comic to a movie means.

Take for example Tintin. Innocuous, yes? Entirely suitable for development into a film.

Except director Spielberg faced a bit of a problem. See Herge had continued working on Tintin books during WW2, which in effect meant he was employed by a fascist newspaper. Some even suggest Herge himself was a budding fascist until after the war.

Then there's Tintin In The Congo, the debut of our lovable little hero, here shown racially abusing Africans. Ho ho, what fun.

So Spielberg had to contend with reporters asking him questions as to why he was adapting a work that featured both fascist and racist undertones at different times during its run.

Obviously the film itself did not dwell on this - this article even argues that as a result the film loses some of the energy of the books http://www.theatlantic.com/entertain...-books/250382/ - because it would have made the series less marketable.

Now imagine the scene. Guy pitches a Deathstroke movie to the budget-conscious DC suits who are still smarting at the failure of Green Lantern and the phenomenal success of Marvel Studios. Our budding director uses words like badass and anti-hero. Will it be based on any of the comics? Well no, the comics feature statutory rape and our hero hunting teenagers during his most famous appearances. So why are we making a Deathstroke movie then? What is it about the character aside from the horrible things that he has done that makes him memorable? Why should audiences come see a film about a character who is just another gun-toting meathead - stripped of any sense of threat or perversity, as in his original appearances?

What makes Deathstroke, Deathstroke, if he is not a horrifying villain - and why should audiences want to see a movie with the character?
    Well there you go. Budding director or writer can just always eliminate whatever aspects of the comic origin that they don't think will sell well with movie audiences and keep the ones they think that will. Every movie adaptation of a comic book story is like that anyway. Write a movie about an antihero/badass bounty hunter with super human abilities and whose name is Slade Wilson. Even with out the statutory rape history you keep bringing up, that still sounds like Deathstroke. Nobody in the movie going demographic cares about a movie character's comic book origin anyway.

Besides, Deathstroke has been rebooted. Potential readers who might want to read to comics because of the movie will most likely start with Deathstroke # 1 New 52.

Born under a wandrin Star Tobias March's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by beetle_booster View Post
    Well there you go. Budding director or writer can just always eliminate whatever aspects of the comic origin that they don't think will sell well with movie audiences and keep the ones they think that will. Every movie adaptation of a comic book story is like that anyway. Write a movie about an antihero/badass bounty hunter with super human abilities and whose name is Slade Wilson. Even with out the statutory rape history you keep bringing up, that still sounds like Deathstroke. Nobody in the movie going demographic cares about a movie character's comic book origin anyway.

Besides, Deathstroke has been rebooted. Potential readers who might want to read to comics because of the movie will most likely start with Deathstroke # 1 New 52.
    So then what makes it a Deathstroke movie? In essence, who is the character? As Master Megalomaniac says, he makes for an interesting antagonist. Any attempt to make him a hero seems redundant. It's interesting to look at the promo for Kyle Higgins' first issue script, which takes inspiration from this very idea.

A metahuman mercenary who made a living taking out the toughest targets, Deathstroke was once a name that commanded fear and respect from opponents and clients alike. But as Slade Wilson slowly drifted away from the hunting and assassination missions that made him legendary, the name “Deathstroke” has lost some of its meaning.

My concern is any film that went down the same path would feel just like Red, but with costumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I could name way, way, way more than 10 Superman stories worth mentioning. I can't name one for Deathstroke. I mean there's the whole Terra story, but that's more the Titans...
    By all means give it a shot,name 10 critically recognized Superman stories that are IN continuity of old DCU(there goes Red Son and Kingdom Come)
    I'll give you All-Star,despite being non canon to the rest of DC it is still the definitive take on Supes but after that we have Death of Supes,Birthright,Johns Action comics and??? yup nothing worth mentioning .

I agree on Deathstroke his most recognized appearances are in the Titans book and not once did I ever claim that he had some of the most sophisticated stories under his belt.

Quote Originally Posted by The Master Meglomaniac View Post
    I don't think that is what people are criticizing. Sometimes a character works better as a antagonist then a protagonist. Really what would Deathstroke do in his own movie? Who would he fight? Who would be his supporting cast?

Frankly I think the Deathstroke vs. Titans story are far more interesting and classic then Deathstroke going on some random mercenary missions. Deathstroke vs. the Titans something I would rather see on the silver screen then some random mercenary adventure with Deathstroke.
    His family will be his supporting cast and I already mentioned the Jackal and David Cain as potential villains

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias March View Post
    Ok take a breath. Let's consider what adapting a comic to a movie means.

Take for example Tintin. Innocuous, yes? Entirely suitable for development into a film.

Except director Spielberg faced a bit of a problem. See Herge had continued working on Tintin books during WW2, which in effect meant he was employed by a fascist newspaper. Some even suggest Herge himself was a budding fascist until after the war.

Then there's Tintin In The Congo, the debut of our lovable little hero, here shown racially abusing Africans. Ho ho, what fun.

So Spielberg had to contend with reporters asking him questions as to why he was adapting a work that featured both fascist and racist undertones at different times during its run.

Obviously the film itself did not dwell on this - this article even argues that as a result the film loses some of the energy of the books http://www.theatlantic.com/entertain...-books/250382/ - because it would have made the series less marketable.

Now imagine the scene. Guy pitches a Deathstroke movie to the budget-conscious DC suits who are still smarting at the failure of Green Lantern and the phenomenal success of Marvel Studios. Our budding director uses words like badass and anti-hero. Will it be based on any of the comics? Well no, the comics feature statutory rape and our hero hunting teenagers during his most famous appearances. So why are we making a Deathstroke movie then? What is it about the character aside from the horrible things that he has done that makes him memorable? Why should audiences come see a film about a character who is just another gun-toting meathead - stripped of any sense of threat or perversity, as in his original appearances?

What makes Deathstroke, Deathstroke, if he is not a horrifying villain - and why should audiences want to see a movie with the character?
    Wait you actually WANT him to rape someone onscreen? cause you know that's your points seem to be implying.

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    His family will be his supporting cast and I already mentioned the Jackal and David Cain as potential villains
    I would still rather see him fight the Titans then fight David Cain or Jackal. David Cain would work best in some sort of Batman universe story where they can introduce Cass Cain then some story where he fights Deathstroke. Really Deathstroke's best stories are the ones where he is fighting against the Titans then any sort of solo adventure. He makes for a better antagonist then protagonist.

Quote Originally Posted by The Master Meglomaniac View Post

Thats been the retorts to most of the facts said. Opinionated facts followed by just personal attacks "Man his costume, hes just like the Punisher, I hate rapists". He'd kill people, do romantic travels across the globe, have interactions with his awesome butler/friend, give a little depth with his family situation and what not. The antagonist could be some bastard whos a mass murderer and way worse than Deathstroke. Like that guy from the last issue who was burning people alive and killing left and right.

By all means give it a shot,name 10 critically recognized Superman stories that are IN continuity of old DCU(there goes Red Son and Kingdom Come)
    I'll give you All-Star,despite being non canon to the rest of DC it is still the definitive take on Supes but after that we have Death of Supes,Birthright,Johns Action comics and??? yup nothing worth mentioning.
    All-Star
    Birthright
    Death
    John's Action

Panic in the Sky
    Camelot Falls
    Kryptonite
    For the Man Who Has Everything
    For All Seasons
    Black Ring

This is ignoring Byrne's run, as well as Stern's, Rucka's, and Simone's.
    Google is your friend. Have a question? Look it up. ∙ BlogSequential Salon

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brady View Post
    All-Star
    Birthright
    Death
    John's Action

Panic in the Sky
    Camelot Falls
    Kryptonite
    For the Man Who Has Everything
    For All Seasons
    Black Ring

This is ignoring Byrne's run, as well as Stern's, Rucka's, and Simone's.
    Oops forgot Moore,haven't read mean seasons cause I hate Loeb,Black ring is not a Superman story and the moment Superman got involved(which was only the last issue btw) the whole story went downhill.

I dont recall Simone having a run on Superman and the rest mediocre,it's like claiming Doug Moench and Brubakers run on Batman were memorable.

BANNED

Thats been the retorts to most of the facts said. Opinionated facts followed by just personal attacks "Man his costume, hes just like the Punisher, I hate rapists". He'd kill people, do romantic travels across the globe, have interactions with his awesome butler/friend, give a little depth with his family situation and what not. The antagonist could be some bastard whos a mass murderer and way worse than Deathstroke. Like that guy from the last issue who was burning people alive and killing left and right.
    Why not just sit down and watch one of Craigs Bond movies then?

haven't read mean seasons cause I hate Loeb,
    I hate most of Loeb's work, but For All Seasons is really good.

Simone's run on Superman had Byrne on art.
    Google is your friend. Have a question? Look it up. ∙ BlogSequential Salon

He'd kill people, do romantic travels across the globe, have interactions with his awesome butler/friend, give a little depth with his family situation and what not.
    Romantic travels across the globe ?

What you described there is generic & boring and sounds nothing like the Deathstroke that Deathstroke fans would want to see and that non-DS fans would even care about.

Again, what would be the point ?

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Why not just sit down and watch one of Craigs Bond movies then?
    Yeah, why watch anything else thats not James Bond. Why like anything at all thats not James Bond. Who needs a new Batman movie when you have James Bond.

Quote Originally Posted by CBikle View Post
    Romantic travels across the globe ?

What you described there is generic & boring and sounds nothing like the Deathstroke that Deathstroke fans would want to see and that non-DS fans would even care about.

Again, what would be the point ?
    Romantic travels as in dramatized, not as in romantic in the love sense of the world.

Batman is a guy who dresses up as a bat and stops crime.
    Superman is an alien disguised as a human.
    Green Lantern is a guy with a ring.
    Deathstroke is a mercanary with powers.

Theyre all reflectivity simple concepts. And I'm sure thats not what Deathstroke fans want. Especially considering thats what happens in his solo series and what he's known for. Read a Deathstroke book in your life before speaking.

We are talking about action movies here. Most are not pieces of fictional genius that require complicated stories and histories. That's why most are suggesting that Deathstroke is suitable for a low budget, high action, popcorn flick.