Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Actually I liked the idea of a shallow, celebrity, attention-whore superheroine. Then they kind of Mary Sued her with "Just kidding, I'm actually a physics expert and blah blah blah."

I've always found the more irreverent, celebrity take on superheroes to be interesting, especially the way it was done in Peter Milligan's X-Statix.
    No, I agree, that's what I meant. I liked that they made her a party girl celeb, but then moved away from that and I didn't like where they moved her to. I've always thought that angle was interesting, how a Meta might react to the pressure, fame and or pain of being a hero. We've seen celebrity heroes drunkenly killing in action (freedom Fighters, X-Statix) and alcoholic heroes drunkenly attempting to fight (iron Man and Ms Marvel). We have seen the Whip medicating after her brief first appearance in Seven Soldiers as well. Surprised we haven't seen it explored more.
    Last edited by fishbonex; 12-30-2012 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Lou Fine truly was an amazing artist.

Napoleon of Crime Professor Moriarty's Avatar

the first Freedom Fighters mini is one my favorite works by Justin Gray & Jimmy Palmiotti.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Moriarty View Post
    the first Freedom Fighters mini is one my favorite works by Justin Gray & Jimmy Palmiotti.

It was a very good mini but, lets be honest, all the FREEDOM FIGHTERS series (minis and the 9 issue on-going that was cut too soon) were excellent (and better then some of the stuff being produced now in my book)

Cheers.

James.
    Any Dream worth Having Is A Dream worth Fighting For.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by James Hunter View Post
    It was a very good mini but, lets be honest, all the FREEDOM FIGHTERS series (minis and the 9 issue on-going that was cut too soon) were excellent (and better then some of the stuff being produced now in my book)

Cheers.

James.
    Disagree. The first mini was great. The second was too complicated for a story that wasn't that great. And the ongoing was, in my opinion, really stupid. Filled with unnecessary violence that never lead anywhere. What was the point of what happened with Firebrand? Was there any need for that ultra-discusting storyline that involved the prison?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Kent View Post
    Disagree. The first mini was great. The second was too complicated for a story that wasn't that great. And the ongoing was, in my opinion, really stupid. Filled with unnecessary violence that never lead anywhere. What was the point of what happened with Firebrand? Was there any need for that ultra-discusting storyline that involved the prison?

I will concede that the second mini was perhaps a bit more complicated then it needed to be but I can't agree that the on-going was stupid, it was interesting to explore the notion that the South could have won the Civil War and was a fun exploration of myths.

As to Firebrand? The point of what happened to him was pretty clear, it was necessary for Uncle Sam to come back, he needed a body and Andre was the most partriotic (I'd also like to know what happened to Andy Franklin but that's a separate point).

The point of the prison storyline was to explore the notion that the Government of the DC America would create such an encampment (can you tell I've re-read it recently?? )

Cheers.

James.
    Any Dream worth Having Is A Dream worth Fighting For.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by James Hunter View Post
    I will concede that the second mini was perhaps a bit more complicated then it needed to be but I can't agree that the on-going was stupid, it was interesting to explore the notion that the South could have won the Civil War and was a fun exploration of myths.

As to Firebrand? The point of what happened to him was pretty clear, it was necessary for Uncle Sam to come back, he needed a body and Andre was the most partriotic (I'd also like to know what happened to Andy Franklin but that's a separate point).

The point of the prison storyline was to explore the notion that the Government of the DC America would create such an encampment (can you tell I've re-read it recently?? )

Cheers.

James.
    You didn't understood me. I'm not saying the story itself had no point. But was all the violence needed? I don't mind violence, but that book was so unecessary filled with it. And discusting violence, not just punches and slaps. Was there real need to kill Firebrand? They could've easily come up with other way of bringing Uncle Sam back.

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

I liked the first mini, felt ripped off by the second mini because of the phoned in, xeroxed art work that kept re-using the same panels over and over, traced from photos on a level as bad as or worse than Greg Land.

Hated the ongoing series for the gratuitous violence and gore.
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/