Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    What series would that be? Comics.org says that his longest-running ongoing ran 40 issues, and that was from 1991 to 1994.

Also, is your spacebar broken or something?
    I think he just added up the three Deathstroke ongoing series, which comes out at 69 issues.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

I really do not care if we (comic book readers) like Deathstroke, hate Deathstroke, think he is a (fictional) rapists or murderous psychopath, love or hate every story he has appeared in throughout his long history or whatever the hell. My thoughts were to find a DCU character that could compete against and pull in the same movie going crowds that loves the Wolverine movies so much. I wanted a character that was tough, badass, and impressive with his physical abilities that are comic bookish, but also still sort of relate-able. That is Slade Wilson to me, he was a military man that volunteered for an experiment to better soldiers, he became a mercenary and assassin, he had a butler/best friend like Batman, he has family drama out the yin/yang...come on, a movie like this could write itself. I'm reading through the posts and wondering just what the hell we are even talking about anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by Warmaker1 View Post
    I really do not care if we (comic book readers) like Deathstroke, hate Deathstroke, think he is a (fictional) rapists or murderous psychopath, love or hate every story he has appeared in throughout his long history or whatever the hell. My thoughts were to find a DCU character that could compete against and pull in the same movie going crowds that loves the Wolverine movies so much. I wanted a character that was tough, badass, and impressive with his physical abilities that are comic bookish, but also still sort of relate-able. That is Slade Wilson to me, he was a military man that volunteered for an experiment to better soldiers, he became a mercenary and assassin, he had a butler/best friend like Batman, he has family drama out the yin/yang...come on, a movie like this could write itself. I'm reading through the posts and wondering just what the hell we are even talking about anymore...
    It's simple: without his backstory, there's not enough to make him interesting or stand out from any other action-movie character and with his backstory, he's completely unlikeable and unrelatable, but would still make a good villain for a superhero movie.

Either way, you can't wrap a whole movie around the guy.

What series would that be? Comics.org says that his longest-running ongoing ran 40 issues, and that was from 1991 to 1994.

That series actually lasted 61 issues, which isnít bad for a DC character that isn't Batman or Superman.

It was three series that ware all part of the same series.

Deathstroke the Terminator from 1-40
    Deathstroke the Hunted from 41-47 with a 0 thrown in
    Deathstroke from 48-60
    D-Deadman! You killed Deadman!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brady View Post
    That's fine and all, but that doesn't change the perception. You simply can't debunk "I just don't like the character". And let's face it, your attitude here has been dismissive, antagonistic, and juvenile, further hurting your case.

Here's a thing that hurts Deathstroke with comic fans:

The New52 title was doing so poorly that editors thought Rob Liefeld would make it better. Yes, it's destiny just by the name & costume design that Liefeld should work on it, but that never works out so well.

Here's something for non-comic fans to be wary of:

He's called "Deathstroke, the Terminator". (Obviously they'd drop "Terminator" from the title due to confusion with the Governator.)

Given the above, I'm surprised that every post in the "against" column isn't just "Deathstroke movie? BWA-HAHAHAHAHAHA!"

My points earlier regarding his actions toward Terra were not about her, but how Slade treated her in terms of "honor". Sure, she doesn't consider herself a victim, but that doesn't change what he did.

You want to talk about "cold hard facts"? Here's one: So many people couldn't give a crap about/dislike this character you like so much so that they can't even be bothered to remember simple facts about him, or they get conflated with any other dime-a-dozen mercenaries with similar "bad-ass" names and crappy costumes.
    My attitude is backed up by actual facts and objectivity,what about you though? what have you contributed to this thread? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Also going by your brilliant logic Superman is a terrible character cause in over 70 years worth of appearances he barely has 10 comic stories worth mentioning and like half a dozen attempts at his back story to make him more "relate able".

You dont like Deathstroke that's fine,not once did I ever try to convince you otherwise,it's your opinion and I'm cool with it.But like I said why the heck are you posting here? I dont go to Wonder Woman forums and troll it's posters with "Wonder Woman movie BWAHAHAHA".

He did it for the honor of his dead son,again why dont you bother reading stories that you're so fond of referencing?

I'm done with you,your opinion is clouded by bias and prejudice.You are incapable of bringing up logical points,that's all there is to it.

Quote Originally Posted by CBikle View Post
    It's simple: without his backstory, there's not enough to make him interesting or stand out from any other action-movie character and with his backstory, he's completely unlikeable and unrelatable, but would still make a good villain for a superhero movie.

Either way, you can't wrap a whole movie around the guy.
    The ignorance is sickening now,who says there wont be any backstory? The TITANS ARE NOT HIS BACKSTORY.
    Deathstroke is 2 things:
    Mercenary
    Supervillain

He was a mercenary before the Titans were even BORN,all the movie has to do is omit the super villain part and instead focus on his army and merc days.There you have your backstory,I came up with that in a minute,now imagine what actual writers could come up with.

Double post
    Last edited by darkseidpwns; 01-02-2013 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    My attitude is backed up by actual facts and objectivity,what about you though? what have you contributed to this thread? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.
    Except for reasons for "why not a Deathstroke movie".

Also going by your brilliant logic Superman is a terrible character cause in over 70 years worth of appearances he barely has 10 comic stories worth mentioning and like half a dozen attempts at his back story to make him more "relate able".
    I haven't said anything like that at all. You have me confused with someone else.

You dont like Deathstroke that's fine,not once did I ever try to convince you otherwise,it's your opinion and I'm cool with it.
    Bull crap.

But like I said why the heck are you posting here?
    Because I was curious.

He did it for the honor of his dead son,again why dont you bother reading stories that you're so fond of referencing?
    Uh, I didn't ask about the why. You're thinking of someone else again.

I'm done with you,your opinion is clouded by bias and prejudice.You are incapable of bringing up logical points,that's all there is to it.
    By all means, re-examine your posts here. You'll find this statement applies to you more than I.
    Google is your friend. Have a question? Look it up. ∙ BlogSequential Salon

"It's simple: without his backstory, there's not enough to make him interesting or stand out from any other action-movie character and with his backstory, he's completely unlikeable and unrelatable, but would still make a good villain for a superhero movie.

Either way, you can't wrap a whole movie around the guy".

I don't necessarily agree with your comment. Although it might not very well happen I believe a movie about Deathstroke the Terminator would translate very well. Myself, darkseidpwns, and others have gone into detail laying out the reasons why we believe such a movie would succeed, we are not trying to convert anyone to believe the same, just stating our own opinions. The character could work in my opinion, he has the necessary backstory, prowess and creditably to attract the attention of movie goers IF the movie is done right and done well. I would say again that DC/Warner needs to think outside the box and take changes with movie properties. Then I recall attempts such as the Godawful Jonah Hex and realize that they have taken some chances with movies but did a miserable job in the execution, Green Lantern falls into that category as well. At times I wonder if DC/Warner is even concerned about catching up with Marvel in the movie arena because if they were then surely they would realize it will take more than one big movie every four to five years and put more real effort into it...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brady View Post
    Except for reasons for "why not a Deathstroke movie".

I haven't said anything like that at all. You have me confused with someone else.

Bull crap.

Because I was curious.

Uh, I didn't ask about the why. You're thinking of someone else again.

By all means, re-examine your posts here. You'll find this statement applies to you more than I.
    Whatever makes you sleep at night,I have brought actual evidence and info to this forum.You on the other hand have given absolutely nothing other than"Deathstroke is an evil rapist,so he shouldn't get a movie".which is completely and utterly false and even it was true it still doesn't matter tell that to the guys making the Nemesis flick.

^Thats pretty much been the only thing going on here. "Hes an evil rapist, his costume is ugly!!! Hes JUST like the Punisher!" the 3 Deathstroke fans in this thread already stated our piece and thats the only retorts were getting.

Youre going to run yourself in circles, might as well just let it be.

Very good point darkseidpwns. There is a Nemesis is the works and this rip-off character is far worse than Deathstroke has ever been. Plus, this is a movie about a villain movie which blows that "no villain movie" theory right out of the water...

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I could name way, way, way more than 10 Superman stories worth mentioning. I can't name one for Deathstroke. I mean there's the whole Terra story, but that's more the Titans...

Born under a wandrin Star Tobias March's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    Whatever makes you sleep at night,I have brought actual evidence and info to this forum.You on the other hand have given absolutely nothing other than"Deathstroke is an evil rapist,so he shouldn't get a movie".which is completely and utterly false and even it was true it still doesn't matter tell that to the guys making the Nemesis flick.
    Ok take a breath. Let's consider what adapting a comic to a movie means.

Take for example Tintin. Innocuous, yes? Entirely suitable for development into a film.

Except director Spielberg faced a bit of a problem. See Herge had continued working on Tintin books during WW2, which in effect meant he was employed by a fascist newspaper. Some even suggest Herge himself was a budding fascist until after the war.

Then there's Tintin In The Congo, the debut of our lovable little hero, here shown racially abusing Africans. Ho ho, what fun.

So Spielberg had to contend with reporters asking him questions as to why he was adapting a work that featured both fascist and racist undertones at different times during its run.

Obviously the film itself did not dwell on this - this article even argues that as a result the film loses some of the energy of the books http://www.theatlantic.com/entertain...-books/250382/ - because it would have made the series less marketable.

Now imagine the scene. Guy pitches a Deathstroke movie to the budget-conscious DC suits who are still smarting at the failure of Green Lantern and the phenomenal success of Marvel Studios. Our budding director uses words like badass and anti-hero. Will it be based on any of the comics? Well no, the comics feature statutory rape and our hero hunting teenagers during his most famous appearances. So why are we making a Deathstroke movie then? What is it about the character aside from the horrible things that he has done that makes him memorable? Why should audiences come see a film about a character who is just another gun-toting meathead - stripped of any sense of threat or perversity, as in his original appearances?

What makes Deathstroke, Deathstroke, if he is not a horrifying villain - and why should audiences want to see a movie with the character?