Default The Walking Dead CGC crack?

So this question is for all the CGC owners and gurus. I recently purchased a CGC Walking Dead comic book off of ebay, and this is my first CGC comic Ive ever purchased so I have nothing to compare it to. Anyways, as I was inspecting the outer case I noticed that the right spine has a chipped, rugged type crack thats about 2 inches long. The left spine doesnt have anything like that. It is smooth and continuous. I've never seen a CGC comic in person until now, so is this normal? Here is a comparison of the left and right spines of the case.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF5209.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	106442

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF5211.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	106443

Looks like it's just a rough seal. what book is it?

not going to lie, when i opened your thread, i was thinking that i'd be reading about someone else that is addicted to the WD CGCs ala "crack" lol

Welcome to the addiction!

Thanks for your response! I thought people had given up on this thread. Perhaps I should have been more clear on the thread title, however, I do agree with you. The WD is beyond addicting! Anyways this is issue 19 rated at 9.8 and i paid a pretty penny for it, which is why I am so bummed about the case. Fortunately, the seller is awesome enough to issue me a refund. Btw, what are your thoughts about issue 1? Do you think it's going to continue to rise in value? The last cgc 9.8 of issue 1 just sold on ebay for over $3,000! Do you think it's ever going to drop off? I was lucky enough to buy it when it first came out. Too bad I stopped after the first issue.

This place is pretty slow, so keep that in mind.

as for your slab issue, im not really sure it was tampered with. hard to say without seeing it in person. The CGC cases themselves are pretty tamper proof, but not 100%. I think thats because of how large they are. its really not all that easy to have it 100% firm all the way around. After you get your next one in, you'll see what i mean.

i think #1 is going to be a good amount of money for a long time. its one of the most popular Modern comics around.

Thanks for your opinion. What are your thoughts on Thief of Thieves? The comicspro variant shot up in value real fast!

Always glad to talk comics, especially Dead! lol

i read ToT and like it. Not sure about how "huge" it'll get as far as collectors go. if the TV show comes about, then naturally "demand" will also go up

Quote Originally Posted by Comic Fox View Post
    Thanks for your opinion. What are your thoughts on Thief of Thieves? The comicspro variant shot up in value real fast!
    If you're buying comics as an investment then you're making a mistake. Even slabbed comics are poor investments.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

Snarky Infested Anthony Devianza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThoseBackPages View Post
    i think #1 is going to be a good amount of money for a long time. its one of the most popular Modern comics around.
    Yeah, even if the show starts to slip ratings wise, I think #1 will just continue to rise in price, just at a slower pace. As for Thief of Thieves, if the show happens, the first issue will see a decent bump price wise. The last I heard, Eglee is attached to the show and Eglee, the man has written some damn good shows, and was the executive producer of my two favorite seasons of Dexter.

If you're referring to modern comics then that's usually the case. However, older key issues will most likely always retain thier value and will continue to go up in value as well. Slabbed or not, those old and rare key issues have planted thier roots deep within the comic book world, attracting die hard fans and investors. I'm confident that any of those popular key issues will be worth more in 30 years from now, which is far from a poor investment.

And even with the modern comics that won't end up being a good "financial" investment, there's a personal investment attached. Hunting down that hard to find back issue that's in near mint/mint condition can be a fun challenge. But I also love tracking down hard to find action figures, like right now I'm trying to find a Daryl figure locally. Ebayers and online toy retailers have all jacked the price up on that figure, I've seen it go for 150. But I just know some store out here somewhere still has one on the shelf.

You are absolutely right Deviancy. That personal attachment is sometimes priceless, and the search for said comics is always fun. I'm currently on the lookout for a mint Amazing Adventures #11, where Beast has his transformation. There are only a few on eBay but they are in just ok condition.

Man, I just checked out an eBay auction for the Daryl figure and it was at $154.00. I think I would have a hard time laying that kind of cash down, but hey, it's Daryl.

Yeah.. its Daryl... but I'm also thinking if Daryl gets a slightly different look later in the show, McFarlane will put out a second figure. I mean there's already two rick's, and rumor has it, there will be a third later on.
    Last edited by Anthony Devianza; 12-31-2012 at 02:48 AM.

I def think there will be a third Rick figure and a second Daryl, and as soon as that happens you know the first figures will become even more valuable. So much to collect, so little money.