Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thumbs up What Was Your First Comicbook?

I'm sure someone has made this thread before but couldn't find it with the search tool. If there is and a mod wants to merge it with an existing one that would be fine.

I remember decades or so ago when I was about six after a tonsillectomy I was given a copy of Heathcliff as kind of a consolation. After that I wanted to read about Batman and Spider-Man so I picked up some issues of Detective Comics and Marvel Tales featuring Spider-Man and it pretty much snowballed from there.

Does anyone else share a similar experience? I'm curious to know if people can remember the first comicbook they read. If it effected them a great deal or was a defining moment in their life, or was it just a fun nostalgic memory. Do you remeber the exact issue or what the comic was about?
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Out of a quarter box.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

No, sorry. I was already looking at comics before I could read (and I could read and write by age 4) so I don't remember a specific comic.

Cei-U!
    I summon the half-century's worth of forgetfulness!
    It's hardly a secret that something is badly wrong with me. - Dan B. in the Underworld
    I am ... a condescending prick sometimes. But I usually mean to be. - Paradox
    I'm not infallible. I just act like it. - Me

Veteran Member The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

It was at 7, and uh, it was either Tintin: The Black Island or Batman: A Death In The Family.

Either an Archie or Donald Duck comic my parents bought me to keep me occupied. I will never be able to identify it

It must have been when I was five-ish, I was a huge fan of the Transformers back then, and watched its re-runs religiously (the show's final episode aired when I was not yet one year old, so that's why I only ever caught re-runs).

But anyway, at some point I sadly do not remember, my mother purchased me a Transformers comic book, by Marvel, written by Bob Budiansky. It was a collected volume, binding together 5 issues from about issue 26 to 31 (first published in 1987, the year of my birth). Nowadays, they're not considered the pinnacle of Budiansky's work on Transformers BY FAR, but that didn't stop me from enjoying those stories when I was a wide-eyed kid.

I think the story in that collection that made the greatest impression on me, was King Of The Hill, issue 27 , because it featured a fight between Trypticon and the Dinobots. I was also very much into dinosaurs back in those days, so the robots+dinosaurs was always a winning combination.

Pretty soon after, my mother bought me more floppies and collections of Transformers, and I was very happy with them.

This is one I have had as long as I can remember. I believe it was an inadvertent hand me down from my oldest brother as it always sat in the corner of my bedroom closet on the shelf.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TheGreenHornet1.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	106464

I still have this issue and the scan is my actual comic book. It is in surprisingly nice condition considering I was the first and only person to 'collect' comics in my family.
    Last edited by AZBarbarian; 12-29-2012 at 11:44 AM.

First comic ever? Too young to remember; my grandfather gave me a few when I was four, and I remained interested after that.

But the comic that moved me from an occasional peruser to a monthly comics buyer was Amazing Spider-Man #196, with a September 1979 cover date, so I would have been just shy of my 10th birthday.

(Man, that's still a great cover. No wonder I picked it up.)

I bought new-release comics regularly from then until the March, 2009, release of Dark Avengers #1, when Marvel tried out the $3.99 cover price for the first time.
    Anyway, it is cool for you to acquire acrimony of crumbling time on blast this website.
    --best spam ever

It was probably either The Incredible Hulk #307 by Bill Mantlo and Sal Buscema (early Mike Mignola cover) which was some kind of done-in-one cosmic Moby Dick pastiche, or that issue of the Trial of Flash with Flash standing before a row of giant faces as the cover. The whole comic is basically just evil yellow Flash beating up various Rogues. It made very little sense to me as a kid.

Other contendersÖ

A Claremont/Romita issue of Uncanny X-Men where Juggernaut fights Nimrod and Rogue absorbs everyoneís powers in order to pose on the cover looking like a Nightcrawler/Colossus hybrid. I thought the cover image character was the star of the book for the longest time actually. :)

An issue of Hawkman in which Hawkwoman is apparently killed off-panel (or at least turned into an ashy-woman-shaped blotch on the wall) by villains who appear to be wearing outfits borrowed from Planet of the Vampires.

An issue of Justice League America in which the classic League is captured by communists or some such, kept in green magical bindings by a goateed flutist, and the Detroit League arrives to save them. I think. Somebody gets shot at the end, anyways, and itís supposed to be really sad.

An issue of either Peter Parker, Spider-Man or Spectacular Spider-Man with a modish looking Wasp on the cover and heavily featuring Paladin being a douche. I donít recall if Spider-Man even shows up in it. Another confusing middle-of-the-story type issue. I thought Paladin looked pretty cool as a kid though.

A double-sized issue of Batman and the Outsiders in which a very Jim Aparo-ish Batman beats up Kobra on a space station. Probably the coolest of the lot.

In other words, I canít remember. All of these were comics my dad randomly grabbed off the spinner racks for me while I was home sick in bed.

The first series I ever started following regularly was either Uncanny X-Men, a few years later, starting with the Silvestri issue in which Wolverine is turning into a Brood, or Detective Comics, starting with I have no idea what issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Strangefate View Post
    In other words, I can’t remember. All of these were comics my dad randomly grabbed off the spinner racks for me while I was home sick in bed.
    I'm thinking alot of kids must have had their 1st experience with comics when they were sick/hospitalized. I remember reading my first Cracked & Mad Magazine in a hospital bed as well.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Legion of Super-Heroes #204
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!BfVpLtg!mk~$(KGrHqIH-CoEre81V9i5BL!1lDYRY!~~_35.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	106475
    I must have been 7 at the time. Summer 1974.

Quote Originally Posted by Cei-U! View Post
    No, sorry. I was already looking at comics before I could read... so I don't remember a specific comic.
    This goes for me too. But you can read about some of my earliest comic book recollections here.

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...ago-this-month
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

I was maybe 4 or so but the first one i remember getting was Batman # 500
    Remember, Remember The fifth of November, The gunpowder treason and plot.
    I know of no reason Why the gunpowder treason Should ever be forgot.

My parents owned a used-media type shop in Chicago. So I dunno which of the several thousand comics were my first.

My first favorite series was Spidey Super-Stories. No lie.
    MarkAndrew at Comics Should Be Good
    All my life, my Great Dream has been to grow a triangular head - Roy Thomas

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

I didn't have a first per se...my brothers gave me co-owner 'rights' to theirs...several thousand. But the first comic I ever picked up, according to mom's diary, was a comic with both Iron Man and Hulk on the cover...which I think was Iron Man 74. I was attracted to the bright colours on the cover, not the story inside.
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.