Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

I guess thats were we differ. I always thought the charm of Coulson was that he was this seemly normal guy but actually had more to offer than what his demeanor portrays. And because of that he is like one of the fans since every person in the world has at one time been underestimated and completely counted out.

Besides there are no average S.H.E.I.L.D agents. I pretty sure it's written in their hand book somewhere "Those who can not kick a little A&* Need not apply." If not I'm sure Samuel Jackson will add it in.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NamorsTrident View Post
    I guess thats were we differ. I always thought the charm of Coulson was that he was this seemly normal guy but actually had more to offer than what his demeanor portrays. And because of that he is like one of the fans since every person in the world has at one time been underestimated and completely counted out.

Besides there are no average S.H.E.I.L.D agents. I pretty sure it's written in their hand book somewhere "Those who can not kick a little A&* Need not apply." If not I'm sure Samuel Jackson will add it in.
    That's every fictional character EVER!

It was a very entertaining action film. Not exactly a Criterion Collection addition, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    That's every fictional character EVER!
    Not really. All of the Avengers in the film, even the Hulk, looks like they walked right out of a magazine. While Coulson looks like your average 40 something year old man and acted like it too. The others are defiantly the "cool" kids on the playground.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NamorsTrident View Post
    Not really. All of the Avengers in the film, even the Hulk, looks like they walked right out of a magazine. While Coulson looks like your average 40 something year old man and acted like it too. The others are defiantly the "cool" kids on the playground.
    True. It is nice we have someone like that. Still, giving him more power upgrades misses the point.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I didn't really like it.

The pros:
    -Phil Coulson
    -Stan Lee cameo
    -The line "He's adopted"
    -Thanos
    -RDJ as Iron Man
    -Hiddleston as Loki

The cons:
    -Sam Fury
    -Arrogant brutish Thor with an Australian accent who doesn't speak in Shakespearian dialect
    -Boring assassin Hawkeye with no sense of humor like his 616 counterpart
    -Black Widow only being used as a sex symbol and has no Russian accent
    -"I'm always angry" Really?
    -Generic aliens that all died conveniently to tie up the loose ends
    -Most of the costumes
    -Extremely naive Captain America lacking leadership skills and respect from other members of the team
    -No Ant-Man and Wasp
    -Never saying the word "Assemble." Not even once.
    Agreed with all that.

Here's the thing Avengers was probably the best times i've had at the movies all year, it felt like the type of Spielberg fun ride of the 80s with a lot of great money shots. But it felt hollow. You could drive a van through all the plot holes. Hopefully there's a better writer for Avengers 2. And if I were them I would seriously consider re-casting Evans as Cap, he doesn't come off as the leader of men Cap should be about. He's too "boy next door". To me Cap has always come off as the most experienced of all the Avengers, he's very much an old soul, so it's important that the actor playing should be older or equal of age to the other actors. I think the cartoon really get that(with the voice to boot).
    Last edited by Frank; 12-30-2012 at 01:48 PM.
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    It was a very entertaining action film. Not exactly a Criterion Collection addition, though.
    I don't think anyone's trying to sell the idea that it's a masterpiece of the cinematic art. We're saying it's a jolly damn fine superhero movie.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

Quote Originally Posted by Free-Man View Post
    The street levelers worked within the context of the film. Having two character who worked for SHIELD made it easy to introduce them since the audience already knows what SHIELD is. Thus you don't have to waste more screen time trying to give them origin stories.

I think Joss Whedon even said he tried to include the Wasp but had to write her out because there was simply no way you could introduce a brand new heroine while already juggling that many characters.
    Yeah, it wasn't exactly like all of the characters were planned to be on the team in-story. Hawkeye and Widow just kinda found themselves in the situation by virtue of their being SHIELD agents. I liked that. They were human heroes thrust unintentionally into a crazy situation and they ended up being pretty useful.

Then again, I agree with Tony in the comics, who once said that a team of all powerhouses isn't the solution to every problem. You need a balanced skill set, you know?

And I never hate a movie just because it doesn't follow every single detail of the comic. I still enjoyed the X-Men films despite the fact that the original class wasn't Scott, Jean, Bobby, Hank and Warren. I liked Spider-Man even though they made Mary Jane his original love. It seems very pedantic otherwise. No adaptation is ever gonna be 100% exactly like the source material and I'm okay with that. I just see it as an alternate universe like Ultimate Universe or the cartoons or anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    I don't think anyone's trying to sell the idea that it's a masterpiece of the cinematic art. We're saying it's a jolly damn fine superhero movie.
    agree. the movie had floors but it was still one of the best, if not the best superhero movie made to date. i dont think ant man and wasp would have made any difference..
    i do agree about cap not being right though. but i think changing the actor would kill there perfect little team. i think the writer and actor really need to go read more cap and avengers books. and stop making dumber than the hulk. aside from that...
    keep up the good work marvel, looking foward to avengers 2. and the rest of the marvel studio movies coming out

Only comic book fans could not like The Avengers.
    The Circumstances at the End

Top 10: Astro City, Captain America, East of West, Hawkeye, Lazarus, New Avengers, Saga, Thor: God of Thunder, Wonder Woman, Zero

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by oldforce View Post
    Only comic book fans could not like The Avengers.
    Or people sick of super hero films.

I caught you red-handed Wild_Child's Avatar

The Avengers is like the X-Men films, they were fun but nothing memorable.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    You sure seem gung-ho about the film, which is cool. As I said earlier, I liked the film plenty. It was really fun. I'm hoping the sequel takes a bit more serious tone.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    -Black Widow only being used as a sex symbol and has no Russian accent
    -Extremely naive Captain America lacking leadership skills and respect from other members of the team
    Um NO!
    barring her first scene where she is wearing a Vaugley sexy dancing outfit (being a dancer is a long time part of the comic versions history) BW was not used as sex symbol at all...... on any level.
    ..... not really seeing how he was being naive other than trusting nick fury (he had no reason not too up to that point) and obviously waking up 70 years from the world you know and love will do that to you.
    everyone but tony seemed to respect him fine, and even tony listened and fallowed his lead when shit hit the fan

The Avengers movie was awesome. There was nothing that I didn't like about it. I thought that all the characters had their moments and they excelled in it. Just my opinion though.
    I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
    - George Washington