Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Mild-Mannered Reporter
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    28,852

    Default The Manhattan Projects, #8

    "THEY RULE"
    They have waited and watched in the dark and now the old money that runs nations is ready to make their move against the Manhattan Projects. It's the secret leaders of the world like you've never seen them before.
    The thrilling FEEL GOOD, BAD SCIENCE series continues in THE MANHATTAN PROJECTS #8: THEY RULE!


    Full article here.

  2. #2
    Assimilation or Death Omega Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,166

    Default

    Jesus, Mary and Joseph, this looks awesome!
    That's right! Al Gore invented the internet, let's all go kick his ass!

    I got your inconvenient truth right here, motherf*&%!


    Donald M.

  3. #3
    Napoleon of Crime Professor Moriarty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    ???????
    Posts
    2,558

    Default

    here's some fan art from Paul Hanley.



    http://paulhanley.deviantart.com/art...ects-334702359

  4. #4
    Spider-Man Fan david r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Putting the band back together
    Posts
    4,082

    Default

    FDR as a Computational A.I fighting against Nazi Werhner Von Braun. What isn't there to LOVE about this series?

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by david r View Post
    FDR as a Computational A.I fighting against Nazi Werhner Von Braun. What isn't there to LOVE about this series?
    That's the thing. I tried reading the first issue and I couldn't get into it. I don't really like any of these characters, really don't like the art (reminds me of another I'm not a fan of at all and has the same problems), I didn't find it engaging, and ultimately, rather forgettable. I mean, considering everything in the first issue, that should be hard, but weirdly, I was forgetting things as I was reading them. I mean it worked as a solid enough first issue, but... just doesn't do a damn thing for me at all.

  6. #6
    Spider-Man Fan david r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Putting the band back together
    Posts
    4,082

    Default

    I hear what you're saying. It is a series that grows on you. What I enjoy about The Manhattan Projects is how unpredictable it is. You don't know WHAT is going to happen, issue by issue. I keep thinking it can't get any crazier. And yet it does.

    And the liberties Jonathan Hickman takes with the established characters (Oppenheimer, FDR, Truman, Einsten) is amusing. It's definitely different.

  7. #7
    Assimilation or Death Omega Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by david r View Post
    I hear what you're saying. It is a series that grows on you. What I enjoy about The Manhattan Projects is how unpredictable it is. You don't know WHAT is going to happen, issue by issue. I keep thinking it can't get any crazier. And yet it does.

    And the liberties Jonathan Hickman takes with the established characters (Oppenheimer, FDR, Truman, Einsten) is amusing. It's definitely different.
    Yep, and goddammit, it is a fun ride!
    That's right! Al Gore invented the internet, let's all go kick his ass!

    I got your inconvenient truth right here, motherf*&%!


    Donald M.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by david r View Post
    FDR as a Computational A.I fighting against Nazi Werhner Von Braun. What isn't there to LOVE about this series?
    Pretty sure that's not FDR, or the FDR we knew, btw. Notice the British slang? And the fact that Winny Churchill was in the secret group?

  9. #9
    Senior Member jphamlore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,286

    Default

    I find it amazing how in one issue one goes from reading about a group of some of the most despicable characters in comics to suddenly be rooting for them to emerge triumphant over an even greater evil.

  10. #10
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    221B Baker Street
    Posts
    18,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    That's the thing. I tried reading the first issue and I couldn't get into it. I don't really like any of these characters, really don't like the art (reminds me of another I'm not a fan of at all and has the same problems), I didn't find it engaging, and ultimately, rather forgettable. I mean, considering everything in the first issue, that should be hard, but weirdly, I was forgetting things as I was reading them. I mean it worked as a solid enough first issue, but... just doesn't do a damn thing for me at all.
    I probably like this book more than you do, but I can't disagree with some of that. There are some cool ideas, but they're not really done in a way to really care about them. The whole thing oscillates between cold, creepy and just plain absurd I have no idea how seriously I'm supposed to take it.

  11. #11

    Default

    This last issue, for me was freakin' amazing. MP is hands down one of the best books that I'm reading at this moment. Everything from the story to the art is out of the park (seriously, Pitarra has to be, imo, the single best artist in the industry right now when it comes to doing big scenes with lots of people and background details and he's not too shabby when it comes to any other aspect of his work). If I were to have one gripe about this book it's a minor one and a testament to the artist in a way, I suppose... that would be the numerous Easter eggs thrown about the book that contradict the era or whatnot... like in this issue the guy with the shirt that said "I'm fat, lets party"... this sort of thing would bother me a lot less if it happened a lot less and / or was less obvious.. heck, I'd probably just laugh at such things. As is though, it happens frequently enough that it's just slightly annoying to me. Oh well...
    ASM, ELEKTRA, SILVERSURFER, DAREDEVIL, MOONKNIGHT, SHEHULK, FANTASTIC FOUR, MM, INVINCIBLE, INVINCIBLEU, MANHATTAN PR, E OF W, BLACKSCIENCE, BEDLAM, VELVET, TWD, SAGA, Mignolaverse, MASSIVE, MIND MGMT

  12. #12

    Default

    I love this series.
    It's so damn funny and suprising.
    And I think the art is awesome; different style.

  13. #13
    Senior Member tylenoljones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    I probably like this book more than you do, but I can't disagree with some of that. There are some cool ideas, but they're not really done in a way to really care about them. The whole thing oscillates between cold, creepy and just plain absurd I have no idea how seriously I'm supposed to take it.
    The last two issues haven't quite lived up to the promise of the first few issues. A tiny little bit more focus on the characters rather than the events and the craziness going on around them would turn this book from interesting to stellar.

    I'm still holding out hope, as I really loved the first trade and issue 6 was great.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tylenoljones View Post
    The last two issues haven't quite lived up to the promise of the first few issues. A tiny little bit more focus on the characters rather than the events and the craziness going on around them would turn this book from interesting to stellar.

    I'm still holding out hope, as I really loved the first trade and issue 6 was great.
    I kinda thought the last issue was the best. Not that the preceding issues weren't great but with the introduction of the plutocratic conspiracy sphere we're finally given a true (and worthy) antagonist for the incredibly well developed technocratic conspiracy that has been building for the first several issues.
    ASM, ELEKTRA, SILVERSURFER, DAREDEVIL, MOONKNIGHT, SHEHULK, FANTASTIC FOUR, MM, INVINCIBLE, INVINCIBLEU, MANHATTAN PR, E OF W, BLACKSCIENCE, BEDLAM, VELVET, TWD, SAGA, Mignolaverse, MASSIVE, MIND MGMT

  15. #15
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    221B Baker Street
    Posts
    18,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tylenoljones View Post
    The last two issues haven't quite lived up to the promise of the first few issues. A tiny little bit more focus on the characters rather than the events and the craziness going on around them would turn this book from interesting to stellar.

    I'm still holding out hope, as I really loved the first trade and issue 6 was great.
    Yeah I'm still reading and enjoying this book; it's just not free from problems.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •